Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/08/2016, 01:28 PM   #451
OrionN
Moved on

Thanks D-Nak.
I took picture of him today. Also take picture of the Bali blood red minicarpet in the same tank with same lighting. In real live and in picture, the Haddoni is redder than the Bali minicarpet.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2016, 07:48 PM   #452
OrionN
Moved on

I am happy with the condition of the tank. Nutrient level is a little high so I do have some nuisance algae, but nothing I cannot handle nor look too bad.

Few picture of the clowns and carpets:

My Blue tipped Magnifica

A few Acro

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 10/11/2016, 11:14 AM   #453
GSMclowns
A Reef Enthusiast

Am I seeing things or you tie your corals to a string and let them grow out like that?

·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. >((((º>
GSMclowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2016, 11:50 AM   #454
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMclowns View Post
Am I seeing things or you tie your corals to a string and let them grow out like that?
Corals really grow well suspended on a string. Very nice color and nice shape. I mainly grow these to frag for swab meets. Well color all around.

Unread 10/12/2016, 04:28 PM   #455
m0nkie
Registered Member

that's a neat idea! no more snails knocking off frags and killing them.

does the coral spin around all day with SPS flow?

Unread 10/12/2016, 04:34 PM   #456
OrionN
Moved on

You really don't want the hanging SPS corals in a really high flow area. Even just mild flow will result in high but non damaging flow for the corals. The grow pattern and coloration is really beautiful. No shade area what so ever, and very even growth.

Unread 10/12/2016, 10:40 PM   #457
Willyboz1
Registered Member

Awesome tank and pictures

Willyboz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2016, 07:48 AM   #458
Jndragon79
Registered Member

I've only seen the suspended technique with Glenn from Holland. Interesting concept. I might try that some day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Jndragon79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2016, 08:11 AM   #459
OrionN
Moved on

Use hevy duty fishing line. This prevent breakage of the line. 20 lbs test line at least.

Unread 10/13/2016, 09:13 AM   #460
OrionN
Moved on

I fed my Red Haddoni some salmon. I guess there were too much fat in it and he had indigestion. Contracted, not deflated, for a few day, but seem to be back to normal. He also dig deeper into the sand move a little. His contraction make me a little nervous for a few days but everything seem back to normal at this time. Below is an early morning picture today. Light is ramping up but still a little blue (2 hrs ramping up).

I also got a Green Elegance with purple tip tentacles. I need to take a good picture of him and post. He is beautiful also.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Red Haddoni 2016101301.jpg (104.7 KB, 583 views)

Unread 10/18/2016, 11:04 AM   #461
Zacktosterone
Registered Member

The
"Coral on a string"
Is probably the coolest thing I've seen in a while

Zacktosterone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2016, 09:19 PM   #462
OrionN
Moved on

More pictures of Coral on a string. My corals really grow fast.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg CoralOnAString1.jpg (104.0 KB, 1396 views)
File Type: jpg CoralOnAString4.jpg (99.5 KB, 1399 views)
File Type: jpg CoralOnAString5.jpg (69.1 KB, 1393 views)
File Type: jpg CoralOnAString6.jpg (98.8 KB, 1916 views)

Unread 10/22/2016, 09:23 PM   #463
OrionN
Moved on

Not on a string:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg CoralOnAString2.jpg (80.2 KB, 532 views)
File Type: jpg CoralOnAString3.jpg (102.9 KB, 537 views)
File Type: jpg CoralOnAString7.jpg (88.9 KB, 538 views)

Unread 10/25/2016, 03:55 PM   #464
saf1
Registered Member

I did a double read when I saw string. Then I was like yeah, was actually going to do that with a rock and Xenia You took it to the next level.

I'm assuming something stronger than string though like deep sea fishing line / element? Any chance of a image of the part of the tank that has it? Mounting, height, etc?

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2016, 09:29 PM   #465
OrionN
Moved on

Attached Images
File Type: jpg GreenGigantea2016110601.jpg (107.1 KB, 463 views)
File Type: jpg 320FTS2016110601.jpg (58.3 KB, 474 views)

Unread 11/06/2016, 09:57 PM   #466
DasCamel
Registered Member

Loving that green gig Minh!

