Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/01/2016, 07:17 PM   #576
DaveRaz
Reef Rookie

I've had this guy for 3 months. Two days ago he swims in the nearest crevice and only ventures out for a brief flash then goes back in. No tank aggression although the bristle tooth can be a douche. He looks fine kinda fat and was always front and center. I'm worried.

DaveRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2016, 09:22 AM   #577
NYCEnglish
Registered Member

Any update re your Borb?

NYCEnglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2016, 10:31 AM   #578
CODE3EMT
Registered Member

Bought my Blotched Anthias from Divers Den on September 7, 2016. He or She has been in my Reefer 450, eats very well Mysis, Brine, NLS. He had a bit of cloudy eye and frayed fins in October. I treated with Prazi and he is doing very well. Eyes are clear with that classic Anthias metallic turquoise color, fins grew back. He is about 3 1/2 inches long. I can't figure out how to post pics here...... oh well. The key as others have said is making sure they do not present with swim bladder issues. I keep water at 77 degrees.

CODE3EMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2016, 12:56 PM   #579
Jackooze
Registered Member

Sup RC, I purchased a small blotchy yesterday afternoon from my local LFS. I acclimated him for three hours and then put him into a social box inside the tank to see if any other fish would have aggression. Anyways everything seemed to look good but now the blotchy is in the corner swimming face down. Has anyone else experienced this ? Is this normal ?

Reef Octo 110S
Vortechs MP40's
Jackooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2016, 05:12 AM   #580
piusma
Registered Member

Two male Borbonius Anthias fight

Hello guys,

I wanted to give something back to this community so I wanted to share my experience with my newly acquired Borbs. I ordered 4 of them through a LFS and I have rarely seen them come in on the larger side so I was expecting to receive them at the 2" range.

Upon my pickup I was surprised that they are all 3" and larger with the larger specimen at close to 4" I'd say. I have witness them fought and it was a scary scene. When the larger specimens fight, they swim against each other and push against each other with the head facing each other. They would open their big mouth and engulf another's whole mouth and hold on to it for minutes.

They can be very mean and territorial, I had to remove one of the male and QT him on the side. I only had them for a couple of days and I'll check in and report back. Thanks.

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon sps nano
piusma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2017, 08:59 PM   #581
pfan151
Registered Member

Grabbed two from NY aquatics. One is about 2" and the other is a bit over an inch. Both look perfect and are eating mysis and LRS well. Pretty impressed with these. They are actually the first I have seen in person.

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2017, 09:14 PM   #582
zchauvin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveRaz View Post
I've had this guy for 3 months. Two days ago he swims in the nearest crevice and only ventures out for a brief flash then goes back in. No tank aggression although the bristle tooth can be a douche. He looks fine kinda fat and was always front and center. I'm worried.

What type of coral is the green one? Milli?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

zchauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2017, 06:58 AM   #583
Renstar
Registered Member

I picked one up from my LFS. He's had it in his tank for a few months now. That made my decision much easier since he was already temp and light acclimated. He's incredibly healthy and of course eats like a pig. Doesn't seem to be a big fan of PE mysis (I drop those in for my mandarin) but gobbles up LRS and Rods.

He does seem to not like my flame angel so he'll sometimes chase him around for a few seconds. Ever since I got him and he comes up to the glass quite a bit my mystery wrasse is less shy and tends to swim out more. Overall extremely happy with him.

Renstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2017, 04:27 PM   #584
do_0b
Registered Member

has anyone have experience with really small borbonius anthia? my lfs has one that is about 1-1.5" in size. They said its eating brine shrimp etc but im still kinda skeptical because of its size...should i try my luck?

do_0b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2017, 04:34 PM   #585
dvmsn
Registered Member

Mine was 1.5. No issue. See them eat first.

dvmsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2017, 03:31 PM   #586
nova65ss
Registered Member

Picked up a borb pair last week eating at the lfs and looked fine. Still eating but between Wednesday and today they have both developed a hazey eye looks bigger than the other eye. Both is on the left eye. These are pretty small fish both still eating fine. I did a fresh water dip on one thinking it was flukes but it never came off. He's not happy afterwards but seems ok. Any ideas what I should do? They are in a small frag tank at the moment.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

nova65ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2017, 09:18 PM   #587
d-man
Registered Member

Where did you get them?

d-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2017, 09:56 PM   #588
nova65ss
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-man View Post
Where did you get them?
Lfs in NC

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

nova65ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2018, 12:24 PM   #589
jar41
Registered Member

i know it’s older thread but have a chance to buy this anthia. it’s fully quarantined too.only wonder about survival! do they live in home aquariums? pretty expensive fish btw!

jar41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2018, 11:01 PM   #590
Mlorman
Registered Member

Anyone interested in selling a pair? Willing to pay freight. I am in CA. PM is best

Mlorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2018, 08:55 AM   #591
Jackooze
Registered Member

Hey guys. Hoping someone can help me out here. I have a Blotchy for over a year now and recently it began behaving in a weird manner. It lays on the sandbed slightly on its side all the time unless it wants to move to another corner of the tank. It still eats when the food is floating around it’s area but is not active anymore like it use to be. It looks like it uses only one of its fins but when you scare it, it jets away to the other side of the tank. None of the fish are harrassing it at all so I am sure it’s not being stressed. All my parameters are stable and nothing has changed in my tank. It looks like it’s having the opposite affect of a swim bladder. I will try to put up a video.

Reef Octo 110S
Vortechs MP40's
Unread 11/22/2018, 09:28 AM   #592
Jackooze
Registered Member

Hey guys. Hoping someone can help me out here. I have a Blotchy for over a year now and recently it began behaving in a weird manner. It lays on the sandbed slightly on its side all the time unless it wants to move to another corner of the tank. It still eats when the food is floating around it’s area but is not active anymore like it use to be. It looks like it uses only one of its fins but when you scare it, it jets away to the other side of the tank. None of the fish are harrassing it at all so I am sure it’s not being stressed. All my parameters are stable and nothing has changed in my tank. It looks like it’s having the opposite affect of a swim bladder. I will try to put up a video.

Reef Octo 110S
Vortechs MP40's