Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/07/2006, 10:57 PM   #351
clkwrk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoom
May be if you have a dozen of them
This is why I have so many wrasses in my 180.

Melev I hope you get them guys before they get over populated.

Unread 09/08/2006, 12:44 AM   #352
melev
Moved On

How many do you have, clkwrk? What kinds?

melev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2006, 01:21 AM   #353
clkwrk
Registered Member

12 right now . The work crew is 10 lubbucks, a ruby head and a orange stripe velvet. As I was going thru pics tonight I reminded myself that I started dealing with the flatworms in April 05

Unread 09/08/2006, 06:00 AM   #354
gflat65
Registered Member

clkwrk,

How many times have they come back and how long between the return of AEFW's?

Unread 09/08/2006, 09:25 AM   #355
MSHUR
ugust 2011

tagging along with Gflat65...

Current Tank Info: Reef Savvy crystal glass, Profilux network system,PS -Diuna T5-10 bulbs, BK SM-300
MSHUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2006, 09:43 PM   #356
clkwrk
Registered Member

Don't know what you mean ? I always had some wrasses and added more during my AEFW episode. I was blowing my corals off daily and they would chase down everyone that flew off.Also all day long they are hunting and they can fist in and thru colonies.It was during this time frame I found TMPCC in a LFS while reading the bottle I noticed it said flatworms and talked about acropora. I reported back here in the sps forum and no one ever heard of it . Anyways I bought some and during a tank reaquascape I treated every coral in 10g tanks and a 20g tank. Been loving life since.

Unread 09/09/2006, 08:07 AM   #357
gflat65
Registered Member

So after the TMPCC treatments (and the wrasse brigade), you've been AEFW free, right? I was thinking maybe they had come back after some time. I treated in March and have had no signs since, so if they came back on you, I was just wondering over what time frame.

Unread 09/09/2006, 09:02 PM   #358
Tutmos
Registered Member

Just adding a small datapoint. I removed and treated all of my sps night before last using a similar method as provided by Stoney. I actually used 1.6 tablets of the same brand in a 2 gallon bucket (same ratio) for about 50 min to 1 hour. As he mentioned there was no color loss at all and most of the corals had good polyp extension within an hour. It's an absolute night and day difference from the levimasole. The fluke tabs at these levels appear to have no impact at all on the corals.

I didn't have much in the way of adult flat worms as I'd been treating anything that appeared to have real signs of them in levimasole but found a lot of what appeared to be juve's. Now it's 2 months in a little 20 gallon tank, oh boy.

Think I'll dip every week and a half or so since they don't seem to mind at all.

The only annoyance is trying to kill off the base of a lot of encrusted acros from the display tank. Scraping with a razor blade doesn't do it. Polyps were coming ou from some of them the next day. Maybe I'll super glue over them : (

Kevin W.

Tutmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2006, 09:15 PM   #359
clkwrk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gflat65
So after the TMPCC treatments (and the wrasse brigade), you've been AEFW free, right? I was thinking maybe they had come back after some time. I treated in March and have had no signs since, so if they came back on you, I was just wondering over what time frame.
Yes . I never ever found more than 10 eggs in any one spot . So I may have caught it early . I like to observe every coral daily so any changes are noticed right away.

Also I will add that I had an emerald that would hang out in the first acro that showed signs . It has been dismissed that it wasn't eating the FW but I think it ate the eggs as I never found any in that colony. Another reason I think this is because I removed that crab because it was nolonger green like an emerald but everything eles pointed to emerald/mithrax. I had 2 emerals at one time and haven't seen them in a long time . Well the other day I had a mille rtn because of low alk . I found that second crab eating the flesh that was sloughing off. It also looked like the other crab which is in the sump .

So maybe they could have helped a bit also .

Unread 09/09/2006, 11:52 PM   #360
Neptune777
Premium Member

Well I finally treated all my acros tonight and I confirmed positive for the AEFW and not just a mis-identification of red planaria. One of my larger Milli colonies had an egg cluster at the base....and I found dead AEFWs after treatment.

The Fluke Tabs definitely seem to work on these buggers.....they were DEAD after a 20min dip......same as Stoney mentioned....and my corals all have polyp extension after treatment and placing in my 30 cube QT.....

