Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/13/2011, 09:16 PM   #101
lacosta28
Premium Member

I know you didn't ask me but you can use one of these at the end of the return. http://www.marinedepot.com/U_Tube_wi...FIFTRP-vi.html

You will need the hose, return pump and I reccomend going to lowes or home depot and getting some stainless steel hose clamps. Or you can use zip ties but they don't clamp down as tight.

lacosta28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2011, 09:22 PM   #102
MrGoodbar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuproman View Post
MrGoodbar
I wanna do the same set up you have there on the return pump. What do you have there at the bottom where the pipe comes out of the pump? Also what are you using at the end of the hose that returns into the tank. This would help me a lot on the plumbing. If you can think of anything else I might need. Please do explain. Thanks again. Even photos help if you have them. I have the model 2 for a 55 gal.
Ok I will help you out with everything. I am new to the reef so I feel like my setup was the easiest you can do. First i have a mag 9.5 return pump in my sump. I have a union fitting that is screwed onto the threads of the pump. This allows me to unscrew the union fitting from the pump so i can take the pump out if i need to replace it etc. without having to replace the plumping. From there i have a little converter piece that screws into the union valve and has threads on one end and is smooth on the other to allow pvc pipe to slide down into it. From there it is about a foot of pvc pipe and on the other end of the pvc i have the same piece i had on the bottom that the pipe slides into and has threads on the other end. Then i have a check valve that allows me to control flow from the pump that is threaded onto the converter piece. On the top of the check valve i have a piece of plastic that is threaded into the valve and on the other end it has grooves to slide the tubing onto. I have about 3 ft of tubing that runs up to the bottom of the stand that connects to a bulk head. I put metal clamps on the hose so it doesnt slide off. Thats about as simple as it gets. The attached pictures go in order of how i described everything. I got all the pvc piping at Home depot for about 10$ and the tubing was the most expensive, it was a roll of it you have to cut and costs about 20$. There is a video i used on Bulk reef supply about how to glue the plumbing and i didnt have a single leak. I used pvc tape on the threads so i didnt have leaks where it wasnt glued. I believe my threads are 1" diameter. I had some guy at HD help me find all the pieces that fit so i didnt have to make mutliple trips and because there is so many pieces of plumbing. If you have any questions let me know i would be more than happy to help you out. I hope this helps explain a little better for you.

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Max NANO 20gal
MrGoodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2011, 09:35 PM   #103
MrGoodbar
Registered Member

One other thing to add is i have an overflow that is built into the tank so the bulk head i have in the bottom of the tank i have an overflow kit that i got from my lfs

not sure if your tank is predrilled or not

Unread 04/13/2011, 09:56 PM   #104
lacosta28
Premium Member

MrGoodbar you have the check valve so you can cut off the siphon for water changes but what do you have to stop the siphon in case of a power loss and you're not home?

lacosta28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2011, 10:06 PM   #105
MrGoodbar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacosta28 View Post
MrGoodbar you have the check valve so you can cut off the siphon for water changes but what do you have to stop the siphon in case of a power loss and you're not home?
I used the sticker that came with the sump to mark my max water level in the third chamber. So what i did was filled the sump up and unplugged everything to create a power outage. Then made the mark on the sump for the max water level. I have a stand pipe in the overflow so only a little water can back siphon and then breaks the siphon since water isnt being pumped back to the tank. just gotta make sure to never fill water above the line otherwise the sump overflows in the third chamber.

Unread 04/14/2011, 06:08 AM   #106
stuproman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacosta28 View Post
I know you didn't ask me but you can use one of these at the end of the return. http://www.marinedepot.com/U_Tube_wi...FIFTRP-vi.html

You will need the hose, return pump and I reccomend going to lowes or home depot and getting some stainless steel hose clamps. Or you can use zip ties but they don't clamp down as tight.
Yea I have this!
It came with the overflow box I ordered. The only thing about it is it so skinny. So that means I have to get something else to fit that to a 3/4" hose or 1". I don't know what size plumbing I need yet.

stuproman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2011, 06:10 AM   #107
stuproman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoodbar View Post
One other thing to add is i have an overflow that is built into the tank so the bulk head i have in the bottom of the tank i have an overflow kit that i got from my lfs

not sure if your tank is predrilled or not
No it's not. Kinda wish it was but I'll deal with it. Thanks for your help. I'm going to read this a hundred more times to understand it better lol.

