Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/04/2016, 01:11 PM   #76
gb530
Registered Member

Looking good CafeReef and looking forward to seeing what you will make with the 3D printer!!!

Unread 06/04/2016, 10:34 PM   #77
CafeReef
Registered Member

Thanks, work has been killer this last week, lots of changes have kept me up most nights. hoping to get started this week.

Unread 06/05/2016, 12:37 AM   #78
Rakie
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by 110GTJ View Post
I am in love with cubes and smaller tanks right now
I agree! But cubes are deceptive in their size. A 36x36x24 seems like pretty small tank to me -- But it's 135! TO me, that tank feels half the size of a standard 120g.

I'm afraid if I wanted a cube for a main display I wouldn't be happy without a 60x60x24

Rakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2016, 01:29 AM   #79
CafeReef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakie View Post
I agree! But cubes are deceptive in their size. A 36x36x24 seems like pretty small tank to me -- But it's 135! TO me, that tank feels half the size of a standard 120g.

I'm afraid if I wanted a cube for a main display I wouldn't be happy without a 60x60x24
I completely agree.

Next spring we are finishing our basement, im going to be putting a 180 down there when done with a full fishroom behind it. debating inwall. my cube will then become my "fun" tank.

Unread 06/06/2016, 07:37 PM   #80
Rakie
In Memoriam

180g sounds nice. I think a 112g cube could hold me over for a little while.. There's this mystical thing about cubes to me, they somehow seem like they give a lot more room than they do, while actively seeming much more small than they actually are.

I can't explain how they trick me so effectively, but they assuredly do, and I love them.

Unread 06/06/2016, 07:40 PM   #81
CafeReef
Registered Member

Quote:
180g sounds nice. I think a 112g cube could hold me over for a little while.. There's this mystical thing about cubes to me, they somehow seem like they give a lot more room than they do, while actively seeming much more small than they actually are.

I can't explain how they trick me so effectively, but they assuredly do, and I love them.
I'm a big fan of 150 tall tanks, that might be an option also

Unread 06/06/2016, 07:43 PM   #82
CafeReef
Registered Member

Update day,

Somewhat tank oriented, made myself a prototype mini algae/nori grazer. The back panel slides off, insert the sheet, close and stick. It weighs enough to not move and spook the fish but only the size of a deck of cards. I have some design changes to make that I found in this design. This one in fact cracked because the suction cup is to tight. I'm thinking some rare earth maginets will work. The whole thing floats so I could remove the mag on the outside and let it float to the surface. Thoughts??

Unread 06/06/2016, 08:15 PM   #83
mr9iron
15& Over Club

Very cool, what type, and where did you get the printer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: Frag tank at the moment, planning another
mr9iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2016, 12:18 PM   #84
CafeReef
Registered Member

It's an XYZPrinting Da Vinci 1.0A, picked it up locally from a store that had them on clearance. Got it for a great deal.

Unread 06/07/2016, 06:24 PM   #85
CafeReef
Registered Member

Version 2.0
The sliding tray had an issue with the suction cup being in the way, went to a tension latch system, this might become the final design as it works extremely well. More to come.

Unread 06/15/2016, 10:03 AM   #86
CafeReef
Registered Member

Update:

Last week I decided to sign up for "The Coral Dudes" Coral of the Month club. On the third thursday of each month I will get two frags in the mail, I'm really thinking I'm going to start a zoa garden as I have quite a few now and I really like the look.

So with this, A small frag rack was needed, spent the morning going through google images until I found one I kind of liked the design of, so stole some of it's aspects until I made it my own.

This rack will be roughly 4" wide, so very small, but enough to hold a couple plugs.

I plan to print it tonight in red ABS which is what I use as my prototype filament, if it looks good and my magnets I have fit, then will print it up in black as my final copy or will make some minor adjustments. Based on it's size, I'd say it's probably a 3 hour print.

Unread 06/16/2016, 02:40 PM   #87
Jah2707
Registered Member

Can't wait to see that frag rack built. My plan is to get some of one the racks that look like rock but if I had a 3d printer this would look much better.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2575082

Current Tank Info: 24x24x18 cube
Jah2707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/20/2016, 07:24 AM   #88
CafeReef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah2707 View Post
Can't wait to see that frag rack built. My plan is to get some of one the racks that look like rock but if I had a 3d printer this would look much better.
Thanks,

I had considered getting some "natural" filament and printing a rock rack, but I don't plan to keep it in my tank full time.

