Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/29/2014, 02:13 PM   #1
areskasparian
Registered Member

Exclamation what sump to buy

hey guys im new to the hobby and i wanted expert ideas on what sumps to go with. i currently have a 150g tank that im running canister filters on, i have two cannister filters running on it. with coralife 220 protein skimmer. i want to upgrade to a sump and build a refugium money is little tight right now so im looking to get a sump that wont cost me more then 300, are there any brand thats a good sump or what size sump will i need for a 150g tank, i have corals in there as well so i want something tha would be good and wont kill my life stock.

thank you in advance for any comments

areskasparian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2014, 02:32 PM   #2
Zer0.
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by areskasparian View Post
hey guys im new to the hobby and i wanted expert ideas on what sumps to go with. i currently have a 150g tank that im running canister filters on, i have two cannister filters running on it. with coralife 220 protein skimmer. i want to upgrade to a sump and build a refugium money is little tight right now so im looking to get a sump that wont cost me more then 300, are there any brand thats a good sump or what size sump will i need for a 150g tank, i have corals in there as well so i want something tha would be good and wont kill my life stock.

thank you in advance for any comments
If you want to save money just make a sump out of a aquarium like a 40 breeder and some glass baffles. I'm dont have much spare time ( also not super handy )so i just had my LFS build one for me. Cost about 100 bucks.

Zer0. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2014, 02:59 PM   #3
billdogg
Registered Member

I use a 40b for my 120. For my 150 I use a 120g tank as the fuge, a 50g for the sump. I would not waste the $$$ on a "sump". Make your own. See Petco's $1/gallon sale and get a few pieces of glass cut at a local glass shop.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2014, 03:28 PM   #4
ipKonfig
Registered Member

I've personally used and been successful using Aqueon's ProFlex sumps. More specifically the Model 4. It has plenty of room for equipment, and what I think is a great design for minimizing noise and bubbles.

If you are handy, you could go the DIY route that many have suggested.

ipKonfig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2014, 07:39 PM   #5
areskasparian
Registered Member

does you guys know a link that shows how to do it?

Unread 07/29/2014, 07:41 PM   #6
areskasparian
Registered Member

and will a 30g be enough? my friend has a tank that his giving it to me, will 30g be enough for 150g or should i get a bigger tank?

Unread 07/29/2014, 08:41 PM   #7
ipKonfig
Registered Member

Quote:
and will a 30g be enough? my friend has a tank that his giving it to me, will 30g be enough for 150g or should i get a bigger tank?
There isn't a size requirement based on your display size. As long as all of the equipment you want to run fits in the sump, then it's big enough.

ipKonfig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2014, 10:14 PM   #8
Heathcoot
Registered Member

I have a old 100 gal oceanic its 5 ft I built my sump from a 40 long and used quarter inch acrylic under 40 buck I built my skimmer chamber to my skimmer spec and what it called for and a refugium then auto top off for my return section them drilled it for an external pump

Heathcoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2014, 10:19 PM   #9
rfgonzo
Registered Member

Quote:
does you guys know a link that shows how to do it?
Just do a search under sump design

rfgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2014, 02:52 AM   #10
ChelseaRanee
Registered Member

The only size recommendations I have seen are about making sure if power to the return pump stops then the sump:is large enough to handle from above the lowest point of the overflow. There is a calculator here http://www.diyfishkeepers.com/SumpSizeCalculator.htm

ChelseaRanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2014, 06:20 AM   #11
RocketEngineer
Space is big.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathcoot View Post
I have a old 100 gal oceanic its 5 ft I built my sump from a 40 long and used quarter inch acrylic under 40 buck I built my skimmer chamber to my skimmer spec and what it called for and a refugium then auto top off for my return section them drilled it for an external pump
DO NOT use acrylic baffles in a glass tank. This will happen.

Building a sump is very easy. I have built two and each time it cost me less than $100 including the original tank (dollar per gallon specials). If you are going to build a sump out of an existing tank, use the same materials as the tank to install the baffles; glass baffles in a glass tank, acrylic in an acrylic tank.

"Knowledge is what you get when you read the directions, experience is what you get when you don't." - Unknown

Current Tank Info: None Currently
RocketEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, reef, refugium, sump, upgrade