Unread 04/14/2011, 06:21 AM   #108
stuproman
Registered Member

[QUOTE=MrGoodbar;18640475]Ok I will help you out with everything. I am new to the reef so I feel like my setup was the easiest you can do. First i have a mag 9.5 return pump in my sump. I have a union fitting that is screwed onto the threads of the pump. This allows me to unscrew the union fitting from the pump so i can take the pump out if i need to replace it etc. without having to replace the plumping. From there i have a little converter piece that screws into the union valve and has threads on one end and is smooth on the other to allow pvc pipe to slide down into it. From there it is about a foot of pvc pipe and on the other end of the pvc i have the same piece i had on the bottom that the pipe slides into and has threads on the other end. Then i have a check valve that allows me to control flow from the pump that is threaded onto the converter piece. On the top of the check valve i have a piece of plastic that is threaded into the valve and on the other end it has grooves to slide the tubing onto. I have about 3 ft of tubing that runs up to the bottom of the stand that connects to a bulk head. I put metal clamps on the hose so it doesnt slide off. Thats about as simple as it gets. The attached pictures go in order of how i described everything. I got all the pvc piping at Home depot for about 10$ and the tubing was the most expensive, it was a roll of it you have to cut and costs about 20$. There is a video i used on Bulk reef supply about how to glue the plumbing and i didnt have a single leak. I used pvc tape on the threads so i didnt have leaks where it wasnt glued. I believe my threads are 1" diameter. I had some guy at HD help me find all the pieces that fit so i didnt have to make mutliple trips and because there is so many pieces of plumbing. If you have any questions let me know i would be more than happy to help you out. I hope this helps explain a little better for you.

This picture is the check valve? Where did you get that check valve at? I also got a Mag 9.5 coming in the mail today and hopefully I can start this plumbing today as well. Could you make me a list for Home Depot of what I need to make it a little easier.

Example: three 1" male ends ect ect ect......
If you remember the size of the PVC and clear hosing too. Thanks again. Your a big help. I just started myself last week.

Unread 04/14/2011, 10:39 AM   #109
stuproman
Registered Member

[QUOTE=stuproman;18641442]
Quote:
Ok I will help you out with everything. I am new to the reef so I feel like my setup was the easiest you can do. First i have a mag 9.5 return pump in my sump. I have a union fitting that is screwed onto the threads of the pump. This allows me to unscrew the union fitting from the pump so i can take the pump out if i need to replace it etc. without having to replace the plumping. From there i have a little converter piece that screws into the union valve and has threads on one end and is smooth on the other to allow pvc pipe to slide down into it. From there it is about a foot of pvc pipe and on the other end of the pvc i have the same piece i had on the bottom that the pipe slides into and has threads on the other end. Then i have a check valve that allows me to control flow from the pump that is threaded onto the converter piece. On the top of the check valve i have a piece of plastic that is threaded into the valve and on the other end it has grooves to slide the tubing onto. I have about 3 ft of tubing that runs up to the bottom of the stand that connects to a bulk head. I put metal clamps on the hose so it doesnt slide off. Thats about as simple as it gets. The attached pictures go in order of how i described everything. I got all the pvc piping at Home depot for about 10$ and the tubing was the most expensive, it was a roll of it you have to cut and costs about 20$. There is a video i used on Bulk reef supply about how to glue the plumbing and i didnt have a single leak. I used pvc tape on the threads so i didnt have leaks where it wasnt glued. I believe my threads are 1" diameter. I had some guy at HD help me find all the pieces that fit so i didnt have to make mutliple trips and because there is so many pieces of plumbing. If you have any questions let me know i would be more than happy to help you out. I hope this helps explain a little better for you.

This picture is the check valve? Where did you get that check valve at? I also got a Mag 9.5 coming in the mail today and hopefully I can start this plumbing today as well. Could you make me a list for Home Depot of what I need to make it a little easier.

Example: three 1" male ends ect ect ect......
If you remember the size of the PVC and clear hosing too. Thanks again. Your a big help. I just started myself last week.
Looks like you have SCH40 PVC
One 3/4 Threaded Union
Two Male Adapters
One Threaded Ball Valve
About a foot of PVC for the middle section.
I'll be working on this tonight.

Unread 04/14/2011, 10:49 AM   #110
MrGoodbar
Registered Member

Ya I thinks it's 3/4 I can't find my receipt of the list I have only done a little plumbing. Im not that experienced with it. I think what you have in that list is right. Put it all together at HD to make sure it fits so you don't have to make multiple trips. Only thing your missing is the primer, glue, tape for threads and I used a hack saw to cut PVC.

Unread 04/14/2011, 12:12 PM   #111
stuproman
Registered Member

Quote:
Ya I thinks it's 3/4 I can't find my receipt of the list I have only done a little plumbing. Im not that experienced with it. I think what you have in that list is right. Put it all together at HD to make sure it fits so you don't have to make multiple trips. Only thing your missing is the primer, glue, tape for threads and I used a hack saw to cut PVC.
Where did you get your check valve from for this set up? Looks like it says 3/4 on the PVC

Unread 04/14/2011, 12:19 PM   #112
MrGoodbar
Registered Member

I got it at HD. Everything is from the plumbing section there. Gotta dig around the parts were all other the place.