Here is what I came up with, I found kind of a neat design on google so I somewhat copied the design but went with suction cup style and did a little more reinforcements in the frag holders. I need to redo it though and put a little support off the back, It "tilts" slightly, not much, but enough to bother me.

Unread 06/27/2016, 02:14 AM   #89
Rakie
In Memoriam

I like that frag rack, simple, nice, doesn't obstruct flow. Very cool. I just wish there was a good cheap source for waterproof magnets. I've had enough bad experiences with suction cups -- They're surely the devil

Unread 06/27/2016, 06:41 AM   #90
CafeReef
Registered Member

Quote:
I like that frag rack, simple, nice, doesn't obstruct flow. Very cool. I just wish there was a good cheap source for waterproof magnets. I've had enough bad experiences with suction cups -- They're surely the devil
I agree, my issue is I try my very best to buy locally whenever possible. I cant find anywhere near me that sells neodymium magniets. Im impatient and dont want to order online if they wont work. I have 10mm glass, hard to find something strong enough, that is small at the same time.

Unread 06/27/2016, 09:58 AM   #91
TprMoore
Moved On

That 3D printing is so cool! Awesome ideas!

TprMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/01/2016, 07:33 AM   #92
CafeReef
Registered Member

update:

Added a breakout box to my apex, only added one float switch for now. Printed up a mount for the float switch and used a nylon screw to act as a set screw against the glass. Program is set to work for my ATO as a DR shutoff. Should the optical sensor, and backup float sensor on my tunze fail, then the breakout box float switch will kill power to the outlet.

program:
Fallback ON
Set ON
IF SWX2_6 Closed THEN OFF

wiring is starting to get a bit out of control. moderate wire management, really would like to find another way to clean this up, not a big fan of racetracks.

Right now these are my pride and joy, my Utter chaos, rastas and sunny D's, utter chaos is now at 9 heads, started with 4, rastas have 4 new heads coming in since I got them a month ago and the Sunny D's have added 2. Things seem to be going well

Gurgle had to make an appearance, thought food was coming

updated front tank shot. sorry for the nori holder in the way

Unread 07/01/2016, 09:41 AM   #93
CafeReef
Registered Member

I also added a second temp probe, now have one in my sump and one in my overflow in my tank, this way I can have a more accurate reading between the two, so far the most they have been off from one another is .4 degrees so not to terrible.

Unread 07/03/2016, 03:47 AM   #94
Rakie
In Memoriam

Looks great, very clean and nice Aquascape.

Are you happy with the Radion XR15 over your tank? It seems like many people say it would be too small but your growth and colors look great

Unread 07/03/2016, 04:07 PM   #95
CafeReef
Registered Member

Quote:
Looks great, very clean and nice Aquascape.

Are you happy with the Radion XR15 over your tank? It seems like many people say it would be too small but your growth and colors look great
Thanks,

For the footprint the xr15 is just fine. My growth has been very nice and very little shadowing. If it was larger than 24x24 I'd want an xr30

Unread 07/03/2016, 04:25 PM   #96
Reeflife916
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeReef View Post
Version 2.0
The sliding tray had an issue with the suction cup being in the way, went to a tension latch system, this might become the final design as it works extremely well. More to come.

That is awesome I love the idea of the 3D printers and seeing the stuff you are making makes me want to get one!

Reeflife916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/03/2016, 10:02 PM   #97
Rakie
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeReef View Post
Thanks,

For the footprint the xr15 is just fine. My growth has been very nice and very little shadowing. If it was larger than 24x24 I'd want an xr30
Fair enough, everyone swears up and down it wouldn't be enough but yours looks great. Which of the 2 lenses are you running, the 120 or the 80?

Unread 07/03/2016, 10:43 PM   #98
CafeReef
Registered Member

Quote:
Fair enough, everyone swears up and down it wouldn't be enough but yours looks great. Which of the 2 lenses are you running, the 120 or the 80?
I'm using the 80, par seemed to drop off to much for the 120. Ive never done a reading, just going off specs

Unread 08/23/2016, 02:48 PM   #99
CafeReef
Registered Member

update time.

I bought some blue reef chromis which brought ich into my tank even after being in QT... This killed off almost my entire tank except for my diamond goby. Catching him has been a nightmare in an attempt to move my tank to run fallow. But today I found him dried out on the floor...not exactly what I had in mind but I am officially running fallow.

November 2nd will be redemption. Hoping to get a pair of maroon lightening clowns.

Unread 08/23/2016, 04:01 PM   #100
Rakie
In Memoriam

That's a shame CafeReef! especially since it survived QT.

I actually had another radion question for ya -- What spectrum and Intensity % are you running it at?