Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/25/2009, 08:29 AM   #26
mcliffy2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Reef Bass
Interesting thread. I've found AEFWs in my dip buckets but not in my tank (yet). It seems inevitable that someone who trades frags will encounter them eventually.

Considering there are some 20,000 known types of flatworms, I find it likely that there is more than one type that parasitize corals. My guess would also be that different flatworms might show a preference between different corals (acros, millis, etc.).

I found Logzor's statement of having witness bristleworms eating AEFW eggs very interesting. Makes sense that a detritovore that comes across some eggs has lunch. Could also explain why I've been relatively lucky with AEFW. My tank has a healthy bristleworm population.
That is an interesting observation -- my tank is overrun with bristleworms and fireworms. The other day I noticed probably thousands of eggs on a milli (that aside from the eggs at the base is doing great). As the milli was not attached, I dipped the milli in revive, and only had one adult come off. That was really what got me thinking I have a predator of some sort, maybe of the eggs before they hatch, or maybe of the adults, since if there were so many eggs, where did all the adults go??

Unread 06/25/2009, 08:37 AM   #27
mpoletti
You'll never walk alone

Mike, I have also found them on the liverock near the corals. I was once told to pull and dip right after the lights come back on as they are more active in the dark. Is there any truth to this? I do not know, but I have seen pictures of their eggs on LR as well as the corals.

c.) Why chase numbers?
#CoralsLiketoDisco #ReefSerenity
mpoletti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2009, 08:45 AM   #28
JasonD
Registered Member

I always dip my frags in Revive for about ten to fifteen minutes, if I hadn't I would have definately have a red bug and flat worm problem. Luckily so far nothing has shown up. The only thing that has killed frags in my tank is my mismanagement I can't blame it on the worms or bugs.

Jason

JasonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2009, 09:25 AM   #29
mcliffy2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JasonD
I always dip my frags in Revive for about ten to fifteen minutes, if I hadn't I would have definately have a red bug and flat worm problem. Luckily so far nothing has shown up. The only thing that has killed frags in my tank is my mismanagement I can't blame it on the worms or bugs.

Jason
Jason - This a bit OT, but just making sure you realize that dips don't kill the eggs - in fact, I dipped the corals from which I originally got AEFW (but as the store had also dipped the corals, none came off, so I thought I was ok, but clearly wasn't).

Unread 06/25/2009, 09:28 AM   #30
JasonD
Registered Member

I agree that dips don't kill the eggs. Got on Valida on a plug and I could actually see the eggs on the plug after I diped it and all the worms came off. I then took a tooth brush to the eggs and they were surprisingly tough to get off, took several good swipes to send them down the drain.

That being said the best way is to have a quarintine tank to put everything in and watch it. I just don't have the space to do it.

Jason

JasonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2009, 10:05 AM   #31
mcliffy2
Registered Member

On a related note, has anyone heard the latest on Borneman's study of AEFW? Last I heard, he stated that the eggs are laid on dead coral skeleton or near it, so that when they hatch the larvae can bury into the coral skeleton. This larval stage lasts for two weeks if I recall. Then the AEFW emerge from the skeleton and begin their feasting upon the coral. Wondering if there are any new developments?

Unread 06/25/2009, 11:56 AM   #32
SERVO
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcliffy2
On a related note, has anyone heard the latest on Borneman's study of AEFW? Last I heard, he stated that the eggs are laid on dead coral skeleton or near it, so that when they hatch the larvae can bury into the coral skeleton. This larval stage lasts for two weeks if I recall. Then the AEFW emerge from the skeleton and begin their feasting upon the coral. Wondering if there are any new developments?
I haven't heard about this yet, but what I can tell you related to others observation about the basting method is that the adults have raspers that embed into the epidermal layer of the coral. This is why they are so hard to get off.

SERVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2009, 08:40 AM   #33
SunnyX
Moved On

BUMP!

This topic deserves more responses and coverage.

SunnyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2009, 03:09 AM   #34
Bolo Tran
Registered Member

Bump! I agree. I would love to see what other reefers experiences are. Has anyone ever seen them attacking green slimers. I ask because I have a huge colony that would suck if I had to take it out in attempt to dip it.

Bolo Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2009, 09:07 AM   #35
Logzor
Registered Member

Yes, they will attack green slimers.

So far blowing the corals off with a maxi jet has been extremely effective. I left town and had not blown them off for over 9 days or so. When I got back I repeated my normal processes and only saw a few fly off.

This is a big change. When I first moved from turkey basting to using the maxi-jet I was knocking off 12-15 aefw from my millie.

Logzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2009, 06:28 AM   #36
catastrofe
Registered Member

I'll bump up this thread as I just discovered AEFW in my system.

I had no clue that I had AEFW but I have a mille and a microthalma that have been looking "pale" for a few weeks. I recently upgraded my lighting and I figured their coloration was due to an adjustment. I also have a tri-color valida that has had pale sections for months, but they never expanded and the rest of the colony has great coloration and PE.