Unread 04/15/2011, 07:51 PM   #113
stuproman
Registered Member

Did your Mag 9.5 pump come with that filter on it?
I got all the plumbing at HD today. I'm going to set it up tomorrow. I'll take picture once I got it all set up and the refugium.

Unread 04/15/2011, 08:07 PM   #114
MrGoodbar
Registered Member

Quote:
Did your Mag 9.5 pump come with that filter on it?
I got all the plumbing at HD today. I'm going to set it up tomorrow. I'll take picture once I got it all set up and the refugium.
Ya it blocks anything from getting sucked into the pump that could hurt it. It is in there pretty snug. I almost didnt use it but found a way to make it work. Can wait to see some pics i just got 4 turbo snails 20 hermits and 2 clowns tonight so i am going to start acclimating my first livestock!

Unread 04/16/2011, 05:29 AM   #115
stuproman
Registered Member

Yea I know what the filter does lol. My pump came with this round cone looking filter. Weird. Doesn't even look like it does anything. Wonder if the aquarium store has the foam filters for my pump. They should. I got 2 turbo snails and 30 hermit crabs last night as well. I got my tank running on those hang on filter pumps for now. They are annoying as heck. Trust me I can't wait till I get my refugium going so I can take those pumps off and throw them. lol

Unread 04/16/2011, 10:49 AM   #116
jmacc702
Registered Member

Location: Currently: Les Sables-d'Olonne, France | Hometown: Las Vegas, NV
when plumbing an aquarium do you need to use the stiff white pvc pipe or can you use flexible tubing for all of it?

jmacc702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2011, 11:04 AM   #117
MrGoodbar
Registered Member

Well in my plumbing i use both i have pvc half way and tubing the other half. The pvc is cheaper than the tubing and i think it just make everything more attractable. I havent seen anyone do all tubing i have seen lots of people do all pvc. IMO i would go with as much pvc as you can its a lot more solid and wont rip or get a hole in as easy as tubing would.

Unread 04/16/2011, 11:13 AM   #118
jmacc702
Registered Member

Location: Currently: Les Sables-d'Olonne, France | Hometown: Las Vegas, NV
Good point, I was just thinking about all tubing because it is flexible so it would be less effort to install.

jmacc702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2011, 11:17 AM   #119
MrGoodbar
Registered Member

I had never done much plumbing before i did my tank and bulk reef supply has a video i used that talks about how to glue correctly that worked great and i had some help at the home depot finding all the parts and it went pretty smooth. I have some pictures on here of how i did my plumbing its pretty simple if your a beginner.

Unread 04/16/2011, 11:58 AM   #120
stuproman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacc702 View Post
when plumbing an aquarium do you need to use the stiff white pvc pipe or can you use flexible tubing for all of it?
If your going to use PVC make sure you get SCH 40 PVC. That's a perfect wall thickness for a aquarium.

Unread 04/16/2011, 12:17 PM   #121
MrGoodbar
Registered Member

Quote:
Yea I know what the filter does lol. My pump came with this round cone looking filter. Weird. Doesn't even look like it does anything. Wonder if the aquarium store has the foam filters for my pump. They should. I got 2 turbo snails and 30 hermit crabs last night as well. I got my tank running on those hang on filter pumps for now. They are annoying as heck. Trust me I can't wait till I get my refugium going so I can take those pumps off and throw them. lol
im heading to my lfs in a little bit ill check if they have the filter thing for the pump. does your round cone filter go on the end of the pump? i got a plastic piece that is long that goes on the pump and then the black filter slides over the plastic piece. The HOB filters suck i had one on my old fish only tank it splashes and made salt deposits all over i hated it. sump is so much quieter!

Unread 04/16/2011, 02:50 PM   #122
stuproman
Registered Member

The siphon from my tank can't keep up with the pump. I might have to down size on the return pump? Any suggestions?

Unread 04/16/2011, 03:34 PM   #123
MrGoodbar
Registered Member

Did you turn down your pump with the valve? That's what I had to do.

Unread 04/16/2011, 03:57 PM   #124
stuproman
Registered Member

Yes I did. It's almost closed

Unread 04/16/2011, 04:27 PM   #125
MrGoodbar
Registered Member

and it is still not able to keep up? Maybe something is blocked where your siphon is cus if i turn my almost closed barely little water comes out of the return. I have my valve almost all the way open now and its able to keep up.