Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/27/2020, 11:45 AM   #1476
vlangel
Registered Member

I am sorry Michael for being MIA. We went on a little vacation and then life claimed my attention when I got home. Then I dropped my phone on its face and cracked the screen so yeah...

Anyway in answer to your question , my dragon's breath thrived in a tank that no doubt had high light and moderately high nutrients, ( I am guessing). I never checked parameters in that tank but I fed well but also did monthly 25% water changes. That tank had 3 VHO bulbs and the dragon's breath was pretty high in the tank. That tank had fairly low flow. I hope yours establishes and I wish you good luck.

Genesis 1:20 -

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.
vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2020, 12:22 PM   #1477
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

No worries Dawn, I hope you had a nice vacation. Thanks for your reply. There's almost nothing left of my Halimeda floresia, but you never know. As I said before, this plant is kind of a long shot for me. I've tried it before without success. But it's only available once or twice a year, so I gave it another try.

Maybe the solution would be to set up a grow out tank. If I could give it ideal conditions with no predation (snails), that might give me better chances. Maybe next year!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2020, 04:07 PM   #1478
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
No worries Dawn, I hope you had a nice vacation. Thanks for your reply. There's almost nothing left of my Halimeda floresia, but you never know. As I said before, this plant is kind of a long shot for me. I've tried it before without success. But it's only available once or twice a year, so I gave it another try.

Maybe the solution would be to set up a grow out tank. If I could give it ideal conditions with no predation (snails), that might give me better chances. Maybe next year!
My tanks never have many snails except nassarius and they eat the excess mysis and leave the plants alone. So that may be what is going on.

Genesis 1:20 -

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.
vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2020, 10:22 AM   #1479
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Ok, it's been awhile since I've posted an update. With fall colors hitting the mountains, I've been camping the last two weekends. That, along with very little attention to the tank has led to a bit of overgrowth. I've even got coralline algae on the viewing panels. With no plans to camp this weekend, I hope to get in there and tidy up my underwater garden. If I can get things under control (ha!), I'll try to get some pics.

Unread 09/17/2020, 10:32 AM   #1480
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

CONTROL!!!
You must know by now we only tend to things, Mother Nature has control.
It does look nice though.

Unread 09/17/2020, 04:12 PM   #1481
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

True that Vinny! Control is a relative term. Mother Nature IS in control. I just try to work with her. I should post a 'before' pic to show just how wild things have gotten!

Unread 09/17/2020, 05:58 PM   #1482
ThePurple12
Registered Member

Do it!

ThePurple12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2020, 10:37 PM   #1483
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

By popular demand, I give you BEFORE.

The grasses and macros are flourishing. They just need a little sprucing up. I've got a glass scraping workout ahead of me as well.

Next up, AFTER.

Unread 09/18/2020, 10:35 AM   #1484
ThePurple12
Registered Member

This is gonna be good

Unread 09/19/2020, 11:08 PM   #1485
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Well, I made a dent in it today. I got the glass scraped. I pulled out algae by the handful. It was a big disturbance to the tank, and I've got more to do tomorrow. So far it looks pretty good. I look forward to finishing tomorrow. And posting pics!

Unread 09/20/2020, 10:04 PM   #1486
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

AFTER:

The tank cleaned up pretty well. I pulled a lot of seagrass blades that were covered in epiphytes and calcium, so they're not quite as thick as they were. Some blades are getting long - like 3-4 feet long. The splash of red area got a big haircut. I removed 3-4 large Grasilaria plants that were getting too big and shading everything else. I also clipped all the red grapes plants. They'd gotten leggy and covered in some ugly algae. Hopefully, some will grow back. The rocks got shuffled a little as well.

Papillon posing for me.

Looks a bit scalped now, but it'll grow back.

Pretty good focus on one of the Allen's damsels. Thin shoal grass at center, thicker manatee grass to the left.

From the end.

The grasses look great. I managed to rip out some of the caulerpa on the sand bed.

It was a fair amount of work but I'm glad I tidied up.

Unread 09/21/2020, 07:03 AM   #1487
McPuff
Registered Member

Wow, it's really amazing how far this has progressed! Looks like a mature system!

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2020, 07:50 AM   #1488
ThePurple12
Registered Member

It looks great, the damsels really take it up a notch.

Unread 09/21/2020, 07:50 AM   #1489
ThePurple12
Registered Member

Have the damsels been spawning?

Unread 09/21/2020, 07:55 AM   #1490
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Hey, thanks McPuff! Nice to hear from you again.

Looking at my start date, I'm getting close to two years, so it is pretty getting mature.

Unread 09/21/2020, 08:16 AM   #1491
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks The Purple12! I appreciate your encouragement for the big cleanup!

I'm a big fan of the Allen's damsels. They're gorgeous, without the blue devilishness. It's tough to capture their color because they're skittish. As for spawning, I've seen a lot of spawning behaviors, but it's tough to say if they've spawned for sure. My guess is yes they have, but I couldn't pinpoint a moment that it's happened.

That's the main reason I like to have multiples of fish. It brings out their natural social behaviors. They're getting pretty big. Some are in the four inch range.

Unread 09/21/2020, 12:03 PM   #1492
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Lookin Good Boss!

Unread 09/21/2020, 12:17 PM   #1493
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Woohoo! Thanks Vinny!

I really appreciate hearing from a reefer like yourself. Especially since this tank is so different from reefs. Out of curiosity, what interests you about my tank?

Unread 09/21/2020, 12:23 PM   #1494
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Any lurkers about? I'd love to hear from you!

Unread 09/21/2020, 12:39 PM   #1495
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

I like the way it looks Michael, very natural with the grasses. I was always told "There is more than 1 way to skin a cat". I can appreciate a different approach.

Unread 09/21/2020, 01:13 PM   #1496
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks Vinny. Good to know. I appreciate your open-mindedness!

Unread 09/22/2020, 06:40 AM   #1497
McPuff
Registered Member

Quote:
Any lurkers about? I'd love to hear from you!
I have been lurking... just awaiting the proper time for the ambush. Shoot! I just gave it away. :0)

Unread 09/22/2020, 08:01 AM   #1498
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Whatcha been up to McPuff? Corona funk? I have found it very difficult to motivate myself to do much with my tank. Last I heard, you were getting your stand/cabinet moving in the right direction.

Unread 09/23/2020, 07:19 AM   #1499
McPuff
Registered Member

Quote:
Whatcha been up to McPuff? Corona funk? I have found it very difficult to motivate myself to do much with my tank. Last I heard, you were getting your stand/cabinet moving in the right direction.
Oh man, we've been doing all sorts of projects in and outside of the house. I had finished the stand and canopy back in the early spring (it only took me a year!). I'm really happy with the way it turned out but it's not perfect by any means. I worked with what I was given and made the best of it. Another change was upgrading my lights to Orphek Atlantiks which has been pretty awesome too. So much cleaner, only 3 fixtures (vs 9) and the coverage, intensity, and spectrum are much nicer. Finally... I built a plywood sump which is going to FINALLY be installed in the next few days. There is limited space for a sump so I made the decision to make the sump and maximize the space and get exactly what I wanted. I'll have to post some pics in my thread! But you are right, motivation to work on the reef has been tough as the weather has been so great. I'm outside whenever I can be outside!! And i know you are too!

Unread 09/23/2020, 07:41 AM   #1500
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

That sounds awesome. Can't wait to see pics!

Tags
ecosystem, food web, macro algae, planted tank, seagrass