Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/10/2019, 11:19 AM   #1
mike550
Registered Member

RODI Setup thoughts please

New to hobby and setting up a RODI system for a 120G tank. Thinking of filling 35G Brute container with RODI water, and taking 5-10G off as fresh water for top off etc. and storing in container. Then mix remaining 25-30G for saltwater and using for a water change. I’d rather not have two big containers.

Trying to avoid keeping water over time and would rather generate fresh each week.

Also any suggestions on how to move water from basement where RODI is to first floor where aquarium is would also be appreciated. Honestly thinking that 3G f style jugs might make most sense. More trips but lighter carry.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

mike550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2019, 05:33 PM   #2
on the spot
Registered Member

Make it as easy as you can.

Over time the "turn two valves and flip a switch" will have a positive impact on your tank and your enjoyment.

If it's got to be lug the water yourself, at least add a drain if at all possible.

on the spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2019, 07:42 PM   #3
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

That thinking is fine, do it myself.
Make fresh each week! Yup, same here
This is a good idea and is easier on your membrane.

Water from basement to 1st floor, I just use a bucket and for me that’s both 4 trips and my weekly exercise.

Next rebuild, going to move sump to basement.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2019, 01:04 PM   #4
billdogg
Registered Member

I stopped schlepping buckets of water up the steps about 20 years ago. I use a mag18 to do the work for me. It is hooked up to a remote control switch and hard plumbed through the wall behind the tank so all I have to do push the "on" button, open a valve, and let it fill up the sump as needed. I use the same line for both top off and water change. Before I hard plumbed it, I used my python siphon to do my water change and then just hooked it up to the mag18 to pump water back upstairs. Topoff water got schlepped up in 5g buckets.

Take the time to make it as easy as you possibly can. You will thank yourself each and every water change!!!

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2019, 09:32 PM   #5
Myers71
Registered Member

I use 2 32 gal brutes to semi automate w/c. They both sit below my 40 breeder sump in basement. 1st is tied into system and acts as another sump chamber. 2nd is for ro/di storage and is tied to ro/di filter with float switch. My return pump sits in between both.

They are plumbed with ball valves so I can isolate both. Can pump salt water out of first to laundry sink and then can fill with fresh ro/di from the 2nd. Then can isolate first and mix in salt. Return pump is then used to mix the water.

Once mixed change valves so it’s back in line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

120g 4x2x2, 80g basement sump system, TBS "The Package"

Current Tank Info: 120g 4x4x2, diy stand and overflow, basement sump room About 80g, SCA-302 skimmer, brs reactor carbon, TBS "The Package"
Myers71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2019, 09:36 PM   #6
Myers71
Registered Member

Also using panworld 100px. Dt is 120g plumbed to basement sump. If you have option for similar set up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

120g 4x2x2, 80g basement sump system, TBS "The Package"

Current Tank Info: 120g 4x4x2, diy stand and overflow, basement sump room About 80g, SCA-302 skimmer, brs reactor carbon, TBS "The Package"
Myers71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2019, 01:48 PM   #7
hkgar
Registered Member

I have a 180 G tank with a 30 g sump. Sump is in the basement. I change 15% per week and have an evaporation rate of about 3+ g per day. I have set up automatic water of 2+ gallons per day. It is all controlled by changes and auto top off. It is all controlled by my Apex.
I run my RO/DI water into 1 52 G brute and then to 2 32 G brutes (ATO and AWC)

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote