Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/26/2012, 07:03 PM   #1
rldcpa
Registered Member

Water Blaster HY-7000 Pump and SRO5000

I am thinking that this is the correct return pump for my new 245 gallon display tank with sump. Head height is about 5.5 to 6 feet. Return piping is
1" which enters the overflow and is split into two 3/4" loc lines that enter the display tank and the returns go down to the bottom of the tank (24" down). Based on the chart show by the Company, it looks like it should create about 700-800 gallons per hour (8' of total head height).

I could go to the HY-10000 pump but that might be too much at about 1100+ gph. Is this too much flow?

So how good are these and what do you suggest for my return pump.

I was thinking of going with the SRO5000 unless you think this is too much in which case I would go down to SRO3000.

rldcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2012, 09:12 PM   #2
cobra9
Registered Member

I just ordered a Water Blaster HY-12500 for my 150 gallon tank. Cant wait to try it out!

It will be running my tank, frag tank, fug tank, 3 reactors.

cobra9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2012, 09:31 PM   #3
rldcpa
Registered Member

Maybe I should go bigger as I will be adding reactors at some point in the year. I guess in the mean time I can just recirculate the extra flow until I need it.

Are these pumps adjustable so you can reduce the amount pumped?

Unread 10/28/2012, 05:46 AM   #4
rldcpa
Registered Member

Anyone use these for their return pump? I would like to know how they are on heat, reliability, and especially noise (if any).

Unread 10/28/2012, 06:37 AM   #5
swcc
Moved On

the BB5000 is quoted by coralvue to move 480 gph of water. You really only need to return about this amount of flow from your return pump. Any more and your just wasting watts moving more water through the sump than necessary. Your also gonna get a large portion of the concentrated organics that formed on the surface and down the overflow to flow right by the skimmer and back to the display to be mixed back into the tank. I think a big mistake many make is to run way too much flow through their sump.. In most cases 3-5x display volume is way too much for the skimmers people choose and will be much better served with 2-3x display with a good sized skimmer that also processes 2-3x display per hour.

swcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2012, 08:00 AM   #6
rldcpa
Registered Member

The tank I ordered yesterday is a 245 gallon with about 50 gallons of active water in the sump, so about 300 gallons total volume.

I was planning on the WB 7000 which should get me between 800 and 1000 gph, which would be about 3 to 1.

The WB 5000 may be too small at about 600 gph and would be about a 2 to 1 flow.

The WB 10000 would be good only if I was going to use it for reactors also, but maybe it would be better to get a separate pump for those functions as the reactors turn on and off during the day.

Unread 10/28/2012, 08:24 AM   #7
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Laguna maxflo 1500. Its the pump the blaster series are copied from. Ignore the egg shape, its just a pond housing, the motor block is the traditional shape you expect. Made by askoll of italy and completely saltwater safe. Red dragon pumps are based off that line of askoll pumps as well.

Can get them from Amazon for under $100 sometimes. A lot of us use them. Excellent pumps.

I personally would run a separate pump for your reactors and also run from that manifold a secondary but smaller return line to the display as a backup should something happen to the main return.

Turnover should only be calculated from internal volume of the display, ignore the sump volume. Your sro will perform best if you try to match the return with head loss to the processing flow of the skimmer.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2012, 10:17 AM   #8
swcc
Moved On

I also suggest separate pumps for reactors.

Unread 10/29/2012, 04:52 PM   #9
HowieB
Registered Member

SWCC, why do you suggest separate pumps for reactors. I'm in the process of upgrading my sump pump to replace my old pump and 2 smaller pumps that run my GFO and Carbon reactors.

Current Tank Info: 120G Starfire, BRS dosers, Speedwave DC10000II pump, Aquamaxx skimmer, Reefkeeper Elite, 1 Vortech, , MR1 Phosphate reactor, ATI Sunpower 6x54
HowieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2012, 05:14 PM   #10
tkeracer619
Registered Member

I prefer a main return pump and a separate secondary pump with a manifold that can supply water to all accessories as well as provide a secondary return to the display.

A single return pump with a manifold works the same it just doesn't have redundancy.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2012, 05:50 PM   #11
cobra9
Registered Member

You could accomplish the same thing with a second smaller pump plumbed into your manifold with a shut-off. That's what I will be doing. My old Mag9.5 will be left unplugged and piped into my manifold for an a emergency.

cobra9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2012, 02:38 PM   #12
viggen
Registered Member

I use a waterblaster 5000 on my 475g fowlr. I also think its better to have a separate pump for the extra stuff and a single pump as a return, that is if the return pump isn't a pump designed for high head pressure. One reason two pumps are better are if one pump fails (say the return pump) you have another pump which can be swapped to act as a return...

If I recall I get 2-3 times a hour turnover with this pump with part of the overflow going directly to my skimmer. I actually used a larger red dragon 12m3 pump on the tank, it was way to much flow for my sumps to handle (120 or so gallons). For your size tank I see no reason why you need a pump larger then the 5000.

Skimmer wise I was suggested the sro5000 for my 475g and a sro3000 for my 210g. I was told by various companies the sro5000 is to large for my 210. I ended up selling the tank and didn't snag a skimmer.....

Unread 10/30/2012, 02:52 PM   #13
swcc
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieB View Post
SWCC, why do you suggest separate pumps for reactors. I'm in the process of upgrading my sump pump to replace my old pump and 2 smaller pumps that run my GFO and Carbon reactors.
mainly due to if you rely one one pump for everything, and it goes...then nothing works...Not to mention the increased flexibility and replacement upgrade options for keeping things separate. Guess to me it is like those back in the day dvd/vcr tv combos..tv stops working and now you also need a new vcr/dvd player too.

