Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/13/2013, 02:39 PM   #1
MIGHTYMOUZ
Registered Member

Question Best beginner setup for me?

Hi, I'm new to this forum as well as the saltwater hobby. I really want to get a couple seahorses (2-4) but I know they are way above my experience level (which is 0). I don't really want to buy a "beginner" tank and then have to spend more money on a seahorse tank later on when I feel ready for the challenge. I know they prefer their tanks to be taller than long... So I was wondering what type of tank setup would be good for seahorses but can also house some beginner fish for the mean time?

Also, what types of fish/plants could I keep in the tank that are recommended for beginners? I love tangs, are they good beginner fish?

Just looking for some info to get me started on my research!

MIGHTYMOUZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2013, 02:49 PM   #2
gone fishin
Registered Member

There is a seahorse subforum. You would most likely get a better response there.

Most tangs require a lage tank 6 feet long or more. Do some serious research before purchasing a tang or any fish for that matter. Good luck

Current Tank Info: 180gal DT, BM NAC77 skimmer,3 Maxspect razors, Maxspect Gyre 150, 30g QT
gone fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2013, 04:39 PM   #3
FTDelta
Moved On

I agree. Seahorse are not good beginner fish. Tangs are good for beginners providing you have the right size tank for them to survive best in.

FTDelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2013, 05:19 PM   #4
lcs
It's Spring!!!!!!!

I too started out in this hobby because I was interested in seahorses. I had many years of freshwater experience, but no salt when I started. Read, then read some more, and then read. Oh and read some more.

As to your questions . . . I chose the tank I've had for three years for seahorses. It's a 56 "column" - 30x18x24tall. Not too large to maintain or to make equipment crazy expenses. I do have a 20 gallon high for a sump with a filter sock, etc. It's a nice footprint and I can still get my short arms to the bottom! The only drawback is the 30" width limits lighting choices if you go with a T5 fixture. If you go LED that shouldn't be an issue.

I did start out with seahorses, but I didn't stick with them because there ended up being too many other fish and corals I was interested in that weren't compatible with them. I figured if I wanted to I could set up a tank dedicated to them at a later date. It's been 3 1/2 years and I don't want to do that yet.

You have the right idea in starting out with beginner livestock so you can learn hopefully without the grief of losing anything.

If you haven't been there yet, you have to spend a lot of time at seahorse.org. It's a trove of information and a great group of people.

lcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2013, 05:26 PM   #5
Sk8r
RC Mod

If seahorses is your desire, definitely go to that forum and ask what's the best beginning tank---then stand by for 30 different opinions; but pick the ones that have the most experience and make the most sense. You should be able to do this for a fairly modest investment. Understand that this will be a specialty tank, not readily convertible to other livestock. Understand that marine fish well treated live for decades, so there's no 'practice,' there' s just 'doing.'

So probably you should start with more reading than buying. Read all the stickies in the new to the hobby forum, all the stickies in the seahorse forum, pick an tank size you can handle, and don't be too scared of this. First thing is knowing how to keep the water spot on. Newbie forum can help you with that. Next thing is setting up the right flow and food situation for seahorses. Horse forum can help you with that. Take notes. Make a notebook. Write down your questions in specific so you remember to ask them.
Welcome and good luck.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2013, 07:11 PM   #6
Dmoody
Artillery Drill

I wouldn't recommend tangs in general for beginners. There are a few that are considered hardy but most are aggressive and require vary diverse diet for longevity.

Nuvo 38: Radion GEN 3 w/ Reeflink, MP10w ES, Tunze 9004, Tunze 3152, InTank media basket, Eheim 2000+, Custom stand
Dmoody is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beginner, seahorse, seahorses, setup