Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/30/2020, 10:05 AM   #1
jeffltodd
Registered Member

Time for Upgrade

After more than 15 years, I am upgrading my tank. I'm going from a 72 gallon bowfront to a Waterbox ReefPro 180.5, and I couldn't be more excited!

I would like your input because while I've been in the hobby for 15 years, I've kept mostly the same equipment, except upgrading lights to Reefbreeders LEDs and recently adding a Neptune Apex, that I plan to expand in the new setup.

I have relocated my tank when moving from one house to the next, or even in my same home when I had hardwood floors installed. I have always saved as much water as possible and treated the event like a massive water change, except I move the rock to large trash cans, separating rock with coral, and put the fish in a Home Depot bucket with the skimmer.

1. Live Rock - I currently have about 80 pounds of live rock. I am thinking I will add another 20-40 pounds of Caribsea (dry) Life Rock. Everything I read says this does not need to be cured. I assume I can just aquascape as best I can in the new set up and then let it settle for a day or so and going back in to make adjustments. I can't really lay things out on a table to plan it.

2. Sand bed - I will leave the old sand behind and add new dry sand. I will wash it in RODI water before adding it. Before I always used live sand. What is the best method for washing sand? I though of just poking holes in the sand bag and then running water though it to give it a rinse.

3. RODI water - My tank sits right around the corder from my kitchen, which is great for dumping water out, but my kitchen faucets all have sprayers built into them, so bringing water in though an RODI unit is not ideal. I was thinking of setting up a new RODI until through a garden hose and into the garage (no water supply in garage). Right now I have an RO Buddy set up in my upstairs laundry room (far away from the tank) to make 5 gallons at a time. Obviously I need to make A LOT. I was going to get a 100 GPD unit, so I can make/keep large quantities of salt water on hand for weekly water changes.

4. Other equipment - I am thinking of adding the following equipment (in the immediate):

- Nyos 160 skimmer
- 2 MP 40 powerheads
- Neptune Systems Apex ATO
- Neptune Systems COR-15 return pump

My plan is to start with this and then add on later as I go with a Trident, DOS, etc.

Oh, and if anyone is looking for a 72 gallon all glass bowfront with sump and skimmer, powerhead and Icecap wavemaker, and practically brand new Reefbreeders V2 Photon 48 with stand, glass tops and canopy - this system has been great! Just time to upgrade myself.

Thoughts?

Current Tank Info: All-Glass 72g bow-front, Rio 2500 return; SeaClone 100 in sump; Jebao WP25 wave maker; Reef Breeders Photon48
jeffltodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2020, 11:26 AM   #2
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Wash sand in a bucket with tap water by swirling around till clear. Repeat until done.
Save a cup or 2 of old sand to help with seeding the new sand.
An angle stop valve from John Guest is your friend on a cold water line. You can use RO line to the garage. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/john-...top-valve.html
Double check on the Core 15, it will NOT START if anything happens to the Apex, the core 20 will, worth the extra cost IMHO.

Unread 09/30/2020, 04:08 PM   #3
jeffltodd
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling View Post
An angle stop valve from John Guest is your friend on a cold water line. You can use RO line to the garage. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/john-...top-valve.html
YES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling View Post
Double check on the Core 15, it will NOT START if anything happens to the Apex, the core 20 will, worth the extra cost IMHO.
Too late... pump went out on the 72, so I ordered the COR-15 and it arrived today. I'm going to hold off on using it until the new display arrives. I'm running a Rio right now.

I will move on to the COR-20 if the 15 starts giving me issues.

Thanks!

Current Tank Info: All-Glass 72g bow-front, Rio 2500 return; SeaClone 100 in sump; Jebao WP25 wave maker; Reef Breeders Photon48
jeffltodd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
howto, move, upgrade, waterbox