Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/03/2013, 06:03 PM   #1
rosek007
Registered Member

Both my blue hippo tangs and puffer have ich?????

Came home today and both my blue hippo tangs and puffer fish seems to have ich. White sports all over,they don't seem or act sick and eat like 10 fish combined, I immediately started my instant ocean lifeguard treatment, Instructions say Treat that for five days so today is day one. Any suggestions anyone?

reef breeder photon48

Current Tank Info: 150 Gallon Double overflow
rosek007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2013, 06:28 PM   #2
Hokies83
Moved On

If u did not QT good chances they have ICH.

I did not QT ich is in my tank..

All you have to do is keep them happy and healthy and ICH should never be a prob.

Hokies83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2013, 09:19 PM   #3
Reefmedic79
Life and Reef Saver

I don't suggest treating your fish in your display tank, especially if you intend on it being a reef tank.

It's nearly impossible to determine your exact water volume when its full of LR. Also, LR can absorb some medications skewing the dosage, and due to the absorbtion, most medications are toxic to inverts preventing you from ever using the tank as a reef.

How much deeper would the ocean be if it didn't have sponges?
P. Sherman 42 Wallaby Way Sid

Current Tank Info: 40 Breeder, 20L Sump, 10G Fuge, JBJ A.T.O, 4" Reef Octopus, DIY Stand & Canopy, RapidLED Dimmable 36 Kit on 3 6" MakersLED Heatsink, MP10es
Reefmedic79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2013, 01:27 AM   #4
JDMR2
Registered Member

How long have you had the fish? Their eating habits are a good sign. Keep them eating and try to feed the tangs nori as well. Are there other tank mates bothering them? I would say only quarantine them if you plan on medicating, otherwise keep them eating and it should pass.

JDMR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2013, 06:05 PM   #5
rosek007
Registered Member

So the very next day the spots were gone, not sure If It wasn't ich or the meds are just that good, either way they've been In quarantine now for a little over a week and doing great no sign of ich or any disease and eating me out of house and home. this weekend i plan on putting them In my display as I need the quarantine tank for a new blue hippo and powder blue.

reef breeder photon48

Unread 09/12/2013, 06:09 PM   #6
Deahttub
Registered Member

Tangs are suceptible to ick....once they get past it alls good......

Deahttub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2013, 06:29 PM   #7
owenspackman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosek007 View Post
So the very next day the spots were gone, not sure If It wasn't ich or the meds are just that good, either way they've been In quarantine now for a little over a week and doing great no sign of ich or any disease and eating me out of house and home. this weekend i plan on putting them In my display as I need the quarantine tank for a new blue hippo and powder blue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deahttub View Post
Tangs are suceptible to ick....once they get past it alls good......
I would suggest both reading the Ich threads in the disease section of the forum, there is wonderful information, especially the stickies.

The spots will disappear but that does not mean the ich has gone, if it was Ich, it's still in your tank. Just because the fish seem happy now and the spots aren't showing it doesn't mean 'alls good' as Deahttub has suggested.

Please read about the lifecycle of the parasite. Good decision to place them in to quarantine, make sure you remove ALL fish from the tank even if they have not shown signs of ich, as they're carrying the parasite. Leave the tank empty (fallow) for 9-12 weeks to ensure the display tank is parasite free. Treat the fish in your quraantine tank during this period to ensure they're ich free.

Then quarantine every new addition.

I have just had to go through the samething. 9 weeks is a long time to wait, but its worth it not having to deal with Ich.

Good luck!

owenspackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2013, 07:17 PM   #8
JDMR2
Registered Member

I would say every tank has ich. As long as your fish are happy and eating, they won't be susceptible to it. The more stressed they are, the more easily the can get it. Which is why I believe if a fish already has signs of ich in the main display, I would leave it there and let it run its course and keep it fed. No point in stressing it more by catching it, QTing it, then catching it again.

Btw, Powder Blues are ich magnets even just by looking at it wrong =)

JDMR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2013, 07:49 AM   #9
r1racer
Registered Member

Mine do too. IMO, if your tank paramaters are stable and you feed them well (sea veggies especially) they will probably be fine carrying it.

Unread 09/13/2013, 10:42 AM   #10
cakemanPA
Premium Member

Please please please read the Ich stickies. You will get a ton of good and 10 tons of BAD advice here on ich and QT

cakemanPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2013, 12:21 PM   #11
chirojosh
Registered Member

Yeah lots of bad advice here, hit up the disease forum

chirojosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2013, 01:20 PM   #12
r1racer
Registered Member

I agree it's a good idea to read the stickies but I wouldn't call someone's advice bad because they choose not to QT. In fact, treating a fish for ich may not work (for many reasons) and it can possibly stress the fish further and ultimately kill it.

Unread 09/13/2013, 04:47 PM   #13
cakemanPA
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1racer View Post
I agree it's a good idea to read the stickies but I wouldn't call someone's advice bad because they choose not to QT. In fact, treating a fish for ich may not work (for many reasons) and it can possibly stress the fish further and ultimately kill it.
Did not say what the bad advice was... Just saying there is a lot of bad advice on this subject. Not QTing will bite you sooner or later. That is just fact!

cakemanPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2013, 05:00 PM   #14
rosek007
Registered Member

yeah I figured If It Is actually Ich it Isn't gone, either way they're In quarantine for a while.

reef breeder photon48

Unread 09/13/2013, 08:15 PM   #15
owenspackman
Registered Member

Both my blue hippo tangs and puffer have ich?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosek007 View Post
yeah I figured If It Is actually Ich it Isn't gone, either way they're In quarantine for a while.
Good to hear. Let us know how they get on!

owenspackman is offline   Reply With Quote