Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/02/2014, 06:41 PM   #1
AllieMi
Registered Member

Smile Is 13 gallons too small for a seahorse aquarium?

Hello! I am completely new to this so please bare with me (I'm not sure which thread/topic I should post this to). I have had a 13 gallon aquarium with guppies in it for about a year. I am really interested in changing over to a saltwater seahorse aquarium, but I feel like there is so much I don't know! I have a skinny, tall 13 gallon aquarium. The brand is Aqueon and it came with a filter. Would this filter be appropriate for seahorses? Any tips on starting a saltwater tank would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!

AllieMi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2014, 06:43 PM   #2
snowdude10
Registered Member

In general, seahorses are known for being very hard to take care of. There is a sea horse and pipefish section on reef central that is full of people that are very knowledgable in this topic.

snowdude10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2014, 06:44 PM   #3
ShannyG
Registered Member

I know a tall aquarium would be ideal as seahorses are vertical swimmers, but I think 13g may be too small. I've done some reading on seahorses, and I know small bubbles (like from an air stone) are bad, as is strong current.
There is a dedicated forum on this site for keeping seahorses. Lots of good reading there. I dream of having a seahorse tank too someday!
And a cowfish tank, and a mandarin tank....

ShannyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2014, 06:46 PM   #4
EnFuego
Registered Member

Hi AllieMi - I don't know the answer to your question, but you'll get a better response in the Seahorse & pipefish subform.

EnFuego is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2014, 06:48 PM   #5
AllieMi
Registered Member

Awesome, I didnt know that there is a forum here dedicated to seahorses!! I really don't plan on starting my seahorse tank for a while. I want to have every aspect researched and provide the best habitat possible.

AllieMi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2014, 06:49 PM   #6
ShannyG
Registered Member

They are very cool creatures. There are some youtube videos of people who have had their seahorses have babies that are very interesting.

ShannyG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
saltwater aquarium, seahorses