Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/27/2015, 04:06 PM   #26
Syntax1325
Acro Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsweese View Post
Why do you think you are dealing with Alcaligenes? It's a common environmental bacterium (not airborne) so I'm curious about how it was implicated as the cause. It's a mucus-associated bacterium, in the way that it's commonly found living within the mucus layer secreted by some corals, but that doesn't mean it was causing the slime production.

As a denitrifying bacterium, if you actually had an increase in A. faecalis, problems that occurred in the tank would more likely be a result of what was driving the A. faecalis increase (increased bioburden leading to increased nitrate) than a direct effect of that bacterium.
You apparently know a lot more about this than i do. The person who helped me from Dr. Tims read this thread and referred me to three articles from Coral Magazine. The article descriptions and pictures match what I am dealing with almost perfectly. The catalyst that fueled the problem matches as well, alcohol, in my case a bourbon barrel that I opened in my basement that had a very strong smell and permeated the entire house...

I absolutely can not confirm with 100% certainty what I am dealing with; however, the treatment seems to be working. Dr. Tims felt that the problem was festering and the bourbon barrel probably sent it over the edge and started a chain reaction of sorts.

Here's a link to the article....

http://www.coralmagazine-us.com/cont...ite-reef-slime

Current Tank Info: 180g sps dom, 40b sump, Reeflo Dart, Apex, Aquamaxx co2, Reefbrite mh/led pendants w/14k twinarcs, Kore 5th doser, Tunze ATO, Ranco controlling 800 watt Finnex tube, 2 Maxpect Gyre 150XF with Ice Cap Controllers and battery backup, Bean Animal drain
Syntax1325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2015, 07:37 PM   #27
2_zoa
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_zoa View Post
I remember reading an article about room air fresheners. Coral mag I believe? The glade plug in type, causing a bacterial bloom in a tank in a dentist office. I don't recall the specifics, just enough to think it was interesting.

Do you have any air fresheners in the room or close by?

I'm just throwing this out there to maybe spark up some ideas. I hate seeing tanks struggle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsovetsky View Post
I have discovered what I am dealing with; an airborne bacteria that is associated with alcohol called Alcaligenes faecalis. This is a nasty bacteria that produces the white slime that resulted in the coral problems that I am currently experiencing, it's nasty stuff. I've been in contact with Dr. Tim's who have been very helpful in troubleshooting this issue. I was instructed to view three articles from coral magazine that dealt with the exact issue I am dealing with. They were perplexed at this issue as well at first; however, they have developed a way of attacking this aggressive and acidic bacteria. I'm going all in and putting the health of my tank in their hands, seeing that they have seen this bacteria before and have eradicated it from tanks in the past.

I'm going to start with their Refresh product, 2 half doses and then several 1/4 doses of waste away. The treatment should take about 3 weeks to a month. I'll keep this thread updated throughout the treatment.

I hope to have good news to report throughout. Thank you to those who have contributed your thoughtful responses. I'm hopeful that I can eradicate this bacteria, it is definitely having a detrimental effect on the snails and corals in the tank.

If you are interested in reading more about this bacteria, check this link out: http://www.coralmagazine-us.com/cont...ite-reef-slime
Stay tuned.

This is the very article that I was in reference too.

Good luck

2_zoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2015, 10:39 AM   #28
rholguin
Registered Member

Any updates?

Current Tank Info: 80g rimless.
rholguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2015, 05:39 PM   #29
Syntax1325
Acro Addict

Not much to report. I'm going to dose my 3rd dose of waste away tonight, a little more than 1/4 strength. I've been leaving my skimmer off for about two hours after dosing. About 24 hours after dosing I'm noticing a slight haze to the tank so I've been turning on my uv to clear it up before the next dose. I'm not sure if it is the waste away or if the same cloudiness is returning. I still see small patches of the clear white slime, they don't seem to be growing or receding. I'm probably going to have to increase my dosage amount of waste away if I don't see improvement soon.

That's all for now.

Current Tank Info: 180g sps dom, 40b sump, Reeflo Dart, Apex, Aquamaxx co2, Reefbrite mh/led pendants w/14k twinarcs, Kore 5th doser, Tunze ATO, Ranco controlling 800 watt Finnex tube, 2 Maxpect Gyre 150XF with Ice Cap Controllers and battery backup, Bean Animal drain
Unread 02/14/2015, 05:27 PM   #30
Syntax1325
Acro Addict

Update:

I've been dosing about 1/2 dose of "Waste Away every other day for the past couple of week and I have seen improvement in my tank. My sps are coloring up again and I have not had to put my UV on in over two weeks. I'm going to continue dosing for a couple more weeks just to be safe. Things are looking up, but it's been a long road.

Unread 02/15/2015, 11:31 AM   #31
milhous3er
Registered Member

Thank you for this post. I have been battling this slime bacteria for years and I thought it was due to carbon dosing (BPs). I article 2, did you see the brown slimy bacteria as well? This is what I have on my LR and overflow.

milhous3er is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2015, 03:21 AM   #32
rholguin
Registered Member

Yeah. Thanks for the update. Great to hear that your tank is doing better.

Unread 02/16/2015, 07:36 AM   #33
Avenger
Moved On

DR. tim products have always worked out well for me

Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2015, 10:37 AM   #34
rholguin
Registered Member

Any new updates?

Unread 03/15/2015, 02:34 PM   #35
Syntax1325
Acro Addict

Not much to report. I've slowed down my doses of Waste Away to about once a week without any issue. My water is still clear and corals are coloring up nicely. The only things that seem to be lagging are my two clams, a 3 inch Deresa and a small 1.5 inch Maxima... My Deresa doesn't seem to want to open all the way and tips over every time I stand it back up, and my Maxima's mantle is recessed a little and won't open fully.

Unread 01/10/2017, 10:34 AM   #36
Psxerholic
Registered Member

Hello,

Any updates on the tank and how long it took if you ever got this nasty bacteria out of the system?

Andre

Psxerholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2017, 07:38 AM   #37
Syntax1325
Acro Addict

It was a frustrating and slow process to get rid of the bacteria. The Dr. Tim's did do the job over a period of a few months. I wonder if the new "Vibrant" product would have worked faster.

Unread 01/31/2017, 09:50 PM   #38
2_zoa
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntax1325 View Post
It was a frustrating and slow process to get rid of the bacteria. The Dr. Tim's did do the job over a period of a few months. I wonder if the new "Vibrant" product would have worked faster.
I'm glad it all worked out for you!!

2_zoa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bacteria, bacterial, bloom, milky