Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/03/2014, 03:00 PM   #151
EvMiBo
VictoriaConcordiaCrescit

Ugh, just realized how large that image link was!

Unread 04/03/2014, 03:24 PM   #152
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Awesome! Looks like its in great shape as well.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2014, 03:26 PM   #153
EvMiBo
VictoriaConcordiaCrescit

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeracer619 View Post
Awesome! Looks like its in great shape as well.
It is! It looks like it has been barely used! Btw, I got it on ebay. There were several bidders - I was wondering if any of them may have been any of you!

Unread 04/03/2014, 04:04 PM   #154
tkeracer619
Registered Member

If its me you would know it by my name t*********9 showing up as the auction winner .

Unread 04/03/2014, 08:39 PM   #155
zachts
Registered Member

there are several head free units going really cheap right now if anyone is looking........... almost got one for a steal, but don't really need it yet so didn't keep bidding

zachts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2014, 09:46 PM   #156
msderganc
Registered Member

I know this is a little off-topic, but could you recommend a good dual head peristaltic pump that could serve as an automatic water change system? It would need to move at least a couple gallons an hour to run at 25% duty cycle. I'd also need about 20' of head pressure.

Any help would be appreciated!

Current Tank Info: 75g SPS ReefSavvy in the Works (prior: 260g SPS heavy system, 70g prop system, 29g Biocube)
msderganc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2014, 10:06 PM   #157
EvMiBo
VictoriaConcordiaCrescit

Official: Masterflex Calcium Reactor Setup Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by msderganc View Post
I know this is a little off-topic, but could you recommend a good dual head peristaltic pump that could serve as an automatic water change system? It would need to move at least a couple gallons an hour to run at 25% duty cycle. I'd also need about 20' of head pressure.

I know stenner multiple head pumps have a pretty good rep. Personally, I've never used one but it seems like this one (below) might fit your needs (1.83gph and up to 25' head)... I'm sure others with a bit more knowledge will chime in.

http://stenner-pumps.com/prod-100dmp3.htm

Furthermore, I think (off the top of my head) masterflex makes multiple head heads that are in the C/L line of their pumps.

Unread 04/04/2014, 06:16 PM   #158
zachts
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msderganc View Post

Most of the Masterflex units if you get a good deal on the drive can have more than one head stacked up.

Unread 04/06/2014, 09:07 AM   #159
tkeracer619
Registered Member

When doing an AWC system you really need one or both of the pump heads to have adjustable occlusion. It helps balance the system.

If noise is a concern the brushless units are the way to go. If you look back through the first few pages of this thread it has model numbers you should be looking for.

If you want some direct help feel free to pm me. They can be daunting. I also recommend running a smaller tube like a ls16 for AWC systems. They handle greater head pressures therefore they are less susceptible to head loss when making crazy long runs.

Unread 04/06/2014, 09:24 AM   #160
msderganc
Registered Member

Thanks! I appreciate the help.

Current Tank Info: 75g SPS ReefSavvy in the Works (prior: 260g SPS heavy system, 70g prop system, 29g Biocube)
msderganc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2014, 12:21 PM   #161
zachts
Registered Member

Quote:
When doing an AWC system you really need one or both of the pump heads to have adjustable occlusion. It helps balance the system.
Proper tubing install makes a huge difference also. the Masterflex L/S heads several of us use are fixed occlusion(tension on the rollers that squeeze the tubing against the wall of the pump head).

The L/S heads have a 3% tolerance between heads and this is not different enough to make a difference for most applications. Adjustable occlusion heads would be ideal, as you can get them to within 0.5% tolerance. They just come at a premium price tag and are harder to find. But most all the Cole-Parmer Masterflex heads are interchangeable and stack able. So as suggested you don't even need to use two matching heads on the same motor. If you got one adjustable head it could be stacked on with a non adjustable head and used to match flow rate for example.

