Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/29/2014, 08:46 PM   #1
jammy546
Registered Member

fish fashing with copper in qt

I had a parasite out break in my DT(210gal) and most of the fishes died because I was trying some "reef safe" medication that don't work. The serviving fishes(sailfin tang, blue green chromis(x2), and undulated trigger) were move to a QT(75gal) tank.
The DT has been empty for 7 weeks now. At 4 weeks I purchased large queen angel(5-6"), a small bi-color angel, and a tiny hippo tang. At that time thet QT had copper(cupramine) in it(to treat the servicing fishes.
My thought was that, by the time the DT was ready, the fishes would be out of QT and be ready for the DT.
My problem is that 3 weeks into QT some of the fishes(queen angel, bi-color angel, and hippo tang) are rubbing against stuff in the tank(heater, filter, pvc pipe, ....). But I don't seen anything on them. And the copper level is at .50ppm.( The queen has minor case of lymphocytosis, but it 's getting better)
I don't understand what kind of bug could be on them while in copper treatment?
Does anybody have any ideas? And what should be my next step? I don't think hyposalinity would work if copper don't.

jammy546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2014, 09:23 PM   #2
scuzy
Registered Member

You restart the treatment cycle once you add new fish to qt. The treatment time starts back at 1. So you basically restart 4 weeks of copper.

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2014, 09:46 PM   #3
jammy546
Registered Member

Yes, I understand that. But since I don't have another tank big enough to QT the queen, I had to put it in with the other fishes. My question is, are there bugs that copper won't kill? And why don't I see anything on them?

Unread 06/30/2014, 12:15 AM   #4
scuzy
Registered Member

You can't always sees ich. The white spots are where they exit the fish. Ich is most likely residing in their gills

Unread 06/30/2014, 05:47 AM   #5
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuzy View Post
You can't always sees ich. The white spots are where they exit the fish. Ich is most likely residing in their gills
Correct. And as indicated above, the clock restarts when anything wet is added to the quarantine.

Unread 06/30/2014, 05:55 AM   #6
reefwiser
Registered Member

Never buy new fish after such a break out till all the other fish that are still alive are thru their QT. An then wait a couple of months and BUY ONE Fish and place it in QT. Going to fast on fish purchases will only cause you problems and fish deaths.

reefwiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2014, 07:00 AM   #7
jammy546
Registered Member

I though 4 weeks with copper would be enough with the original fishes. I know the clock reset with new fish added. But I don't have another big tank. I just though it's odd that there would be a problem with parasites after 3 weeks into the treatment. So should I just stay the course with the treatment? And for how long? The tank is bare with a HOB, canister, power head(for circulation) and some plastic decorations for the fishes to hide.

Unread 06/30/2014, 07:10 AM   #8
snorvich
Team RC member

The tank must be fallow (no fish) for 12 weeks for absolute surety. Buying additional fish when having this kind of problem will only make things worse. Go slow, nothing good ever happens quickly in this hobby.

Unread 06/30/2014, 12:54 PM   #9
scuzy
Registered Member

New fish restarts your cycle so even though you are in 3 weeks you start back at day 1 with the new addition.

Unread 06/30/2014, 06:51 PM   #10
jammy546
Registered Member

Yes, I understand that the tank has to be fallow for 72 days minimum. And the DT has been fallow for 42 days and counting. I'm talking about my QT.
So I did a 40% water change on the QT last night. This morning the queen and bi color angels' fins look ragged and the queen's eyes look cloudy. Could it be that the copper is taking a tow on them? I read some where that angels are sensitive to copper. I put carbon in the HOT filter to remove the copper. Is there anything more I should do?

Unread 07/01/2014, 09:54 AM   #11
scuzy
Registered Member

Sounds more like ammonia burns. Check ammonia levels since your qt isn't cycle it will require more frequent water change. Those are some messy fishes you got there.

Unread 07/05/2014, 08:17 AM   #12
jammy546
Registered Member

Well both the queen and the bicolor didn't make it. Found out my mistake was that I used Prime in the make up water. Turns out that Prime will turn Cupramine toxic! I'M SO UPSET ABOUT THIS! BOTH PRODUCT ARE FROM SEACHEM, AND IT DIDN'T STATE ON EITHER BOTTLES NOT TO USE THEM TOGETHER! IT'S STATED ON THEIR WEB SIGHT, BUT NOT ON THE BOTTLES.