Last edited by swcc; 10/30/2012 at 02:59 PM.
Unread 10/30/2012, 06:06 PM   #14
azjohnny
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viggen View Post
I use a waterblaster 5000 on my 475g fowlr. I also think its better to have a separate pump for the extra stuff and a single pump as a return, that is if the return pump isn't a pump designed for high head pressure. One reason two pumps are better are if one pump fails (say the return pump) you have another pump which can be swapped to act as a return...

If I recall I get 2-3 times a hour turnover with this pump with part of the overflow going directly to my skimmer. I actually used a larger red dragon 12m3 pump on the tank, it was way to much flow for my sumps to handle (120 or so gallons). For your size tank I see no reason why you need a pump larger then the 5000.

Skimmer wise I was suggested the sro5000 for my 475g and a sro3000 for my 210g. I was told by various companies the sro5000 is to large for my 210. I ended up selling the tank and didn't snag a skimmer.....
I went with a SRO 5000INT for my 180 gal FOWLR and and o think its perfect. It doesn't make black skimmate that the companies think you should have. I feel when skimmate is dark it is concentrated and hasn't left the water in a timely manner
My skimmate is a light tan in color but it has dropped my nitrates from 80 to less than 10 ppm. IMO a skimmers most important job is to give you clean water and my 5000 has done that!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

azjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2012, 08:42 PM   #15
rldcpa
Registered Member

You are right that the SRO 5000 only takes in around 450 gallons per hour. However I am not so sure that our goal should be to have 100% of the flow through the sump go through the skimmer (in realty its impossible unless you have the water from the DT go directly to the inlet of the skimmer and exits into a different section of your sump).

In any case, more flow than the skimmer can handle can do the following:

1. More water through your socks which means cleaner water
2. More flow thorugh your tank, which does supplement your powerheads

In either case, your skimmer still skims the same amount of water so more flow does not hurt unless you get micro bubbles. Too low of flow would cause the same water to be skimmed over and over again, which seems fairly useless.

So my opinion is to have more flow than the skimmer can handle and a 2 to 1 would seem reasonable. I am guessing that most people have alot higher ratios than 2 to 1.

Unread 10/31/2012, 05:19 AM   #16
swcc
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldcpa View Post
You are right that the SRO 5000 only takes in around 450 gallons per hour. However I am not so sure that our goal should be to have 100% of the flow through the sump go through the skimmer (in realty its impossible unless you have the water from the DT go directly to the inlet of the skimmer and exits into a different section of your sump).

In either case, your skimmer still skims the same amount of water so more flow does not hurt unless you get micro bubbles. Too low of flow would cause the same water to be skimmed over and over again, which seems fairly useless.

So my opinion is to have more flow than the skimmer can handle and a 2 to 1 would seem reasonable. I am guessing that most people have alot higher ratios than 2 to 1.
whatever pump you choose, put a ball valve on the return(they are inexpensive) and see if there is a difference with less or more return flow. Through my experimentation I found that less flow works better(and why I advise such)...your results may differ... try it out.

Last edited by swcc; 10/31/2012 at 05:55 AM.
Unread 10/31/2012, 11:18 AM   #17
wildman926
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldcpa View Post
However I am not so sure that our goal should be to have 100% of the flow through the sump go through the skimmer (in realty its impossible unless you have the water from the DT go directly to the inlet of the skimmer and exits into a different section of your sump).

In either case, your skimmer still skims the same amount of water so more flow does not hurt unless you get micro bubbles.
Very well said. Let me state it another way.

If you have an external skimmer being fed by your overflow, then you can skim 100% of the water.

However, not many people do that. The have the skimmer sitting in the sump, collecting water as it is available going by, collected in the first chamber by the overflow, etc. So, more flow through the sump will allow the skimmer more opportunity to skim the entire water volume. It will also provide the benefits as you listed as well.

The search function actually works quite well!!

Tanks:Planet Aquarium 150g LPS, Planet Aquarium 90g Softie
wildman926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2012, 01:18 PM   #18
swcc
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman926 View Post
Very well said. Let me state it another way.

If you have an external skimmer being fed by your overflow, then you can skim 100% of the water.

However, not many people do that. The have the skimmer sitting in the sump, collecting water as it is available going by, collected in the first chamber by the overflow, etc. So, more flow through the sump will allow the skimmer more opportunity to skim the entire water volume. It will also provide the benefits as you listed as well.
you can direct feed an in sump skimmer as well...all it takes is a container. cut a hole in a container to match up with the skimmer pumps intake(make hole slightly larger). put skimmer in sump, put container in sump with the skimmer intake inserted into hole. Run overflow into the container. Set return to match as close as possible skimmer intake...voilla.. The most efficient method for skimming your tank water with an in sump skimmer.

Unread 10/31/2012, 08:37 PM   #19
RyanSweatt2004
Registered Member

I use the water blaster HY 10,000 on my 4ft 120 and I love it!! Works perfectly with my two eshopps 1000 overflow boxes.

RyanSweatt2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2012, 06:45 AM   #20
wildman926
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swcc View Post
you can direct feed an in sump skimmer as well...all it takes is a container. cut a hole in a container to match up with the skimmer pumps intake(make hole slightly larger). put skimmer in sump, put container in sump with the skimmer intake inserted into hole. Run overflow into the container. Set return to match as close as possible skimmer intake...voilla.. The most efficient method for skimming your tank water with an in sump skimmer.
Yea, that is a real winner and what everyone should do with their internal skimmers...

The search function actually works quite well!!

Tanks:Planet Aquarium 150g LPS, Planet Aquarium 90g Softie
wildman926 is offline   Reply With Quote