Unread 04/08/2014, 01:44 PM   #162
hkgar
Registered Member

What do the last two digits of a model number mean? I am looking at some 7523 digital pumps on ebay and some are -20, -50, -70. Is there any way to find out the differences as the descriptions all seem pretty much the same.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2014, 01:55 PM   #163
tkeracer619
Registered Member

7523-20 = brushed 6-600rpm
7523-50 = brushed .6-100rpm
7523-60 = brushless 6-600rpm
7523-70 = brushless .6-100rpm

Last edited by tkeracer619; 04/08/2014 at 02:11 PM.
Unread 04/08/2014, 02:05 PM   #164
hkgar
Registered Member

That explains why the -70 is more than the others.

Thanks Teek

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
Unread 04/08/2014, 02:12 PM   #165
tkeracer619
Registered Member

You're welcome. I updated to include the 7523-60 which is 6-600rpm and brushless.

Also, I would like to congratulate you guys. You have asked coleparmer enough questions about these old pumps in regards to the brushes that they have updated the titles on their website to indicate that spec on pumps which have been dq'd for years. Good job !!

Unread 04/08/2014, 07:35 PM   #166
fickle1
Registered Member

Love this thread. I bought a used master flex pump a while ago but took it offline because it was squeaking like mad. After reading this thread, I decided to replace the brushes. The squeak is now gone! I do have another issue though. The pump head seems to be making a ticking noise when it is pumping. It happens once per revolution of the pump head. If I lift the lever so the tube isn't being squeezed, it goes away. I made a short video. Any ideas on a fix (outside of buying a new pump head).

http://youtu.be/PTYLvRb5su4

fickle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2014, 07:54 PM   #167
zachts
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fickle1 View Post
Love this thread. I bought a used master flex pump a while ago but took it offline because it was squeaking like mad. After reading this thread, I decided to replace the brushes. The squeak is now gone! I do have another issue though. The pump head seems to be making a ticking noise when it is pumping. It happens once per revolution of the pump head. If I lift the lever so the tube isn't being squeezed, it goes away. I made a short video. Any ideas on a fix (outside of buying a new pump head).

http://youtu.be/PTYLvRb5su4
I think that is just normal operation on older pumps especially, all mine do that. It seems to be as the roller comes free from the tension of the tubing it "jumps" forward a bit as the resistance is decreased the motor suddenly turns faster for a brief moment....."click"

I'd be interested in a fix also if one exists. I've noticed putting some back pressure with my fingers on the shaft of the pump head (effectively gently trying to stop it from turning) eliminates the click but I don't know how to do that mechanically. Even running just a few RPM and dead silent there is still that noticeable "CLICK" every few minutes, though more prominent the faster the motor is running.

I should note all mine are running the L/S heads and less precise/less controllable pittman-ametek gear motor drive, but same noise just not quite as loud.

Unread 04/08/2014, 08:28 PM   #168
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Glad this thread has helped you out! Great to hear that pump is no longer a screamer. I've heard some that sound like coffee grinders.

3 things that come to mind...
-Replacing the bearings on the head with fresh Japanese bearings most of the time will take care of it.
-Re-grease the gearset with a thick synthetic grease.
-Use 3m tar strips from an auto parts store and put a tiny piece in the female side of the drive shaft before mounting the head. It will take up any slack there as well.

Unread 04/08/2014, 08:36 PM   #169
fickle1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachts View Post
I think that is just normal operation on older pumps especially, all mine do that. It seems to be as the roller comes free from the tension of the tubing it "jumps" forward a bit as the resistance is decreased the motor suddenly turns faster for a brief moment....."click"

I'd be interested in a fix also if one exists. I've noticed putting some back pressure with my fingers on the shaft of the pump head (effectively gently trying to stop it from turning) eliminates the click but I don't know how to do that mechanically. Even running just a few RPM and dead silent there is still that noticeable "CLICK" every few minutes, though more prominent the faster the motor is running.

