Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/15/2019, 08:23 PM   #1
ohashimz
Registered Member

Tapatalk and user data

I just saw a post on diffrent forum saying they will stop supporting tapatalk because the app"sell user data". Then the forum asked their users to use their native app instead.
I checked tapatalk privacy disclaimer and noticed the app is privacy shield certified

https://www.tapatalk.com/privacy_shield

Privacy shield is us/eu privacy framework that was designed by US department of commerce and European commission to ensure privacy compliance

https://www.privacyshield.gov/welcome

They enforce hard privacy rules.

Then on the same token I took a look at that forum app and I see a wide range of permussion the app asks for including permission to the phones conracts., permission to access storage on the phone..etc. the forums also sell adds just like any other website ofcourse

Now I wonder what was the real reason for ending the support...
Anyone have had or know of issues on tapatalk cause I use it for forums..

Last edited by ohashimz; 08/15/2019 at 08:33 PM.
ohashimz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2019, 04:56 AM   #2
j.falk
Registered Member

Why don't you just ask this over on the other reef forum where you got this information from?

j.falk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2019, 07:20 AM   #3
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

i stopped using them a while back when they changed from a paid app to ad supported.

i had purchased the app to use it without ads, and they basically gave me the finger. never refunding my money, but filling my feed with ads. i'm not surprised they're doing shady stuff.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right" - xkcd

Current Tank Info: A rectangular shaped money pit.
MondoBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2019, 08:02 AM   #4
ohashimz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MondoBongo View Post
i stopped using them a while back when they changed from a paid app to ad supported.

i had purchased the app to use it without ads, and they basically gave me the finger. never refunding my money, but filling my feed with ads. i'm not surprised they're doing shady stuff.
Oh really? Am using the app for a year now, it's not bad at all...I am not using the paid version though..
Not sure they are "doing shady stuff" is correct thats why I am asking if someone have any data..every app or website sell adds and do targeted adds. From what I read, tapatalk is not doing more or less than any website or forum..

ohashimz is offline   Reply With Quote