I was basting my LR last night and hit the micro. . .a flatworm blew off. I basted the micro directly and 4 - 5 more blew off. I then basted all my acros. Luckily, my Akindynos clowns love the taste of AEFWs. . .

I found AEFWs on the following:

2 of my 6 Milles
Microthalma
Solitaryensis
Tenuis
Valida
PL Lime Mimic

I did not find them (yet) on:

Efflo (3 different colonies)
Tort
Purple Plasma
Emerald Loisettae
Stags (slimers, teal, etc.)
Secale
ORA Borealis
ORA Pearlberry
Lokani

Removing corals for treatment is not an option as Ithe majority of my colonies are attached to LR. I'll be living with the basting method and will try an MJ1200. I may also try adding a couple of more wrasses (I have a sixline) for control.

catastrofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2009, 10:03 AM   #37
Shadowramy
Moved On

I have a QT that is setup for any new corals coming in and I QT for 4-6 weeks. I have found that even after dipping in Revive, TMPCC they can still be on there and pop up later on. I have had pretty good result dipping in Revive then dipping in the Brightwell solution, then QT.

I have also found in the QT tank which holds a six-line wrasse, that you can use a turkey baster with success. What I do is get a bucket of RO/DI water, suck up some of the RO/DI water with the baster and blast the coral. It creates a mini environment that AEFW dont like and want wont harm the coral. Usually 2 blast get rid of everything and the 6-line eats them.

Shadowramy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2009, 12:45 PM   #38
mcliffy2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catastrofe View Post
I'll bump up this thread as I just discovered AEFW in my system.

I had no clue that I had AEFW but I have a mille and a microthalma that have been looking "pale" for a few weeks. I recently upgraded my lighting and I figured their coloration was due to an adjustment. I also have a tri-color valida that has had pale sections for months, but they never expanded and the rest of the colony has great coloration and PE.

I was basting my LR last night and hit the micro. . .a flatworm blew off. I basted the micro directly and 4 - 5 more blew off. I then basted all my acros. Luckily, my Akindynos clowns love the taste of AEFWs. . .

I found AEFWs on the following:

2 of my 6 Milles
Microthalma
Solitaryensis
Tenuis
Valida
PL Lime Mimic

I did not find them (yet) on:

Efflo (3 different colonies)
Tort
Purple Plasma
Emerald Loisettae
Stags (slimers, teal, etc.)
Secale
ORA Borealis
ORA Pearlberry
Lokani

Removing corals for treatment is not an option as Ithe majority of my colonies are attached to LR. I'll be living with the basting method and will try an MJ1200. I may also try adding a couple of more wrasses (I have a sixline) for control.

I had a flare up of them (due to lazyness in basting) about a month ago. They still do not appear to target any of my stags (green slimer, and huge green w/ blue tip colony), nor have I ever seen them attack my tort. This time I did find them on my nana, where they had been surprisingly absent in the past. A few weeks of diligent basting and I'm happy to report that the colors have come back and damage from the flatworms is no longer visible. Just can't let it go two months without basting again

Unread 10/19/2009, 03:58 PM   #39
MO Will
Premium Member

I recently discovered AEFW as well

I have tried the MJ1200 basting method

None of my fish seemed to be hungry for the AEFW

I have upgraded to a 120 and have:

1 Yellow Tang
1 Orange shoulder tang
1 lawnmower blenny
2 x ocellaris clown
1 x bellus angel
1 x royal gramma
1 x pajama cardinal
1 x Bangaii cardinal

Any recommendations for another fish that might go after these pests when I baste??

Thanks

MO Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2009, 09:22 AM   #40
mcliffy2
Registered Member

It may take your fish time to get used to eating them. I'm also convinced that not all AEFW make it back to a coral once blown off.

An update, I just found AEFW eggs on my green slimer, although they looked much different than on my milli. Milli eggs are reddis and clustered, whereas the slimer eggs were tan and non-clustered.

Unread 10/20/2009, 02:02 PM   #41
kaserpick
Keeping it Simple

Feed the fish with your baster; that way they'll get used to food being connected to the baster.

On another note, I've thought maybe it might be wise to have LED moonlights for this. If AEFW's are more active at night, then wait an hour after the display lights go off. The fish will probably still be out and about ready to eat, but since the LED's are so dim, the AEFW's may be out and about as well. Furthermore, it's not a bad idea to feed at this time to get your fish used to being out and about for a little bit after lights out. This way you can skip a meal a night or two a week and baste instead. Just my thoughts!

Current Tank Info: None
kaserpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2009, 10:17 AM   #42
kev apsley
Moved On

bump it up....love to hear some more input...very interesting thread to say the least

kev apsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2009, 10:52 AM   #43
sportzfish
Registered Member

Maybe yellow coris wrasse or melanaurus wrasse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO Will View Post
I recently discovered AEFW as well

I have tried the MJ1200 basting method

None of my fish seemed to be hungry for the AEFW

I have upgraded to a 120 and have:

1 Yellow Tang
1 Orange shoulder tang
1 lawnmower blenny
2 x ocellaris clown
1 x bellus angel
1 x royal gramma
1 x pajama cardinal
1 x Bangaii cardinal

Any recommendations for another fish that might go after these pests when I baste??

