Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/28/2010, 09:19 PM   #2501
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evokevin View Post
new to reef central here! my wife and got our first reef tank last year, it was a 72gal bowfront. since then, in december a friend gave us his 180 bow front which we moved our stuff into.

it is filled with fish:
mated cinnimon clowns
5 lyretail anthia school
5 green chromis school
sailfin tang
kole tang
regal tang
6 line wrasse
flame angel
diamond goby

and we have mostly soft corals (polyps, sun coral, leather frogspawn, hammers, shrooms), but have just got some new MH lights and a couple SPS frags to get started.

this forum has been an excellent help in the week or so i've been reading it, and look forward to participating!!
hope you post some pictures of your tank real soon

To Reef Central

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2010, 09:21 PM   #2502
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigankane View Post
Well I've been keeping FW tanks since I was 10, so I figured that after 20 years of that I wanted to try SW. So I went made my 29 gallon into FOWLR. Its been up and running since Oct. I have about 30 pounds of live rock, lots of little hitchhikers (good and bad ones) 20 pounds of live sand. 2 clowns, and two firefish. I had 4 scarlet hermit crabs, but only see 3 out and about right now. I want to upgrade to a larger tank and with that create a reef tank. But I'll be moving to san diego in the winter, and don't think i can have a large tank in the barracks. I'll only be there for a year, so I'll be using that year to save as much money as I can and get as much knowledge as I can so that way I can turn around and get it all up and running quickly (which I know means slowly if I want a great tank). So I'm sure you'll be seeing questions from me, and I will for sure be starting a build thread once I get going on it.
Having your own build thread is an excellent idea

To Reef Central

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Unread 05/01/2010, 02:42 PM   #2503
Reefmatic
Registered Member

Howdy Ya'll (traditional Tulsa greeting)

I have been reading a lot on this site in preparation for getting a new tank. All of this information has let me know how blindly lucky I was with the 55 gal tank I had when I was a kid.

This time around, due to space and budget limitations, I have decided to go with the Biocube 29. Since I have already learned so much from everyone here, I thought I'd go ahead and write a post to say thanks to the authors of the 100's of threads I've scoured to prepare myself for my new adventure.

Thanks all, Michael.

Reefmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/01/2010, 09:06 PM   #2504
fowlclay-boaeef?
Registered Member

new to rc. had 80 gallon fowlr setup for a yr 5 yrs ago. gave away fish and shutdown tank due to extenuating circumstances... now have a month old re-cycling 80 gallon fowdr tank. went to an aquarium and recaught the bug recently. heard good things about rc. hope to be knowledgable enough one day to contribute

fowlclay-boaeef? is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/01/2010, 11:07 PM   #2505
Neonwombat
Registered Member

Hello!

Hey everyone,

I have just recently got into the saltwater/reef hobby about 2 months ago. I have always been in the freshwater hobby, but recently got the itch to explore saltwater. I started by reading the Conscientious Aquarist cover to cover, and read tons of information of various forums including this one. My wife, and I have decided to start things off simpler with a Nano cube CF 28 gallon. We intend to move in a couple of years once she is done with school, so the smaller tank seemed like a better idea. The ultimate goal is to have a 150 gallon+ reef tank up and running in a few years when we get our house, but we'll see how well our first tank goes. I should post my own tank thread sometime soon. Take care.

Neonwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2010, 03:41 PM   #2506
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmatic View Post
I have been reading a lot on this site in preparation for getting a new tank. All of this information has let me know how blindly lucky I was with the 55 gal tank I had when I was a kid.

This time around, due to space and budget limitations, I have decided to go with the Biocube 29. Since I have already learned so much from everyone here, I thought I'd go ahead and write a post to say thanks to the authors of the 100's of threads I've scoured to prepare myself for my new adventure.

Thanks all, Michael.

