Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/26/2019, 02:26 PM   #1
tletourneau
Registered Member

Sebae anemone questions

We got a Sebae anemone about two weeks ago and it doesn't seem like it wants to attach anywhere. When we first put it in after drip acclimation it dug into the sand bed but only stayed a few hours then started moving around. After several hours it dug into the same spot again for about eight hours then went wandering again. We thought we'd put it in a different part of the tank and see how it went, it didn't grab on there either. I called Bulk Reef Supply and one of their guys that keeps Sebae's recommended clearing the a sand from the bottom of shutting down the power heads for a few hours and placing the anemone there for it to attach. We've done that and the anemone hasn't moved nor attached even after turning the power heads back on. Do we just need to give it more time? I don't want to bother it unnecessarily but I want to ensure that it is well taken care of. We have a Red Sea Reefer 350 and the substrate is Agri-alive Special Grade. Our water parameters are stable and within spec for anemones, the tank is about a year old. Any advice will be appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Unread 01/26/2019, 02:32 PM   #2
WatDatThing
Registered Member

Pretty nem. I have no experience with sebae. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

WatDatThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2019, 02:38 PM   #3
humphreyhh
Registered Member

Yours looks like a healthy colored one though Sebae is kinda hard to keep in my opinion.

One way might help it settle down is to put three smaller live rocks around it to hold it in the spot. Or to put two smaller rocks around it agains a large live rock to host it there. It needs a live rock bear it to grab onto otherwise it’s gonna have a hard time settle down because it can’t just grab on the sand bed.

I put my long tentacle anemone (also a sand anemone) in a flower pot with live sand in it. It seems to like it and has tripled its size in three months. You can try this method too.

Be aware, usually if an anemone couldn’t settle down in about two weeks, its condition would start to decay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

humphreyhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2019, 03:22 PM   #4
lpsouth1978
Registered Member

I'm not going to be much help since I only got my first sebae yesterday. I just dug some sand out from the base of a rock and place the foot in the hole. Within a few minutes it had attached and hasn't moved since. It has now been just over 24 hours and is going well so far.

The pic is of the nem a few minutes after putting it in the tank. It is double this size, open, and happy.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2019-01-26_02-06-49.jpg (88.8 KB, 50 views)
Unread 01/26/2019, 03:28 PM   #5
humphreyhh
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpsouth1978 View Post
I'm not going to be much help since I only got my first sebae yesterday. I just dug some sand out from the base of a rock and place the foot in the hole. Within a few minutes it had attached and hasn't moved since. It has now been just over 24 hours and is going well so far.

The pic is of the nem a few minutes after putting it in the tank. It is double this size, open, and happy.

OP’s anemone actually looks healthier than yours based on the coloration (not shape) but yours settling down fast means your tank is suitable for it and it will likely to get healthy soon. Very beautiful nem congrats!

Unread 01/26/2019, 08:23 PM   #6
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Just leave him, protect him from danger if it exists like pumps and wavemakers, but you should not place him.
He must find his own spot by himself.
Wandering Nems is quite normal, just give some more, undisturbed time,
He appears shrunk, but healthy, IMO, many Sebae come in bleached, yours is not and that's good.
Unless someone damaged the foot even a bit, but even if, should recover.
He's not placing his foot for a reason
Do not feed him....right now....let settle in

These ones more challenging than BTA or LTA, needs stable on-point water, and good lighting.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (80.3 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by Uncle99; 01/26/2019 at 08:31 PM.
Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2019, 10:33 PM   #7
WatDatThing
Registered Member

Any update?

Unread 01/31/2019, 10:40 PM   #8
humphreyhh
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatDatThing View Post
Any update?

I’m worried too. It didn’t look good in the picture.

Unread 01/31/2019, 10:44 PM   #9
WatDatThing
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humphreyhh View Post
I’m worried too. It didn’t look good in the picture.

One of these days I will get me a sebae

Unread 01/31/2019, 10:48 PM   #10
humphreyhh
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatDatThing View Post
One of these days I will get me a sebae

I like them too. I prefer sand anemones in general. They don’t wonder too much on the wall or decors/rocks which can make the tank look strange or hard to see. Also sebae is more unique than btas for me m, and sometimes can be much cheaper.

Unread 02/13/2019, 08:27 PM   #11
tletourneau
Registered Member

Well we just move it to a quarantine tank. It wouldn't settle in so, thinking our sand bed might not be deep enough we added 40lbs of sand to get the recommended depth. When we moved it to the deeper sand bed we noticed what appears to be a wound on it, we are wondering if the bristle worms did it but we're not sure. Once we noticed it we moved it to a quarantine tank to be safe. I've attached pictures, I'm not sure how to treat it. We have some E.M. erythromycin that is supposed to help with open wounds but I'm not sure if that's appropriate for an anenome. I've attached a picture.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk