Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/08/2019, 08:42 AM   #1
kyley
Registered Member

American Aquarium UV Sterilizers? VS Others?

Hi All,

Have any of you used the American Aquarium Products UV Sterilizer? In particular the Vecton-6 V2 600 (25 watt)?
http://www.americanaquariumproducts....r.html#vecton6
Someone suggested it and it does look like a good option. And more reasonably priced than others ($190 shipped). And replacement bulbs are a lot more reasonable too. So I'm wondering if any of you have used one?

Would their 25 Watt one be enough for my 120g tank though (with 40 breeder sump)? They claim it's good for a 180 gallon aquarium. Their higher wattage ones it looks like are designed more for ponds. Just curious if others have experience with this brand?

I'm also considering Aqua Ultraviolet and Lifeguard Aquatics Pro-Max Sterilizers. But they're quite a bit more money. Also considered Jebao, but think I'll go for a little better quality... Thanks,

--Kyle

kyley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2019, 10:29 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

What function/benefit are you hoping that a UV system will provide for your tank?

Unread 08/08/2019, 10:30 AM   #3
slief
RC Sponsor

The UV's are made by TMC (Tropic Marin) in Europe. The larger ones like the 110w are very large in terms of their footprint and metric first but there is a small flange on the inside of the pipe that supports 2" PVC. Personally, I prefer the AquaUV Classics as I feel they are better made and are US Imperial first and include union fittings standard.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2019, 11:17 AM   #4
RBU1
Moving on Up

I have a nice 80 watt emperor aquatics for sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RBU1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2019, 12:05 PM   #5
kyley
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
What function/benefit are you hoping that a UV system will provide for your tank?
Sorry for my delayed response. I want a UV Sterilizer to help prevent cyano from ever getting established as well as to aid in the prevention of ich or other pathogens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
The UV's are made by TMC (Tropic Marin) in Europe. The larger ones like the 110w are very large in terms of their footprint and metric first but there is a small flange on the inside of the pipe that supports 2" PVC. Personally, I prefer the AquaUV Classics as I feel they are better made and are US Imperial first and include union fittings standard.
Thanks for sharing; that's helpful. I wouldn't be getting anything big like a 110 watt tho - just looking at around 25-40 watts. So if I got the American Aquarium Products UV, I'd be able to connect to 2" PVC, just not a lot of surface area to bind it to? Is that what you're saying? Thanks,
--Kyle

Unread 08/10/2019, 12:21 PM   #6
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyley View Post
Sorry for my delayed response. I want a UV Sterilizer to help prevent cyano from ever getting established as well as to aid in the prevention of ich or other pathogens
Um..yeah...good luck with that...

Unread 08/10/2019, 12:24 PM   #7
kyley
Registered Member

Quote:
Um..yeah...good luck with that...
Umm... yeah... that's a helpful response...

Unread 08/10/2019, 01:00 PM   #8
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Umm... yeah... that's a helpful response...
It just doesnt work that way..

Unread 08/10/2019, 01:09 PM   #9
kyley
Registered Member

Quote:
It just doesnt work that way..
What way? There are obviously opinions on both sides of UV Sterilizers, but you aren't demonstrating any knowledge here. Just saying good luck with that isn't contributing anything to the conversation.

Start watching at 14:20:
https://youtu.be/nCHNR-CnZrA
*That's* the primary reason I want a UV Sterilizer. 6 years ago cyano took over my tank (despite great tank maintenance and water quality) and caused the die off of all of my SPS and a lot of LPS coral. If there's anything I can do to help prevent cyano, dinos, bacterial blooms, and keep my water clear, I'm going to try it. It's not going to kill off the beneficial bacteria in the live rock, it's not going to harm the pod population, etc. But I do believe it will help with cyano, etc. And I know it won't kill Ich on fish obviously. I quarantine / do TTM, but there are risks when adding anything to the tank (coral, rock, whatever) that Ich (etc) can get in - this would help prevent an infection from establishing in the fish. There's a reason that zoos / public aquariums, aquaculture facilities, etc. use UV sterilizers.