I'm glad you found the site helpful. Hope you continue to post more

To Reef Central

Unread 05/02/2010, 03:43 PM   #2507
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlclay-boaeef? View Post
new to rc. had 80 gallon fowlr setup for a yr 5 yrs ago. gave away fish and shutdown tank due to extenuating circumstances... now have a month old re-cycling 80 gallon fowdr tank. went to an aquarium and recaught the bug recently. heard good things about rc. hope to be knowledgable enough one day to contribute
You don't have to be knowledgeable to contribute on here. By asking questions and getting responses from others we all learn

To Reef Central

Unread 05/02/2010, 03:44 PM   #2508
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonwombat View Post
Hey everyone,

I have just recently got into the saltwater/reef hobby about 2 months ago. I have always been in the freshwater hobby, but recently got the itch to explore saltwater. I started by reading the Conscientious Aquarist cover to cover, and read tons of information of various forums including this one. My wife, and I have decided to start things off simpler with a Nano cube CF 28 gallon. We intend to move in a couple of years once she is done with school, so the smaller tank seemed like a better idea. The ultimate goal is to have a 150 gallon+ reef tank up and running in a few years when we get our house, but we'll see how well our first tank goes. I should post my own tank thread sometime soon. Take care.
look forward to your tank thread

To Reef Central

Unread 05/02/2010, 08:54 PM   #2509
creep42031
Registered Member

hey guys i have a 25 gallon tank with 5 fishes.. 2 clown fishes, 1 falcon, 1 lawmower blenny n cardinal.. with a cleaning shrimp, 3 speed snails, starfish, sea cucumber, n alot of inverts.. lol but im having problems with aiptasia i used the aiptasia killer chemical thing that resembles sperm lol... i use it they look like they die but the next couple days there back.. how can i kill them they're starting to spread i need help plzzzzzzzzzz...

plus my nitrate level is high i cant bring it down... its been 3 months now... my tank has been established for about 8 months now.. i feed them mysics shrimp one cube a day... i never used any chemicals on my tank either...

creep42031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2010, 08:59 PM   #2510
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

Quote:
Originally Posted by creep42031 View Post
hey guys i have a 25 gallon tank with 5 fishes.. 2 clown fishes, 1 falcon, 1 lawmower blenny n cardinal.. with a cleaning shrimp, 3 speed snails, starfish, sea cucumber, n alot of inverts.. lol but im having problems with aiptasia i used the aiptasia killer chemical thing that resembles sperm lol... i use it they look like they die but the next couple days there back.. how can i kill them they're starting to spread i need help plzzzzzzzzzz...

plus my nitrate level is high i cant bring it down... its been 3 months now... my tank has been established for about 8 months now.. i feed them mysics shrimp one cube a day... i never used any chemicals on my tank either...

To Reef Central
You have to keep zapping those pesky aiptasia, make sure you inject them on the mouth. As fro your high nitrates, first you have to determine where it's coming from. Usually it's just paying better attention to your husbandry skills.

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2010, 10:49 PM   #2511
creep42031
Registered Member

husbandry skills.? wat does that mean bro??? i just got a protein skimmer now.. also

Unread 05/03/2010, 12:28 AM   #2512
joncd
Registered Member

The definition of husbandry is the breeding and raising of animals. So when someone references your "husbandry skills" they are talking about your ability to maintain an ecosystem that will allow your animals to thrive. With animals that aren't domesticated, like fish, husbandry encompasses a wide range of topics.

joncd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2010, 09:35 AM   #2513
creep42031
Registered Member

i do bro i test my water ever 3 days, i feed them a cube a day, light is on for 7 hrs, i change the water every 2 to 3 weeks when it needs changing... so i dont know wats wrong...help me plzzzzzzz i wanna start getting corals n anemones...

Unread 05/03/2010, 12:08 PM   #2514
Sugar Magnolia
Registered Member

You need to start doing weekly water changes to lower your nitrates. Only changing every few weeks leads to a build up of excess nutrients in the tank.

The only thing to fear is fear itself....and spiders.
Sugar Magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2010, 12:11 PM   #2515
creep42031
Registered Member

oki just did a 10 gallon yesterday... so next week do another 10 gallons.. for my 25 gallon tank

Unread 05/03/2010, 12:15 PM   #2516
Sugar Magnolia
Registered Member

Yes, I would do that until you have your nitrates under control. As far as the aiptasia goes, Joe's Juice works well. You have to inject each aiptasia, so it can be time consuming but it will kill them all.

The only thing to fear is fear itself....and spiders.
Sugar Magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2010, 12:33 PM   #2517
creep42031
Registered Member

is joes juice lemon juice??? cuz my fish seller tells me not to use lemon juice cuz it will mess up the water levels... ???is this true???

