Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/23/2019, 06:55 PM   #1
whiterushen
Registered Member

Making my own Algae scrubber

I'm returning to reefing after taking a 18 yr break. Back in the 90s, I accidentally made a algae scrubber on the input of my under tank sump. It consisted of an old undergravel filter i used to trickle the incoming water off and i had an old incandescent tank bulb on top of an old 10 gallon tank---the light was for maintenance purposes not algae growing. After 6 weeks, a good algae mat started to grow there and removed the algae from my tank.
This go around, I bought about fourty dollars of parts from wal mart and making a hanging tank scrubber. My first version is crude---i'm waiting for some grow LEDs to make the grow light portion smaller. I'll post pics as i go.

whiterushen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2019, 08:30 AM   #2
Salt creap
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterushen View Post
I'm returning to reefing after taking a 18 yr break. Back in the 90s, I accidentally made a algae scrubber on the input of my under tank sump. It consisted of an old undergravel filter i used to trickle the incoming water off and i had an old incandescent tank bulb on top of an old 10 gallon tank---the light was for maintenance purposes not algae growing. After 6 weeks, a good algae mat started to grow there and removed the algae from my tank.
This go around, I bought about fourty dollars of parts from wal mart and making a hanging tank scrubber. My first version is crude---i'm waiting for some grow LEDs to make the grow light portion smaller. I'll post pics as i go.
Do you have any pictures? I was wondering if I would have better luck with a DYI algae scrubber rather than trying to grow chaeto.

Salt creap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2019, 12:46 AM   #3
whiterushen
Registered Member

First try phase 1

Excuse the crude design--- this is a work in progress

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20191021_202156_900.jpg (101.9 KB, 110 views)
whiterushen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2019, 06:14 PM   #4
MarAquatic
Registered Member

I make scrubbers for all in one systems

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

MarAquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2019, 08:08 PM   #5
SantaMonica
Registered Member

Good start, bubbles up!

Unread 11/30/2019, 06:38 AM   #6
Crusinjimbo
Registered Member

I use a river type spanning the rear 2” of a 13.5G AIO. The return feeds the ATS that slopes only 3” to the exit at the other end. Made out of plastic Home Depot trim board and a 9 watt 12” strip light. I scrape about 20g of tightly squeezed “green” every 10 days from a 12” x 1 3/8” mortared screen. Been running for a year. After using various scrubbers for years I have come to believe that they all work to a degree and they can be overdone. ��

13.5G EVO
Crusinjimbo is offline   Reply With Quote