Thanks

sportzfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2009, 10:34 PM   #44
plyle02
Registered Member

Hate to say it guys, I just went to observe the tank, and guess what I saw on the glass? You got it, AEFW...Bummer... I guess due to flow being so strong in my tank, it must have been blown off into the glass, where I saw it and collected it. After observation, I basted some millis and other corals which seem to have filamentous type discharge on the coral, I then sucked up 3 more in a baster... These things were huge. Now, ironically, my colors in the tank have never looked better, weird. I suspect they have been there for quite some time, the suspected coral has been with me the longest and has always had this filament whitish discharge, I checked it up to being just irratation, yes, irratation is correct, due to these pests. I do not plan on quarinteen and dip methods, I will continue the basting. Here is my fish list... I will keep you guys posted.

sixline wrasse
yellow coris wrasse
CBB
2 percula clowns
3 green chromis
watchman goby
orchid dottyback.

"Anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die" ~Buddha~

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon AIO Cube, Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer, LED/ Hybrid 4x24 watt t5
plyle02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2009, 11:35 AM   #45
plyle02
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaserpick View Post
Feed the fish with your baster; that way they'll get used to food being connected to the baster.

On another note, I've thought maybe it might be wise to have LED moonlights for this. If AEFW's are more active at night, then wait an hour after the display lights go off. The fish will probably still be out and about ready to eat, but since the LED's are so dim, the AEFW's may be out and about as well. Furthermore, it's not a bad idea to feed at this time to get your fish used to being out and about for a little bit after lights out. This way you can skip a meal a night or two a week and baste instead. Just my thoughts!
Kasey,
Excellent Idea, I will feed exclusively with a baster moving forward. I have captured over 10 large AEFW since discovering them last night. I baste, then watch them get sucked into the water column, then collect with the baster. I then put them into a glass to observe.

Update: I just snagged one at about 1/4", thing was huge... I put into a glass, added tap water to kill/ stun him, put at the tip of the baster, when I went up to the tank, my fish were there to feed. I released the AEFW back into the water, and guess which fish devoured it instantly? My CBB... He is constantly pecking at the rocks and around corals all day, just thought it was worth mentioning. Thanks for all the help guys, my heart sank when I found out last night that I was infected, but as stated before, my corals are growing well and showing awesome coloration. I am really not too concerned at this point, but will update my findings as I move along.
GL to all you others with these bastar*s...
Thanks

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon AIO Cube, Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer, LED/ Hybrid 4x24 watt t5
Unread 11/24/2009, 01:45 PM   #46
catastrofe
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plyle02 View Post
Kasey,
Excellent Idea, I will feed exclusively with a baster moving forward. I have captured over 10 large AEFW since discovering them last night. I baste, then watch them get sucked into the water column, then collect with the baster. I then put them into a glass to observe.

Update: I just snagged one at about 1/4", thing was huge... I put into a glass, added tap water to kill/ stun him, put at the tip of the baster, when I went up to the tank, my fish were there to feed. I released the AEFW back into the water, and guess which fish devoured it instantly? My CBB... He is constantly pecking at the rocks and around corals all day, just thought it was worth mentioning. Thanks for all the help guys, my heart sank when I found out last night that I was infected, but as stated before, my corals are growing well and showing awesome coloration. I am really not too concerned at this point, but will update my findings as I move along.
GL to all you others with these bastar*s...
Thanks
Congratulations! You are now officially a master-baster!

catastrofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2009, 07:56 PM   #47
elijaher
Registered Member

This is a good thread.

elijaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2009, 08:11 PM   #48
plyle02
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catastrofe View Post
Congratulations! You are now officially a master-baster!

LOL...
Did you think that up on your own, WOW...Impressive bud

Unread 11/27/2009, 01:06 PM   #49
luther1200
Premium Member

Could you guys explain how you baste the coral. Do you just hit it a few times with a turkey baster? Also I see the bite marks, but have never actually seen any AEFW, but I'm pretty sure thats what going on. They are on mostly my Milli's.

I have a:
Sixline Wrasse
1 Ocellaris Clownfish
Yellow Tang
Diamond Goby

Current Tank Info: 65g reef, mix of sps, lps, few softies. Hoping to upgrade within the year.
luther1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2009, 06:59 PM   #50
1fishkeeper
Registered Member

I know we just had Joe at our local reef club meeting give a talk. You can find his thread on here the 20,000 gallon tank. But he said something that made me think. The use of fresh water while blasting them. Suck up some RODI water in your turkey blaster and blow off your corals then. The change in water pressure will blow them off and also can kill them at the sametime. Maybe someone can shed more light on this way.