Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/05/2008, 08:10 AM   #1
wachuko
Registered Member

Question Recommendations on equipment

Recommendations on equipment.

Trying not to buy things twice…

Water movement: This is for a 210 gal tank ( My 210 Setup thread ). Do I really have to spend the $$ for a high end system or would 4 Koralias (3 - Koralias 3 and 1 - Koralia 4) do the trick? If I should go with a better system, what is the recommendation here? What model combination?? Say I go with a Tunze system, what controller, what pumps?

What about Calcium Reactors?? Can I accomplish the same with the additives sold by the gallon? Why is this equipment necessary? I would love to simplify life not make it more complicated with this that if they break or are calibrated wrong will wipe out the tank…

Also looking for recommendations on monitors. What should constantly keep an eye on? What are the recommendations for a decent priced monitor/controller?

Thank you,
One seriously confused newbie…

Current Tank Info: 210Gal 72x24x29

Last edited by wachuko; 02/05/2008 at 08:35 AM.
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2008, 08:40 AM   #2
mcliffy2
Registered Member

If you dont plan on SPS, 4 Koralias (altho I would recommend Tunze 6025 nanostreams modded instead) would be enough. But with that nice of a setup, chances are you will want to do SPS eventually, and if you are trying not to buy twice, planning for this would be a good idea. Go with a couple Tunze or Vortechs, they are expensive, but worth it. Watch the used equipment selling forum and you can save some $$ buying there.

Unread 02/05/2008, 08:55 AM   #3
wachuko
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcliffy2
If you dont plan on SPS, 4 Koralias (altho I would recommend Tunze 6025 nanostreams modded instead) would be enough. But with that nice of a setup, chances are you will want to do SPS eventually, and if you are trying not to buy twice, planning for this would be a good idea. Go with a couple Tunze or Vortechs, they are expensive, but worth it. Watch the used equipment selling forum and you can save some $$ buying there.
Thank you.

So something like a Turbelle stream Kit TS24?

Do I still use two of the Koralias or do I put those away once this is in the tank?

Current Tank Info: 210Gal 72x24x29
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2008, 09:29 AM   #4
ycnibrc
STAG HORN DOMINATE REEF

I will start with that kit and in the future you can add more if you want. If you don't have alot of SPS now you don't have to buy the Cal reactor yet but if you start adding more then it will be less work for you to manually dose cal and alk by getting the reactor.

All good reactor that I can recommend GEO,Deltech,MTC Procal,MRC,Aqua c ect....do your reasearch and narrow down to the one you like.

For controller really is just an expansive timer I don't really use any of the control function except for to turn on and off light. BTW I own an AC3 and it's fine.

ABC corals

Current Tank Info: 360g Peninsula sps
ycnibrc is offline   Reply With Quote