Neptune777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2006, 08:40 AM   #361
gflat65
Registered Member

Thanks clkwrk.

Well, it sounds like the fluke tabs are doing a good job, so far. Will these work on monti nudis? I treated my monti's with levamisole with a lot better results than the acros (and haven't seen any signs of the nudis since the treatments), but if somethign a little less aggressive will do the same, I may need to get some just to have on hand as a cure all...

Unread 09/10/2006, 09:20 AM   #362
dgasmd
Registered Member

clkwrk:

You may have something here with the emerald crabs. I have yet to find a single egg cluster in anyof the dead corals I've had now or a few months ago when I first got them. That is one of the perplexing things to me, but you may be very well right about the crabs or other critters taking them for lunch. It may explain the 5-6 months of no flatworms before showing signs again all of the sudden.

Current Tank Info: Currently out of the hobby, but considering a Comeback V 2.1!
dgasmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2006, 02:23 PM   #363
Tutmos
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dgasmd
clkwrk:

You may have something here with the emerald crabs. I have yet to find a single egg cluster in anyof the dead corals I've had now or a few months ago when I first got them. That is one of the perplexing things to me, but you may be very well right about the crabs or other critters taking them for lunch. It may explain the 5-6 months of no flatworms before showing signs again all of the sudden.
Why would you see egg clusters on a dead specimen? I might just be misunderstanding in defining death. Do you mean that you expected to find eggs on corals that had already been stripped of most of thier tissue? The flatworms normally seem to lay the eggs very close to a tissue source and if most of the coral is consumed I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't lay eggs at all till more tissue is found.

Tutmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2006, 02:34 PM   #364
dgasmd
Registered Member

Prior to dying or while they were going downhill and still alive chief.

Current Tank Info: Currently out of the hobby, but considering a Comeback V 2.1!
dgasmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2006, 03:18 PM   #365
clkwrk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dgasmd
while they were going downhill and still alive chief.

Not dead I only lost a couple colonies most just got munched on and some got munched on alot. Also eggs can be found on a dead colonie because it takes more than one day for eggs to hatch and corals can rtn at the last monent in less than a day. Eggs will always be in a receeded area as the eggs need something to hold onto as the coral tissue will not work for them .

Unread 09/10/2006, 03:20 PM   #366
clkwrk
Registered Member

Also the emrald in the coral before it ever started to receed much . They were laying eggs right at the bottom of the coral and that where I found the crab most times. That colony was very thin and open. So it was easy for the crab to hand out in at night time. I even observed it picking at the coral but I could not see what it was picking at .

Unread 09/10/2006, 07:26 PM   #367
Lunchbucket
Premium Member

well i think i'm getting the courage to try something. i have not confirmed AEFW"s on any corals but a nana and a unknown tricolor have browned out in the last couple months and one is receeding from the base. could be the po4 media i switch out regularly or the AZNO3 as some hvae seen similar responses. guess now i'm thinking i should just do it and make SURE i'm free before i get any losses. it will be a PITA but worth it i guess.

so let me get this straight you guys are doing the fluke tabs now instead of the levamisole and it works better/easier on the corals but KILLS (confirmed) the AEFW's?? you used these tabs right?

4tabs per 5gallons? for 30min worked? the 50min work better or more detrimental?

i know there was some debate if this actually killed them since they layed flat on the bottom or if they would recover in good water if they made it there. any news on that?

just trying to sift through ALL the info, debate, and discussion. also trying to find a fix that work completely and w/ little harm to the corals

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-

Current Tank Info: 58gal Oceanic RR, 2x400w MH (20k XM and 10k XM), Deltec PF601 Ca Rx, Deltec AP701 skimmer, mag950 return, iwaki 55rlt w/ an Oceansmotions 4-way unit, Tunze 7300 and 6000 each w/ controller, fluidized po4 rx
Lunchbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2006, 07:58 PM   #368
Zoom
Premium Member

Lunchbucket

Can you take one of the coral out and dip it in a iodine solution like i did to see if you have AEFW first .

Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2006, 08:31 PM   #369
Stoney Mahony
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by clkwrk
Eggs will always be in a receeded area as the eggs need something to hold onto as the coral tissue will not work for them .
Not always true....I had the fw's lay a huge clutch of eggs on live tissue at the bottom of a colony. It sucks b/c I had to scrub all the tissue off to get the eggs off. Heres a crappy pic and all the dark mass is eggs. It's hard to tell from this pic, but the tissue was allive.

"Free thinkers are dangerous!"
Serj Tankian

Current Tank Info: 45 g hex- 50 lbs LR, Softies, Clams, LPS, wet dry, berlin skimmer w/150 watt HQI. 55 g SPS- 90 lbs LR w/ 20 g caulerpa fuge, 35 g cheato fuge w/ 98w PC. 2x 400 watt XM 20k,Berlin XL skimmer, Intermatic timer on pumps for wave action
Stoney Mahony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2006, 08:41 PM   #370
clkwrk
Registered Member

Thats the first I have seen out of everyones pics....Although I see what looks like green from pO4 wicking and eggs on that area

Unread 09/10/2006, 08:55 PM   #371
Stoney Mahony
Registered Member

Well, I am coming to the end of week # 4(dip 5) in my quarentine period. I have not seen any signs of AEFW's since the first dip and also have not seen any signs of red bugs since the first(and only) dip with interceptor.

All of the valida frags that were attacked are showing huge signs of imrovement. They are getting color back in the tips and starting to grow bases. Some of my stag's that had bite marks are now totally healed and look like nothing ever happened.

I have not seen ONE single bad effect to the corals thus far from the fluke tab dip. No color loss, actually color gain from the fw's bieng gone. No STN or RTN. I have tested frags of millepora and valida in the dip for over two hours and they have shown no negative side effects. I have chosen a 20 minute dip b/c that is all it takes to kill all of the fw's (they're actually dead quicker than that) but if you just want to set your mind at ease you can nuke them for a while and it won't hurt them. I can honestly say that the only corlal I have lost so far from the begining of this is the base and 2 branches of a valida colony which both died directly from the fw's.

I am at the point now where I have a bunch of other tests I want to do on them but I haven't seen any since day 1 of the treatment. I am about to go hunting in the fish stores to find an infected colony.

Lunchbucket, So far 5 out of 5 people on this thread have tried it and had the SAME results as me..... dead AEFW's! I have a feeling that this is gonna help alot of people. The link you posted is what you want . There so cheap I say give it a try. If you want a quick way to see if you have them, just blast a coral with your power head. It won't hurt it and youll see those suckers fly off if you have them. Good luck!

"Free thinkers are dangerous!"
Serj Tankian

Current Tank Info: 45 g hex- 50 lbs LR, Softies, Clams, LPS, wet dry, berlin skimmer w/150 watt HQI. 55 g SPS- 90 lbs LR w/ 20 g caulerpa fuge, 35 g cheato fuge w/ 98w PC. 2x 400 watt XM 20k,Berlin XL skimmer, Intermatic timer on pumps for wave action
Stoney Mahony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2006, 09:00 PM   #372
Travis
10 and over club

In the pic above, it appears that the eggs are on an area where the tissue recently receded.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Current Tank Info: 280 sps w/ 75 LPS, 75 refugium, 120 sump
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2006, 09:03 PM   #373
jay24k
Registered Member

Is AEFW getting more common? I'm scared to even add corals anymore. I don't want to get stuck with red bugs or AEFW. Seems like both can be a big pain. How do you remove extremely large corals? How come you can't treat the whole tank?

jay24k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2006, 09:09 PM   #374
Travis
10 and over club

jay24k, what I did with large colonies was snap them off where they are attached. Then I used a chisel to remove the encrusted area from the rock. Then put the coral in a treatment tank and the rock back in the display. So far, nobody has come up with an in-tank treatment that will not also risk killing other things like fish, etc. Hopefully, in a matter of time an in-tank treatment will become available.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Current Tank Info: 280 sps w/ 75 LPS, 75 refugium, 120 sump
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2006, 09:09 PM   #375
clkwrk
Registered Member

RB's are trivial to AEFW's but both can be beaten.