I should note all mine are running the L/S heads and less precise/less controllable pittman-ametek gear motor drive, but same noise just not quite as loud.
I am using an easy-load 7518-60 head. I tried to pushing on the shaft as it was turning but it is still making the same noise.

Quote:
Glad this thread has helped you out! Great to hear that pump is no longer a screamer. I've heard some that sound like coffee grinders.

-Replacing the bearings on the head with fresh Japanese bearings most of the time will take care of it.
-Use 3m tar strips from an auto parts store and put a tiny piece in the female side of the drive shaft before mounting the head. It will take up any slack there as well.
Any idea what size/type of bearings I would need for a 7518-60 head? Would grease help if the noise doesn't happen when the pump head is disengaged? Or do you think it is the extra torque applied from the pump head that is causing the noise in the gears?

fickle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2014, 09:40 PM   #170
tkeracer619
Registered Member

I don't but your local bearing supply store will have them in stock. They are two different sizes but they are common.

Unread 04/08/2014, 10:58 PM   #171
zachts
Registered Member

Quote:

interesting, I'll try adding some "tar" or spacer material as you suggest to take up slack in the connections but I don't think that will solve the issue in my case, and even turning one by hand without motor makes a faint popping sound as the rotor turns. three rolers on the L/S head. on some of the heads I believe they use more than this witch should minimize the effect I have observed.

Last edited by zachts; 04/08/2014 at 11:04 PM.
Unread 04/08/2014, 11:01 PM   #172
zachts
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fickle1 View Post
I am using an easy-load 7518-60 head. I tried to pushing on the shaft as it was turning but it is still making the same noise.

Any idea what size/type of bearings I would need for a 7518-60 head? Would grease help if the noise doesn't happen when the pump head is disengaged? Or do you think it is the extra torque applied from the pump head that is causing the noise in the gears?
I will note that my set up has the heads mounted "backwards" from most CP masterflex setups such that the tab on the head is facing outward so I can "grab" it to apply force against the rotation. Simply holding my finger against the end has no effect. but loosely holding the tab and applying resistance to its rotation silences the unit.

Unread 04/17/2014, 12:39 PM   #173
Theokie
Registered Member

Quote:
7523-20 = brushed 6-600rpm
7523-50 = brushed .6-100rpm
7523-60 = brushless 6-600rpm
7523-70 = brushless .6-100rpm
Thank you for posting this, as I was getting really confused when trying to track down a brushless model. I did luck out and 1 of the two I bought was brushless. The other isn't that loud and I only run it 2 minutes every 4 hrs for water change.

Are there any other brushless models that show up on e-bay periodically? Its really hard to get any information on the older models from the Cole Palmer Website?

Theokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2014, 02:15 PM   #174
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachts View Post
I will note that my set up has the heads mounted "backwards" from most CP masterflex setups such that the tab on the head is facing outward so I can "grab" it to apply force against the rotation. Simply holding my finger against the end has no effect. but loosely holding the tab and applying resistance to its rotation silences the unit.
You could probably get the same effect with the head mounted correctly and using a large flat head screw driver.

Unread 04/21/2014, 08:13 PM   #175
mntnbighker
Registered Member

Lightbulb Stenner SVP

I am about to order a Stenner SVP series pump. It has been noted several places on reefcentral that Stenner pumps are loud. The SVP series pumps are a 12v gear motor and have no cooling fan. I think it's a safe bet they are WAY quieter than the Classic series with shaded pole motors and cooling fans, and they draw less power. The SVP are way more expensive, but they are also variable speed in 1% increments via a button pad (i.e. digital). The Classic series have a mechanical speed control that cycles the pump on and off. In my opinion this will be less desirable for adjusting effluent flow rate. I'm pretty sure that every reference to noise here refers to the Classic series. The new quickhead pro pump head design for tube replacement looks pretty sweet as well. They are clearly innovating. I checked for local sources (pool supply, etc) but nobody can touch uswatersystems prices. It so happened they had the pump I want "open box new" for a sizable discount.

mntnbighker is offline   Reply With Quote