Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/24/2016, 01:20 AM   #26
Boom
Registered Member

I fed my fish (clownfish laid 1st clutch of the season) and corals a whole chicken heart 2 days ago. It was very well received. Im happy to report nothing has sprouted wings.

Unread 02/24/2016, 05:29 PM   #27
Remmers
Registered Member

This is the best thread Title i have ever come across LOL

On a serious Note, someone mentioned Black worms.

I know its huge thing in the freshwater hobby, is there any reports of using live black worms in a reef tank?

Remmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2016, 10:38 PM   #28
karimwassef
Registered Member

how are you determining if these foods are good for corals? are you testing two tanks, one with and one without?

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2016, 08:17 PM   #29
mikluha
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
Would you tell us your diy selco recipe please?
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1656501

Quote:
125ml pure cod liver - menhaden oil (or a mixture of omega 3 fatty acids such as DHA/EPA)

add 12 ml lecithin 2 grams Spirulina powder (20 microns)

100 ml RO water.

Blend all this until its like a pudding consistency

I got everything from Amazon. Plus, I added multivitamins (Vita-chem marine) and stabilized vitamin C powder.

3 weeks ago I got one scolymia damaged. I feed it amino-selco-soy-milk mix and it recovering very nicely http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=24357137

Recently I bought large acanthophyllia is not so-happy condition (recessed almost all the time). Started to feed it same mix daily (take it in feeding container for couple of hours) - it's recovering well and stays more puffed

Attached Images
File Type: jpg skoli_02_25.jpg (58.1 KB, 95 views)
mikluha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2016, 09:43 AM   #30
stephenhall1987
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmers View Post

I know its huge thing in the freshwater hobby, is there any reports of using live black worms in a reef tank?
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2285741

stephenhall1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/29/2016, 11:04 PM   #31
Boom
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
how are you determining if these foods are good for corals? are you testing two tanks, one with and one without?
Lol It's easy to see coral response, growth or decline when feeding _ANYTHING of ANY origin ime.

Karimwassef, it would be really cool to compare effects/results with truly like, but separate, systems. My main DT filtration system was so much more efficient I attached my clownfish biocube to it. Any carbon (plant based) foods I could NEVER add to the biocube sans a great skimmer and chaeto-filled fuge! I'm sure it would crash.
Happily, I can now feed my spawning clownfish chicken hearts, fish roe I harvested, fresh crab,etc and leftovers go to the DT corals and fish before the skimmer picks up the rest. I removed the media in back so the chambers are now used for settling detritus. Like you, no filter socks either
I guess I'm saying, I wish I had the $ to run a comparative experiment" testing two tanks one with and one without". I would be sure to have all other factors equal.

Unread 02/29/2016, 11:13 PM   #32
karimwassef
Registered Member

Maybe it's possible to run spot feeding with two tanks on the same filtration?

They'd share nutrients and dissolved organics, but target feeding (or not) of comparable populations could be informative.

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
Unread 03/01/2016, 12:15 AM   #33
Boom
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikluha View Post
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1656501

I got everything from Amazon. Plus, I added multivitamins (Vita-chem marine) and stabilized vitamin C powder.

3 weeks ago I got one scolymia damaged. I feed it amino-selco-soy-milk mix and it recovering very nicely http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=24357137

Recently I bought large acanthophyllia is not so-happy condition (recessed almost all the time). Started to feed it same mix daily (take it in feeding container for couple of hours) - it's recovering well and stays more puffed
Yay!!! Finally! While waiting, I developed my own concoction with stuff I got at Sprouts Health Market.
I use 2drops of this every other day in the NPS 2g pico. I have a Gorgonian frag (1/2 price cuz it was dying) that has quickly added flesh and polyps open all the time now.

Whole chicken egg ( lecithin, albumin), 4 Super Enzymes capsules ( ox bile extract, pancreatin, bromelain, papain, cellulase, pepsin), juice of one lime, in a blender, slowly drizzling 1 cup cod liver oil, then a dollop of karo corn syrup.

I put some in an empty VitaChem bottle to refrigerate and dispense drops, I froze the rest in a Ziploc.

Basically, I made a cod liver mayonnaise on steroids, lol.

There is only an air stone on my Pico, but in the DT, the skimmer is affected just like the commercial Selcon. Rinse the cup twice and good to go again.

Mikluha, what made you use 100ml RO water?!

Unread 03/01/2016, 01:04 AM   #34
Boom
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
Maybe it's possible to run spot feeding with two tanks on the same filtration?

They'd share nutrients and dissolved organics, but target feeding (or not) of comparable populations could be informative.
Now THAT I can definitely do!
Ironically, another situation developed in the dual tank system that confirmed undeniably a different cause/effect. I have zoanthids and PEs in both tanks. In the biocube,with heavier feeding, zoas declined slowly. Then exponentially. Local chemistry? Unlikely. Couldn't figure why zoa's doing great in one tank and suddenly declining in the other if they share same water!
Looking for fish larvae 3 nights ago, I freaked when I saw the swarm of amphipods on every surface and polyp. Breaking news : Clownfish apparently don't eat grammarian amphipods.
Next day, with no natural predators around, I watched closely in full light, pods brazenly chomping on zoa's and one persistently picking at my carpet nem! I moved all corals to DT that has a diligent cleaner wrasse yesterday. No WC, same routine...zoa's already showing big improvement today... Now I got a FAT Wrasse! Pardon the pun.

OK ,I'm game karimwassef! What shall we test?

Unread 03/01/2016, 01:10 AM   #35
karimwassef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
Now THAT I can definitely do!
Ironically, another situation developed in the dual tank system that confirmed undeniably a different cause/effect. I have zoanthids and PEs in both tanks. In the biocube,with heavier feeding, zoas declined slowly. Then exponentially. Local chemistry? Unlikely. Couldn't figure why zoa's doing great in one tank and suddenly declining in the other if they share same water!
Looking for fish larvae 3 nights ago, I freaked when I saw the swarm of amphipods on every surface and polyp. Breaking news : Clownfish apparently don't eat grammarian amphipods.
Next day, with no natural predators around, I watched closely in full light, pods brazenly chomping on zoa's and one persistently picking at my carpet nem! I moved all corals to DT that has a diligent cleaner wrasse yesterday. No WC, same routine...zoa's already showing big improvement today... Now I got a FAT Wrasse! Pardon the pun.

OK ,I'm game karimwassef! What shall we test?
wait! what?? gammaridean amphipods eat zoas?? And Clownfish don't eat them??

Is this common knowledge?? I'm shocked.

In terms of testing - pick your favorite first food candidate and deprive one group and indulge the other. Take pics!

Unread 03/01/2016, 09:50 AM   #36
Boom
Registered Member

With so many choices, I don't know which good to test. Open to suggestions.

Unread 03/01/2016, 10:43 AM   #37
Boom
Registered Member

Just realised I forgot I put 3 vitamin D3 capsules 2000I.U., gel and all, in my selco concoction. Sunshine in a capsule!
Next batch I'll add vitamin E...

Unread 03/02/2016, 11:29 AM   #38
Cincyreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmers View Post

I feed blackworms almost daily to my mixed reef. My fish all love them!

Cincyreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2016, 09:21 PM   #39
karimwassef
Registered Member

I'm more vegetarian these days... Kale anyone?

Unread 03/11/2016, 11:04 PM   #40
bat21
Registered Member

Another proponent of live blackworms here. Use them all the time. I can feel my fish angrily glaring at me when I run out of them for a few days.

Current Tank Info: 65g fowlr
bat21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2016, 11:25 PM   #41
karimwassef
Registered Member

where do you get your blackworms or white worms for that matter?

Unread 03/11/2016, 11:26 PM   #42
karimwassef
Registered Member

I put mysis in my Kale...

and then I put raw shrimp inside Kale inside a Nori roll ...

It's a hit!

