Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself > The R3CA Project
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/27/2013, 11:11 AM   #1
jbfloor
Registered Member

Using TLC5940 to driver Meanwell ELN-60-48P PWM input?

I am using an Arduino Mega 2560 with the Seeed Studios TFT touch screen and am thinking of building a LED controller to control my 8 Mean well drivers.

The Touch screen screen uses most of the PWM outputs of the Arduino board for its databits, so I don't have those ports available to drive the PWM inputs for the Mean Well drivers. I like to use the Tft Touchscreen for UI, so I am looking for another way to extend the number of PWM outputs.

The TLC5940 seems a good candidate, but it is a constant current output and meant as a direct LED driver. I am wondering if it is possible and safe to use it as the PWM input for the Meanwell ELN-60-48P? Or is there another solution I can try?

Unread 07/02/2013, 02:59 PM   #2
nemosworld
Registered Member

I think the Mean well LDD drivers would work better with this.
http://www.meanwell.com/search/LDD-H/LDD-H-spec.pdf

Current Tank Info: 60 Gallon Cube
nemosworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/08/2013, 12:14 PM   #3
moncapitane
Registered Member

Using TLC5940 to driver Meanwell ELN-60-48P PWM input?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfloor View Post
I am using an Arduino Mega 2560 with the Seeed Studios TFT touch screen and am thinking of building a LED controller to control my 8 Mean well drivers.

The Touch screen screen uses most of the PWM outputs of the Arduino board for its databits, so I don't have those ports available to drive the PWM inputs for the Mean Well drivers. I like to use the Tft Touchscreen for UI, so I am looking for another way to extend the number of PWM outputs.

The TLC5940 seems a good candidate, but it is a constant current output and meant as a direct LED driver. I am wondering if it is possible and safe to use it as the PWM input for the Meanwell ELN-60-48P? Or is there another solution I can try?
You know, on that TFT touch screen, you should be able to change the pins that you plug into if you aren't using a shield and just make sure you update your code which then should free up all of the PWM pins.

moncapitane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/08/2013, 08:19 PM   #4
jbfloor
Registered Member

@nemosworld
I already have the six dimmable drivers, so I want to use those.

@mocapitane
Unfortunately I am using the shield, so I'd have to either use the original pins or change the shield.. I noticed that this TFT is very slow to update, so may try to find a different one that uses I2C or serial for its communication mechanism.

I did a quick test with the TLC5940, but could not get it to drive a LED directly. I am probably hooking it up wrong. I have a feeling I should be able to get my Meanwells to work as long as I keep the output current from the TLC low enough (20-60mA for example) I could measure the impedance of the PWM input of the Meanwell and calculate the current so that the voltage will be at 10V max.