Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/12/2009, 01:53 PM   #1
inktomi
Aviator

Various Macro Algae - Good, Bad, or 'oh no!'?

I thought I'd take some photos of the remaining algae in my tank, with hopes that I might know which ones I should jump on and which may be ok to ignore for the time being. Does anyone know what this stuff is? Should I be super worried about any of it and go for aggressive manual removal?

First off.. this one grows near the bottom of the tank, or in slight shade under rocks. It's easy to remove manually, but nothing in the tank seems to eat it. It's soft and fluffy to the touch and not a /really/ fast grower, but this clump sprang up over the course of this last week. There are a few other small clumps of it around. Doesn't seem to spread too much (yet).

DSC_0001.jpg

Second.. this one is only in one little patch about half way up the tank. Nothing seems to eat this either, and it seems to be spreading. I'm going to go for manual removal of this one I think since it seems like something that could smother corals since it grows down along the rocks.

DSC_0004.jpg

Third.. my little clump of algae. It's the last part of the tank that's still like this, and nothing seems to eat any of this stuff. I'm going to be manually removing it. The little clumps to the left that are out of focus are particularly concerning since I had a bad time with similar stuff in my 40g. I hope it's not the same stuff.. it's stiff to the touch and pulls off in a clump.

DSC_0005.jpg

Fourth.. I think that this is some sort of Cauplera algae. It's not spreading outside of this one clump, so I'm going to let it be for now (bad idea?).

DSC_0007.jpg

Fifth - another macro algae that doesn't seem to be spreading. Not sure what it is, but I've seen similar stuff. Should I rip it out? You can also see some Halmidea (spelling?) down in the front right of the clump of algea.

DSC_0009.jpg

None of these types of algae seem bothered by my GFO reactor. PO4 is undetectable. I wouldn't say I have an algae problem - but the stuff is there and I think I might wake up one day to a big problem... Hair algae is gone. Now I have the "next phase" algaes to contend with

Current Tank Info: 275g AGE, 5 Radion Pro, 4 MP40
inktomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2009, 06:00 PM   #2
Mentat
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inktomi View Post
DSC_0001.jpg
If this one has feather like fronds whirling from a center axis with a rhizoidal holdfast, it's a Bryopsis spp.

Quote:
DSC_0004.jpg
This one looks like a Padina spp., a brown macro algae that can also become invasive in a reef.

Quote:
DSC_0005.jpg
The green algae in center appears a young, morphologically undefined Caulerpa spp.

Quote:
DSC_0007.jpg
Another Caulerpa spp.

Quote:
DSC_0009.jpg
Another Caulerpa spp.

All of the above can become invasive. On top of that the Caulerpas can also undergo sexual reproduction if stressed. In tanks with a large population, it can create a problem because gametes are released with all cellular content, which overloads biological systems and includes toxins. IRT Bryopsis, this thread has some pics and discusses eradication: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...hreadid=167632

Where did you get your rock from? That was the probable source for all of them, literally half the common algae headaches are in your tank. Have no idea of livestock or your feeding style; but all those algae tell me you have excess nutrition and/or nutrients leaching from the rocks.

Mechanical removal, a combination of grazers (can you buy or burrow a "Sea Hare"), continue running GFO, increased water changes, harvesting Chaeto in a refugium can all help to keep macro algae under control.

Mentat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2009, 06:09 PM   #3
inktomi
Aviator

I'll go ahead and do a thorough manual removal tomorrow with my water change. The rock was fresh off a shipment from Bali Alor when I got it - it literally landed that morning.

I currently run GFO and have cheato in my refugium (I remove about half of it every two weeks).

I do have to feed often due to my Evansi Anthias - I think some of my excess nutrients from from that.

Current Tank Info: 275g AGE, 5 Radion Pro, 4 MP40
inktomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2009, 06:14 PM   #4
Mentat
Registered Member

Good thing is, they just arrived and have not become a problem... yet. Good luck!

Mentat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
identification, macroalgae, pest algae