Unread 03/13/2016, 09:32 AM   #43
Boom
Registered Member

Kale is LOADED with vitamins and minerals! Namely vitamins A, B2, C, Mg, Ca, K, Fe... And that vitamin U factor in cruciferous veggies. Your fish won't be getting cancer lol. Great choice for an experiment.
Your fish look super healthy already Karimwassef!
What was the yellow Wrasse recovering from?

Unread 03/13/2016, 10:20 AM   #44
karimwassef
Registered Member

His lower body was paralyzed. Apparently, this is common in wrasses but most don't recover. I think it's a spinal injury from jumping or diving or darting and hitting something solid like a glass wall.

You know I can't be 100% sure than the shrimp+Selcon was responsible for it healing. It may have also been the Kale? Wrasses don't eat vegetables/plant/algae- do they?

I picked Kale as the most nutritious green leafy vegetable. I was worried that my fish wouldn't try something new since they are a little pampered with 4 sheets of Nori a day.

The surprise was my big regal blue hippo tang. It's a very healthy fish but incredibly shy! It will not come out if it sees anyone in front of the tank. But once we go, it comes out to eat and interact. It's a good community fish. So the surprise was when it nibbled the kale and then went a little nuts for it. I was coming closer.. Saw it see me and expected the usual hiding behavior, but it didn't. It kept eating. It was watching me but there was no leaving that kale.

My daughter ran up and gasped that the blue tang isn't scared any more? She actually could be inches away and it kept eating. Once the kale was gone... She disappeared again

I guess if there's a taste test for fish, it would be boldness to feed...

Unread 03/13/2016, 02:35 PM   #45
Boom
Registered Member

Thank you! Awesome testimonial for using kale. If I had an emaciated tang I would certainly go the kale route for rehabilitation. I will toss a little in my tank before I prepare my kale and sausage soup

Unread 03/13/2016, 03:18 PM   #46
karimwassef
Registered Member

Makes it easier to convince my girls to eat their greens too

I think the form that the food is presented in also matters. I've found that a little challenge actually gets fish excited... Not stressful challenge in aggression when fighting for food, but a healthy "reward" based challenge - like a toy.

I've been making these "burrito" or "sushi roll" structures in my plastic mesh feeding cage. The cage keeps everything from falling apart and rotting, so it was necessary before making these complex food builds.

So in a roll, I'll start with a full sheet of nori, and put some raw shrimp sitting in a bed of flake food drizzled with Selcon. Then, I put a layer of kale and then frozen mysis with garlic X. Cover it with another sheet of nori and then roll it up with folded ends. Then I put the "sausage" looking roll in the feeder mesh..

The rabbit fish usually goes first - ripping up the nori. Yellow tangs just eat his debris. Other tangs rush in to get at the nori and kale. Then the wrasses and trigger smell the raw shrimp and mysis. The anthias see flecks of mysis and flake food... Then dart in for the little morsels.

Trigger waits for the shrimp to be exposed... Almost impatient as the tangs eat through the vegetation to expose the flesh inside. Once the mysis starts floating, the omnivores go for it. Once the shrimp treasure is visible, the trigger goes in!

It's like a community of cooperative eaters...

Unread 03/13/2016, 10:03 PM   #47
Boom
Registered Member

You just described how it transpired exactly as I interpreted your feeding video lol. I agree. Feeding time justvseems more gratifying to them when they "work" for their food.

I add larger pieces of food strategically to keep my fish hogs occupied while I feed corals. Occasionally I throw a piece of green algae, or chunk of banana for them to chase around the tank. Today it was frozen mango.

Unread 03/14/2016, 01:49 AM   #48
karimwassef
Registered Member

You should take a video - I'd love to see what they do with frozen mango

Unread 03/19/2016, 08:57 AM   #49
Boom
Registered Member

I'm having issues uploading the video.

Unread 03/19/2016, 09:06 AM   #50
karimwassef
Registered Member

What's not working? Did you set up a free Google/YouTube account?

Tags
amino dosing, carbon dosing, coral food