Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/15/2019, 02:35 PM   #26
wildman926
Registered Member

Short term - AlgaeFix Marine
Long term - ATS (Algae Turf Scrubber)

I have been hair algae free for about 5 years. I do a water change about once a year, no joke. I top off with sw as necessary.

The search function actually works quite well!!

Tanks:Planet Aquarium 150g LPS, Planet Aquarium 90g Softie

Last edited by wildman926; 05/21/2020 at 07:22 PM.
wildman926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2019, 09:57 PM   #27
Zalick
My reef tanks my wallet

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman926 View Post
Short term - AlgaeFix Marine
Long term - ATS (Algae Turf Scrubber)

I have been hair algae free for about 5 years. I do a water change about once a year, no joke. I top off with sw as necessary.
What ATS are you using? That is only my list. I'm not sure if I have quite the space under my stand for the recommended size for 300g DT.

Current Tank Info: Me v Dinos - I'm winning for now...
Zalick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2019, 10:01 PM   #28
Zalick
My reef tanks my wallet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPMagyar View Post
Go to youtube and type in Mexican turbo snails eating hair algae. Don't dose chemicals. Get rid of any filtration you have besides a skimmer including and especially GAC or GFO. Add a dozen Mexican Turbo snails and a couple pieces of new live rock from KP Aquatics. I am not a newbie and I know a thing or two about combating hair algae. Ask me how JPMagyar's tank thread
Thanks! I'm heading to the LFS tomorrow to get some turbos. Since the outbreak started not long after I started up this current tank, I've been ruluctant to add fish or anything else until I get it under control. I have about 30 trochus. Of my 5 fish, only my Magnificent Foxface eats the algae.

I've also held off adding coral, so you can imagine the tank is looking pretty barren except for the rock and algae!

Unread 02/16/2019, 09:50 AM   #29
wildman926
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalick View Post
What ATS are you using? That is only my list. I'm not sure if I have quite the space under my stand for the recommended size for 300g DT.
I use Turbos Aquatics ATS's. They are the original, and are worth every penny. Don't worry about getting the recommended size. Just get as large as you can fit, and clean as necessary. An undersized unit will need more frequent cleanings than an oversized one. When you clean them, you are physically removing the phosphate and nitrates that are in the algae.

Until then, use API's AlgaeFix Marine. It allowed me to get my tank in order, then the ATS KEPT it in order. I cannot stress this enough, as I know and have proof it WORKS. The algae die off will put those nutrients back in the tank, so a water change after you get the HA in control is necessary. But have the ATS ready to launch as well.

I had a massive die off of corals due to hair algae. So the sooner you get yours in control, the better.

Unread 02/16/2019, 10:09 AM   #30
Zalick
My reef tanks my wallet

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman926 View Post
I use Turbos Aquatics ATS's. They are the original, and are worth every penny. Don't worry about getting the recommended size. Just get as large as you can fit, and clean as necessary. An undersized unit will need more frequent cleanings than an oversized one. When you clean them, you are physically removing the phosphate and nitrates that are in the algae.

Until then, use API's AlgaeFix Marine. It allowed me to get my tank in order, then the ATS KEPT it in order. I cannot stress this enough, as I know and have proof it WORKS. The algae die off will put those nutrients back in the tank, so a water change after you get the HA in control is necessary. But have the ATS ready to launch as well.

I had a massive die off of corals due to hair algae. So the sooner you get yours in control, the better.

This current tank was an upsize from my old tank. Unfortunately the HA took out the SPS I'd been growing for 4 years. It hasn't really killed my LPS (all hammers) but it sure tries. Having 5 different tanks over the last 25 years and this is my first HA outbreak. I haven't even begun stocking the fish in my 300 due to this....for 2 years.... It really sucks.

Unread 02/16/2019, 11:18 AM   #31
wildman926
Registered Member

Again, I can't stress hard enough to use API's AlgaeFix Marine. It WORKS. Do a search here on RC for it, and you will see. Now some say it allowed dinos or this or that to come on, but it just means that they had excess nutrients in their tank and that took over after the hair algae was removed.

Here are some pics of my 150g and 90g almost a year ago. I did not have a recent pic of my 90g.

Also, here are pics of my ATS's, both 150g and 90g. I just took these pics and this is after 2 weeks. The one with more "yellow" algae is on my 90g and is what happens when you wait too long and water does not flow over the algae. You can see that in the other one as well. The one with more yellow just started over a month ago, as I forgot to turn on the lights after a cleaning, and the screen basically died off.

Last edited by wildman926; 05/21/2020 at 07:22 PM.
Unread 02/20/2019, 10:22 AM   #32
Rancidwolf
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by earwicker7 View Post
Yeah, I hate the rocks are leaching phosphates myth.

The rock isn't leaching phosphates, the fish poop and food that is not either eaten by detrivores or manually removed is. There's a huge distinction.
It absolutely happened for me. I recently got a new tank, bought dry rock for it and did a leak test with fresh RODI water. After having it run for a few days I tested the TDS and noticed it was really high so did some water tests. Phosphates came out super high. There was nothing in the tank besides a pump, dry rock and fresh RODI water. The only thing that could have produced the phosphates was the dry rock. I let it run for a couple weeks and phosphates kept going up, then I did 100% water change and started my tank. No phosphate issues since.

Rancidwolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gha, green hair algae