Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/27/2017, 12:00 PM   #151
tripdad
Frustrated Stick Gardener

Vid's are cool, hood mechanism looks good. Your getting closer every day, will be nice to see it filled.

Current tank: 65 gal DSA rimless, mixed reef, 20 gal sump, T5 6bulb, big skimmer, 40B Fowler, 20 gal sump, 4 bulb T5
tripdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2017, 02:13 PM   #152
halmus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripdad View Post
Vid's are cool, hood mechanism looks good. Your getting closer every day, will be nice to see it filled.
Thanks Scott! The tank has water now. It's been on cruise control since August or September. I can't remember that far back. This project has been a non-stop blur of activity. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I've told myself that after I have the woodwork installed on the hood, I can start adding coral. The tank will have been sitting wet for 5-6 months at that point. The refugium is growing in, coraline is making an appearance, and I have three happy Bartletts stretching their fins in the lonely display.

halmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2017, 02:14 PM   #153
halmus
Registered Member

One last small project for the holiday weekend. I built a holder for some tools with a little drip tray at the bottom. Now, I'm cleaning up the filtration room from the latest round and another major cleaning of my shop to prep for the hood.

Unread 11/28/2017, 06:21 AM   #154
vanburen
Registered Member

This looks great! I have hooks on my stand door but have been wanting to add a drip cup underneath. I think you just motivated me to finish it!

Love your setup. Reminds me of the nuclear submarine I was on a long time ago, in a good way. Very professional plumbing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vanburen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2017, 04:40 PM   #155
halmus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanburen View Post
This looks great! I have hooks on my stand door but have been wanting to add a drip cup underneath. I think you just motivated me to finish it!

Love your setup. Reminds me of the nuclear submarine I was on a long time ago, in a good way. Very professional plumbing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Vanburen. I’m pretty happy with the plumbing. Surprisingly, it mostly works! I have to rework a few of the return lines because they suck too much back into the sump before the siphon breaks. I hate trusting check valves but I have a creative idea to use a check valve that will hopefully be fool proof. I’ll post pictures and details if it’s a success. I’ll forget that I mentioned this publicly if my floors end up soaked.

Not much to update. I’m battling nuisance algeas in the refugium. Seems odd right? Don’t I want algea to grow there? Well, I’d like the more ornamental and attractive algeas to outcompete the ugly slimy stuff and that isn’t happening. Slimy junk is suffocating the ornamental algeas.

I’ve also been back to woodwork finishing the hood facade. Hopefully that will be dry enough to install this weekend. And doors over the dry bar area. They’re a pain but should be beautiful when complete.

Unread 12/13/2017, 10:30 AM   #156
stonecold
Registered Member

Your setup is THE most slickest that I've seen. AWESOME job!!!

Unread 12/19/2017, 05:21 PM   #157
halmus
Registered Member

A Golden Reef Tank (v2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecold
Your setup is THE most slickest that I've seen. AWESOME job!!!

Thanks stone cold!

I did a test run of the hood. I was worried about the added weight of the woodwork slowing down or stopping the automated hood action. Something went right! It still works.

I put one final coat of poly on the hood and now as soon as I can find some extra muscle, I’ll install the hood. My wife is too short and skinny to help lift it. She doesn’t have the table muscle I’ve been growing the last few years.

Pics soon, I promise.

Unread 12/19/2017, 05:29 PM   #158
halmus
Registered Member

...and in other news, I think the nuisance algea I am fighting is actually Dinoflagilates. (Spelling?)

I’ve been doing massive water changes all along, running GFO and Carbon in separate reactors which each hold a gallon of media. That’s a lot of media!

So, I’m a little surprised to get this problem so early with almost 0 bioload. I know the BRS pukani is notorious for leaching phosphate. But 125 gal water changes every week prior to this even happening?

I suspect that the mangroves or algeas I ordered for the refugium brought in my ReefSTD.

Four days of total blackout wasn’t enough. It came right back. So, I’m going almost entirely blackout on the display and fuge. I’m running Dino X which I found at BRS. I’m following their recommended 20 day schedule. I’m elevating the PH. I only turn the lights on long enough for the poor Anthias to come out and eat twice a day. Otherwise, I’d tarp the whole thing and let it sit for a month.

Early January, I’ll crank the lights back up and see what happens.

Unread 12/19/2017, 09:40 PM   #159
karimwassef
Registered Member

Dinos are a disease of immaculate reef keepers... check out the big Dino thread...

Basically, with severe constraints on N and P, the normal algae base crashes and the environment regresses to a pre-algae chemistry where dinos flourish and actively use chemical warfare to stop algae from gaining a foothold.

This keeps the tank in a perpetual crashed state and you can't reset without regaining the normal chemical and biological balance with algae. This means adding nutrients to promote normal algae and restart the cycle.

This happens to those of us who are so anti-algae that we keep the water so clean that dinos take over... you're in good company

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2017, 10:59 PM   #160
lsouth913
Registered Member

Definitely

lsouth913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2017, 07:12 AM   #161
halmus
Registered Member

Thanks for the input Karim and Isouth!

Everything I’ve been reading has focused on addressing the problem but it’s never been explained how it might happen in the first place. The process you described fits in with what I’m seeing.

I need to review that thread. The big question I need to answer for myself is how to transition to keeping enough nutrients for the macro algeas without feeding a massive explosion of Dino’s once I resume a normal light cycle.

Unread 12/20/2017, 12:30 PM   #162
karimwassef
Registered Member

the ally you're missing is algae. Get algae to thrive and it will reset the water chemistry so Dinos can't return.

I installed a massive algae scrubber and fed it.. some use tree stump remover for Nitrates and other sources for Phosphates.

I also used a low flow UV sterilizer and went lights out to force them through it. That way I kept the scrubber lit for the algae but killed the dinos with the UV.

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
Unread 12/20/2017, 12:38 PM   #163
halmus
Registered Member

Thanks Karim. The problem is that I’m having a hard time growing algea which is probably attributable to low nutrients. Cheato hasn’t done well in the tank. Red algeas like dragons breath were stable but not growing. Mangroves are happy. They’re shooting roots like crazy.

I think I need to have a pee party. Invite the local club over and break out the brew. That will give the tank some ammonia to work with.

Unread 12/20/2017, 04:05 PM   #164
karimwassef
Registered Member

I would figure out what you're lacking first, N or P... or both.

If you provide nutrients that are off balance for algae, you'll accelerate the dinos.

Also - you don't need macroalgae, they're too picky. You actually want hair in the first stages.

Unread 01/28/2018, 12:57 PM   #165
Blue Tang Clan
Registered Member

I believe we are due for an update!

Blue Tang Clan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2018, 03:55 PM   #166
halmus
Registered Member

A Golden Reef Tank (v2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tang Clan
I believe we are due for an update!

You’re right. It’s been a long time. I’ll try to put something together tomorrow. Doesn’t feel like I’ve made much progress but I’ve been working nonstop. I must be accomplishing something.

Unread 01/29/2018, 03:42 PM   #167
halmus
Registered Member

Here are some pictures of the finished cabinetry on top of the aquarium

Unread 01/29/2018, 03:43 PM   #168
halmus
Registered Member

I added flip up doors on both sides and the front for quick access that doesn't require a lot of access into the tank.

Unread 01/29/2018, 03:43 PM   #169
halmus
Registered Member

The finished "dry-bar" area

Unread 01/29/2018, 03:44 PM   #170
halmus
Registered Member

The hood extended out so that I can crawl into the aquarium when needed.

automatic feeder hooked up to the Apex

Lastly for the display hood, this is what it looks like laying on the floor staring up at the lights when the hood is extended.

Unread 01/29/2018, 03:44 PM   #171
halmus
Registered Member

A few shots of the display. There's nothing to exciting here yet. I have three Bartlets, a yellow tank, and a Springeri Damsel.

Unread 01/29/2018, 03:45 PM   #172
halmus
Registered Member

A few shots of the back filtration room.

Unread 01/29/2018, 03:45 PM   #173
halmus
Registered Member

And the refugium

Unread 01/29/2018, 05:28 PM   #174
Blue Tang Clan
Registered Member

Simply stunning! Your build gives me endless inspiration for a fish room!

Blue Tang Clan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2018, 05:50 PM   #175
halmus
Registered Member

Thanks Blue!