And besides, I didn't ask anyone's opinion on whether UV sterilizers are good or bad. I asked about opinions on these specific UV sterilizers. Thanks,
--Kyle

Unread 08/10/2019, 01:23 PM   #10
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:

Thanks for sharing; that's helpful. I wouldn't be getting anything big like a 110 watt tho - just looking at around 25-40 watts. So if I got the American Aquarium Products UV, I'd be able to connect to 2" PVC, just not a lot of surface area to bind it to? Is that what you're saying? Thanks,
--Kyle
The 25w unit is different than their larger models. From what I can see with the 25w Vectron, it has barbed fittings so you’d need to use hose. Also keep in mind that their size ratings and information is based on fresh water and not salt water. If it were me and you were serious about getting a quality UV, then I would spend the extra money on an AquaUV Classic 25w. Aside from the fact thsi it can be plumbed with PVC pipe or hose, it’s a really high quality unit with high quality bulbs that last 12 months or more. There is information on AquaUV’s site specially for salt water for both sizing and flow as AquaUV has a long history in commercial UV sterilization for marine water applications.

Otherwise, I think you will end up wasting money other than seeing a bit of an improvement in water clarity by using this one. Don’t get me wrong, I am sure the Vectron is better than the really cheap Chinese sterilizers that aren’t even salt water safe and better than gimmick sterilizers such as the Twist but but in my experience, if you are going run a UV sterilizer and expect to see appreciable benefits from them, they you don’t want to skimp on quality and proper sizing and setup is critical.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 08/10/2019, 01:35 PM   #11
kyley
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
Otherwise, I think you will end up wasting money other than seeing a bit of an improvement in water clarity by using this one. Don’t get me wrong, I am sure the Vectron is better than the really cheap Chinese sterilizers that aren’t even salt water safe and better than gimmick sterilizers such as the Twist but but in my experience, if you are going run a UV sterilizer and expect to see appreciable benefits from them, they you don’t want to skimp on quality and proper sizing and setup is critical.
Thanks, that's helpful. Originally I was considering the Jebao. But I'm going to get something better. Starting to lean towards the Aqua UV now. Especially if you think the 25 watt will be sufficient for my 120g.

I was planning on running tubing to it as I don't think I have room to route PVC to it in my stand. I need to look closer at the dimensions of the sterilizer and my limited space! Thanks,
--Kyle

Unread 08/10/2019, 02:47 PM   #12
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks, that's helpful. Originally I was considering the Jebao. But I'm going to get something better. Starting to lean towards the Aqua UV now. Especially if you think the 25 watt will be sufficient for my 120g.

I was planning on running tubing to it as I don't think I have room to route PVC to it in my stand. I need to look closer at the dimensions of the sterilizer and my limited space! Thanks,
--Kyle
The AquaUV 25w would be plenty sufficient for your display size. In fact, it’s about perfect for it and worth the extra money in my opinion. If you’re going to do it, do it right the first time or save up. The Jebao one is junk. Not worth the money and effort to plumb it in when it comes to use in a salt water aquarium.

Unread 08/12/2019, 09:57 PM   #13
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
And besides, I didn't ask anyone's opinion on whether UV sterilizers are good or bad. I asked about opinions on these specific UV sterilizers.
Your ‘goal’ for a sterilizer will determine whether a particular model/wattage is sufficient. If you’re just looking for clarification then something a small as 6 watts would work on a system of your size. If you’re wanting sterilization then I agree that 25 watts is probably sufficient (with attendant flow rates). I’m using the big TMC110 on my 700 gallon system and have been quite happy with it. It’s physically huge though . I happen to be in the camp that believes a properly sized Uv can help with pests. Won’t eliminate them though.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2019, 02:01 PM   #14
EnderG60
Plumbing Engineer

Well I dont see a radiation chart anywhere so there is no way to know what flow will be sufficient to kill what you want to kill.

Also anything under 40 watts is pretty much useless for anything but a nano.

Youre better off getting a used emperor unit.

EnderG60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2019, 01:59 PM   #15
peter7
Registered Member

peter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2019, 11:32 AM   #16
tkeracer619
Registered Member

You'll remove some of the guesswork going with aqua-uv since they publish data. UV can help but it needs to be sized properly. Of course it won't remove crypto from a system but could reduce the parasite in the free swimming stage. It takes a very high zap count to effect crypto so flow rates will need to be low. Cyano is likely not to be effected very much.

I would stick to aquauv if you are going this route.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote