Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/13/2019, 07:04 PM   #1
Noobcoral
Registered Member

Complete Novice. Help?

hey, noobcoral here. I'd like to learn how to produce high quality corals but have 0 experience in this field. Can anyone help?

Noobcoral is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2019, 08:03 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Sure...plenty of us here to "help" others..
A good start may be to watch the "brs 52 weeks of reefing" series..
And read...read...read...to learn all you can and ask questions along the way

Unread 02/14/2019, 10:15 AM   #3
ReefsandGeeks
Registered Member

+1 on the BRS videos. They are very informative without being too overwhelming. There are alot of factors that go into producing high quality corals, but can basically be summed up into maintaining stable water perameters at or near ideal perameters, proper lighting for whatever coral you want, and proper flow. How you go about achieving this is where experiance and research come in.

Most important thing in this hobby is patience. With only a few exceptions, any changes or adjustments to your aquarium would be done very slowly. Coral can adapt to new conditions, but not quickly. Even a quick change in the right direction will likely cause corals to respond negatively. It's all about stability! Only bad things happen fast in this hobby. So take your time with it and have fun!

IMO, being forced to take things slowly keeps me more hands on and involved in the tank and I feel like I'm much more receptive to the changes that way. I feel more invested in my tank when I have to take care to make adjustments over a few weeks and watch for how the tank inhabitants react. It's all part of the fun of reefing.

Have fun with your new reefing hobby! it can be very addictive

ReefsandGeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2019, 02:07 PM   #4
herostar
Registered Member

I'm going to echo what's already been said...

Take your time, make sure your tank has the right flow/lighting for what you're trying to grow, take your time, read, keep your tank as stable as possible.

I've had the best results with regular water changes, using Kalkwasser in my topoff water, and employing a good skimmer and lights. When you're adding new coral to your tank it's more important to consider the coral's needs and where the best spot is in your tank for it, rather than picking a spot that's pretty and re-adjusting your tank systems (pumps, lights). Oh, and do lots of reading. And, when you put corals in your tank take some time to watch them and verify that they're "happy" where you put them.

Current Tank Info: 58g Oceanic (Est. 2007)
herostar is offline   Reply With Quote