Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/16/2009, 12:36 PM   #1
dmack
Registered Member

That Fish Place in PA

Anyone have any feedback about this store? I was considering a roadtrip.

dmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2009, 01:00 PM   #2
SE TX HYDROPONICS
Registered Member

I was thinking about checking it out too.

SE TX HYDROPONICS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2009, 01:10 PM   #3
cbrguy
Registered Member

It's pretty nice. It's a huge pet store, but the coral selection can be hit-or-miss. They usually have a nice selection of fish and they are reasonably priced. I've seen lots of sick fish in their tanks, but all of my fish have done well that I have purchased from there.

They have a good amount of equipment and supplies, but if you plan in going to the store sign up for the loyalty program and wait for their 30% off mid week coupon

cbrguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2009, 01:16 PM   #4
OCRick
Registered Member

I haven't been there in over 5 years but I used to go there all the time when I lived in PA....I'm sure it's still worth the trip!!!

Current Tank Info: LeeMar 50 Gal Cube, MRC Custom Sump, Esshops Cone Skimmer, EcoTech Marine MP10, EcoTech Marine Radion Pro
OCRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2009, 01:27 PM   #5
Felix T Cat
Registered Member

Was just there today. I agree with above, the coral selection while large is IMO overpriced compared to what you could get from a swap / fellow reefer. They are 45 min from me but the only place with a large S/W selection so I don't have much option.
I have picked up a number of both f/w and s/w fish from them and haven't had any issues. make sure you sign up for the pet club for the discounts.

Felix T Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2009, 01:55 PM   #6
mounts327
Registered Member

They have pretty good prices. According to them they will meet or beat any competitor prices, but i haven't challenged them on it yet. As others have said their coral selection is hit or miss, but they have a nice selection of fish. I have only purchased fish and equipment from them and have been pleased with everything. As someone else suggested, sign up for their loyalty program. I live an hour away and make a trip about once a month to restock on various supplies. The managers of the sw section are pretty good, but the normal employee isn't sw 'educated.' For example I had to explain to an employee what a copepod was. I like the store because I can find almost anything im looking for. Someone stated it was an all around pet store, but probably 2/3 of it is dedicated just to fish, and it is a giant warehouse type store.

mounts327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2009, 04:05 PM   #7
circusink22
Registered Member

SOMETHING FISHY is a good store in PA it is in leighton
very large coral section. they have a web site toofishy.com but the website does not have much on it the store was very impresive I think rite now they are have a half price sale on fish

circusink22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2009, 05:55 PM   #8
JJ21
Registered Member.

They have a large coral and fish selection, but it can be hit or miss. It's also overpriced compared to what you could get from a smaller store or from a local reefer. However, the dry good selection really can't be beat. There is also a small but nice reptile, avian, and rodent selection.

"I get to go to lots of overseas places, like Canada." -Britney Spears

Rehab is for quitters.

I like the smell of a particularly ripe fart (only if it is mine).~BrianD

Current Tank Info: 29 gallon biocube, LPS dominated.
JJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2009, 06:47 PM   #9
Tangweed
Registered Member

Half hour from my house. Just don't ask for any advice. I think customer service stinks. Do your research on RC then go buy what you need. They did have a bunch of nice frags for $20.00 and up on Thursday.

Current Tank Info: 90 gal with 40 gal breeder sump / fuge, Octo skimmer, lights and some water.
Tangweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2009, 07:08 PM   #10
Roy G. Biv
Premium Member

I make a trip there once a year from NJ. I usually pick up buckets of salt and maybe a coral or two. If the trip was only for That Pet Place, I dont think I would do it again. We usually do a 3 day weekend there at a bed and breakfast and visit the Amish. Its funny to see all of the piles of horse **** just ploped in the middle of the road from the horse and buggies.

Roy G. Biv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2009, 07:19 PM   #11
Nereaga
Registered Member

I used to go there more often, like weekly. IMO, they are way overpriced for livestock for what you receive. Their dry goods selection is first rate, along with thier prices. Salt is super cheap.

Don't go there expecting to find nice livestock. Most of thier tanks have bleaching and RTN going on. At least the SPS tanks.....

Brad

Nereaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2009, 08:21 PM   #12
lougotzz
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Pmolan
I make a trip there once a year from NJ. I usually pick up buckets of salt and maybe a coral or two. If the trip was only for That Pet Place, I dont think I would do it again. We usually do a 3 day weekend there at a bed and breakfast and visit the Amish. Its funny to see all of the piles of horse **** just ploped in the middle of the road from the horse and buggies.
I hate the amish. When I have to work near Lancaster I want to scream.

lougotzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2009, 09:10 PM   #13
sikpupy
Moved On

How can they be overpriced? I just checked out all the fish online I want and they are at or below price and have what I need (albiet, a lot of out of stock stuff too). I am hesitant on going up there, 2.5 hour drive one way, as thats going to be a $200 trip for fish, featherdusters and god knows what else or more, lol.

Are they gonna try to price swap with me?

sikpupy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2009, 07:06 AM   #14
dmack
Registered Member

Thanks for the feedback. My kids and I went there yesterday and we had a good time! My daughters loved the sting ray tank as they were allowed to touch them. I thought they had a huge selection of livestock and dry goods. It was 1 1/2 hrs from my house but it was well worth the trip. The employee who helped me was not that knowledgeable about the livestock though. I thought some of there prices were great while some of the corals were overpriced. All in all....a positive experience.

dmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2009, 07:32 AM   #15
shuturhole316tx
Premium Member

Very good store!!! Look for there Thursday special. If you sign up for there mailing list they will send you copons for I think 30% off of one fish item (Dry Goods). I used to use this for lights, skimmer, the expensive stuff. Make the trip it will be worth it. I used to drive there from Baltimore, but the Army moved me to TX and now I have to drive an hour just to get to a normal way over priced fish store.

180 Gal Reef & Fish Starfire Tank

Current Tank Info: 180 Gal, Starfire Tank, Corals, Fish, inverts, lots of money!
shuturhole316tx is offline   Reply With Quote