Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/05/2017, 06:52 AM   #1
fishkeeprian
Registered Member

cementing joints

I will be plumbing my tank shortly and just wondered what the do's and don'ts and how do you keep the cement work neatly?

Thanks

fishkeeprian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2017, 06:55 AM   #2
homer1475
Registered Member

First off, skip the purple primer! Get the clear stuff, that will make it so any drips don't show up as purple runs down the pipe. That is a huge turnoff for me when viewing someones plumbing.

Dry fit everything and mark orientation with a sharpie. Then reassemble gluing as you go. One thing to remember, unions are your friend, the more the merrier.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2017, 07:21 AM   #3
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Working with pvc is one of those things that's easy to do once you know how, but a little hard to explain all the nuances. You just need to practice. Watch some YouTube videos, it'll be easier to learn by seeing instead of reading.

One thing to keep in mind - cutting and dry fitting is handy but it's easy to insert pipe further into a fitting when it's wet than dry, so don't go for ultimate precision when dry fitting - if anything, make your pipe cuts 1/8th inch long.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2017, 08:00 AM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

In the US all our PVC cement has a big "q-tip" like applicator..
You simply pull that out of the container and wipe around the inside of the fitting (2 times around) then quickly push the pipe in fully and give it a slight twist (no more than 1/8 turn) if even possible as its usually set in place that quick..

Done...

Its really simple..

Unread 12/05/2017, 12:45 PM   #5
oldhead
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
In the US all our PVC cement has a big "q-tip" like applicator..
You simply pull that out of the container and wipe around the inside of the fitting (2 times around) then quickly push the pipe in fully and give it a slight twist (no more than 1/8 turn) if even possible as its usually set in place that quick..

Done...

Its really simple..
Many years of doing drain lines and pvc chimney's working in hvac. You need to glue the inside of the fitting AND the pipe. You would be surprised how easy it is to break lose a joint that has only been glued on one side.

oldhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2017, 01:33 PM   #6
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhead View Post
Many years of doing drain lines and pvc chimney's working in hvac. You need to glue the inside of the fitting AND the pipe. You would be surprised how easy it is to break lose a joint that has only been glued on one side.
Yes I agree that would be best I was using it in an application anywhere near the maximum design pressures and forces that may be exhibited on PVC..

Unread 12/05/2017, 01:38 PM   #7
fishkeeprian
Registered Member

Reactor Manifold started

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9382wqtj99...84858.jpg?dl=0

Unread 12/05/2017, 06:32 PM   #8
billdogg
Registered Member

I always put the cement on the male part of the joint so that I don't push excess inside the pipe. I prefer medium duty clear, and wipe off the outside as soon as I push the two pieces together.

Although I agree that putting cement on both surfaces would be best (and when I have plumbed real water lines in/around my house, I do), for out purposes it is just not necessary.

No primer for me, ever. Just a extra step that, once again, just is not needed in this case.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2017, 02:45 AM   #9
fishkeeprian
Registered Member

I have noticed a bit of excess of cement in the pipe, not a lot, I am assuming it's not a big problem?

Unread 12/06/2017, 05:39 AM   #10
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkeeprian View Post
I have noticed a bit of excess of cement in the pipe, not a lot, I am assuming it's not a big problem?
Not a problem..

Unread 12/06/2017, 11:45 AM   #11
stage3-s4
Registered Member

I also recommend using Green PVC transition cement for PVC to ABS such as bulkhead connections if they are slip. You do not need to use primer with the Green Cement.

stage3-s4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2017, 12:52 PM   #12
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdogg View Post
I always put the cement on the male part of the joint so that I don't push excess inside the pipe. I prefer medium duty clear, and wipe off the outside as soon as I push the two pieces together.

Although I agree that putting cement on both surfaces would be best (and when I have plumbed real water lines in/around my house, I do), for out purposes it is just not necessary.

No primer for me, ever. Just a extra step that, once again, just is not needed in this case.
Great minds .....

I have literally never, in 30 years, had a solvent welded joint fail. Cracked more than my fair share of female fittings due to over taping though.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2017, 01:08 PM   #13
lapin
Registered Member

No need to use primer. The primer is used by inspectors to verify the joints have been cemented. Primer actually soften the pipe a little. It's just a light weight cement dyed purple so the inspectors can see it. I have read studies that joints using primer are weaker than joints with out it. I usually put cement on both pieces being joined. Although once I found I assembled a joint with out any. It didn't leak for about a year when it got really hot

lapin is offline   Reply With Quote