Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/01/2017, 06:13 PM   #1
jessibrown24
Registered Member

Seahorses and clownfish

Is it possible to keep seahorses with captive bred clownfish? Specifically reidi seahorses with picasso ocellaris clownfish in a 72 gallon tank, if the hitching posts are kept away from the clownfish's main territory.

jessibrown24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2017, 06:08 AM   #2
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

The problem isn't with them getting along, it's with feeding.

Clowns can be fairly aggressive feeders and seahorses are EXTREMELY passive feeders. They won't leave their hold to go swim after food. They will wait for it to come to them. That means having to really feed very heave and do a lot of serious water filtration. Mote Marine feeds their seahorse tank twice a day and then they do a 50% water change after every feeding. IMHO, very, very few people have successfully kept seahorses and fish in the same tank. I can be done, but I don't think it's easy.

Unread 05/02/2017, 06:44 AM   #3
deputydawg88
Registered Member

I am on my way towards keeping seahorses and have done a lot of research into this. Basically, if you want to keep seahorses in an environment where they can thrive, you need to set your tank up specifically to house them and their tank mates need to be similarly passive (or non-competitive) when it comes to feeding. In my tank I currently have a mandarin and a lawnmower blenny and I don't really intend to add much more than that after my seahorses.

deputydawg88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2017, 04:07 PM   #4
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputydawg88 View Post
I am on my way towards keeping seahorses and have done a lot of research into this. Basically, if you want to keep seahorses in an environment where they can thrive, you need to set your tank up specifically to house them and their tank mates need to be similarly passive (or non-competitive) when it comes to feeding. In my tank I currently have a mandarin and a lawnmower blenny and I don't really intend to add much more than that after my seahorses.
That should work.

Tags
beginner, clownfish, reef, seahorses