Current Tank Info: 375g Build thread http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2608197
DasCamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2016, 07:16 AM   #467
OrionN
Moved on

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Magnifica2016111101.jpg (86.4 KB, 404 views)

Unread 11/13/2016, 08:02 AM   #468
kegogut
Registered Member

Everything looks great Minh. I recently took all my BTnems out of my main DTs and set up a dedicated for just nems and clowns. I got tired of them moving and killing stuff. My wife loves the nems though so that means a nem tank for her. lolz .

I plan on getting a red or blue carpet once I set up a bigger tank for them.
Any advice on what to look for or be weary of when looking for one to purchase?

"I have learned all kinds of things from my many mistakes. The one thing I never learn is to stop making them." --Nicomo Cosca.

Current Tank Info: 225 mixed w/ 225 sump 550 lbs live rock,3x MarinePure ceramic blocks,Skimz SM201,Geo 618 CR,Vectra L1,DOS automatic water changes,3x 250w MH w/ 4x actinic T5,All ran by Apex thru Fusion.--57 community tank w/ OR T-247,120 nem tank.
kegogut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2016, 10:28 AM   #469
OrionN
Moved on

Carpets are fish eaters. Certain species of fish are better at avoid been eaten than others. Just know that this can happen and don't keep any fish that you just don't ever want to loose with carpets.

Unread 11/13/2016, 10:56 AM   #470
kegogut
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
Carpets are fish eaters. Certain species of fish are better at avoid been eaten than others. Just know that this can happen and don't keep any fish that you just don't ever want to loose with carpets.
What about clowns? They're the only fish I plan on keeping in the tank. What about a red or blue Haddoni ?

"I have learned all kinds of things from my many mistakes. The one thing I never learn is to stop making them." --Nicomo Cosca.

Current Tank Info: 225 mixed w/ 225 sump 550 lbs live rock,3x MarinePure ceramic blocks,Skimz SM201,Geo 618 CR,Vectra L1,DOS automatic water changes,3x 250w MH w/ 4x actinic T5,All ran by Apex thru Fusion.--57 community tank w/ OR T-247,120 nem tank.
kegogut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2016, 01:19 PM   #471
CrayolaViolence
Registered Member

I noticed you have several types of nems in one tank. Don't they sting each other? Was wanting to add a different type to mine but everything I read says not to mix them?

CrayolaViolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2016, 01:36 PM   #472
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegogut View Post
What about clowns? They're the only fish I plan on keeping in the tank. What about a red or blue Haddoni ?
Haddoni have been know to eat clown but only when the first drop into the tank and drove straight to the anemone and got eaten, or reefer force clown fish into a Haddoni with nets and the like. I have never heard of Haddoni eaten any clown fish that have been with the anemone and have noproblem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrayolaViolence View Post
I noticed you have several types of nems in one tank. Don't they sting each other? Was wanting to add a different type to mine but everything I read says not to mix them?
The Host anemones that I have in the tank do not sting each other that I can see.

Unread 11/14/2016, 07:16 PM   #473
Joe0813
Registered Member

I want to try the hanging corals

Current Tank Info: 180 reef
Joe0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2016, 10:38 AM   #474
Jhardain
Registered Member

Amazing tank! Thank you for sharing. I'd kill for a recordea mushroom isle. I can never seem to find them at the LFS. Great pictures!

Current Tank Info: 220G Reef System 125G Display, 55G Frag Tank, Several Smaller Separate tanks and Phyto station in garage.
Jhardain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2016, 01:04 PM   #475
christ_pro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
I got a nice picture of my Chevron today so I though I post it. This fish is very fiddicult to capture. This is a blemish picture, did not show the entire fish, but it is the best I got. I love this fish. They look better in real life in my tank. Absolutely stunning fish in a supple sort of look.

Chevron tangs are super nice, like you said it needs to be seen in person to really appreciate the fish

christ_pro is offline   Reply With Quote