Unread 05/03/2010, 12:42 PM   #2518
creep42031
Registered Member

Current Tank Info: 30 gallon Oceanic cube 250W 20K Ushio ....... hey bro wat does this mean.. the 250w, 20k ushio???

Unread 05/03/2010, 02:21 PM   #2519
raiderob
Registered Member

Hi everybody.

I'm new to Reef Central. I have a 125 gal tank that was fish only but am now adding some soft coral and LPS (two of each kind). I have a yellow tang, some chromies, clown fish, a couple of yellowtail damsels a sandsifter goby and a coral beauty. I've been in the hobby for maybe 5 years but I would call myself a beginner skill-wise. I have more free time now than before and hope to learn a lot from forums like this.

Right now I'm stoked because I just installed my new LED lights. It gets hot here so the LED's will definitely help take the pressure off my chiller. I like the way it makes everything look too.

raiderob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2010, 05:36 PM   #2520
cyberpunk
Registered Member

Hello reefers, I'm Jim and I'm a reef-aholic already.

Just bought a 75g established setup from a lady wanting out of the hobby. Right now I'm just trying to learn really fast and fix some of her mistakes. So far the tank has a tomato clownfish, 2 blue tangs, 2 tuxedo damsels, a goby and one fish I can't id. Also some snails, starfish, etc.

And about 100# of LR :0 I need to get some of this moved to my 20g sump tonight.

cyberpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2010, 05:57 PM   #2521
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderob View Post
Hi everybody.

I'm new to Reef Central. I have a 125 gal tank that was fish only but am now adding some soft coral and LPS (two of each kind). I have a yellow tang, some chromies, clown fish, a couple of yellowtail damsels a sandsifter goby and a coral beauty. I've been in the hobby for maybe 5 years but I would call myself a beginner skill-wise. I have more free time now than before and hope to learn a lot from forums like this.

Right now I'm stoked because I just installed my new LED lights. It gets hot here so the LED's will definitely help take the pressure off my chiller. I like the way it makes everything look too.

To Reef Central
Be sure to start a new thread and post some picture of your set up. especially the new LEDs

Dishes are done man!

Unread 05/03/2010, 05:59 PM   #2522
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpunk View Post
Hello reefers, I'm Jim and I'm a reef-aholic already.

Just bought a 75g established setup from a lady wanting out of the hobby. Right now I'm just trying to learn really fast and fix some of her mistakes. So far the tank has a tomato clownfish, 2 blue tangs, 2 tuxedo damsels, a goby and one fish I can't id. Also some snails, starfish, etc.

And about 100# of LR :0 I need to get some of this moved to my 20g sump tonight.

To Reef Central
Start a new thread in the new to the hobby forum and post a picture of that unknown fish, we'd be happy to help you out.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 05/03/2010, 06:02 PM   #2523
joncd
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by creep42031 View Post
Current Tank Info: 30 gallon Oceanic cube 250W 20K Ushio ....... hey bro wat does this mean.. the 250w, 20k ushio???
Light specs. They are using a 20k metal halide.

joncd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2010, 06:03 PM   #2524
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by joncd View Post
The definition of husbandry is the breeding and raising of animals. So when someone references your "husbandry skills" they are talking about your ability to maintain an ecosystem that will allow your animals to thrive. With animals that aren't domesticated, like fish, husbandry encompasses a wide range of topics.

To Reef Central
Exactly right. good husbandry falls under proper nutrient control, feeding, cleaning, waterchanges, testing and correcting the water parameters. to name a few.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 05/04/2010, 09:40 AM   #2525
bernerbrau
Registered Member

Hi,

I posted a week or so ago, and I guess since I posted links I took a while to get moderator approval, so my intro got missed.

I'll just repost that without the links:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernerbrau View Post
Hi,

My name is Derek Berner. My wife, Leslie, and I are interested in building a marine aquarium and were referred here by ReefCentral member dataz722 from homebrewtalk.com, a beer brewing site he and I frequent.

My wife and I are absolutely brand new to aquarium keeping. I have a copy of The New Marine Aquarium which I am currently nose deep in. We plan to build a 70-90 gallon acrylic tank later this year.

I'm especially fond of Lionfish, but I'm told it's a very difficult fish to keep for beginners and potentially lethal. Is this true?

bernerbrau is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral