Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/03/2016, 12:08 AM   #101
garrettm
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo328 View Post
Tiny update today, but one I'm oddly excited about nevertheless. I ordered these brackets for the two BRS Jumbo reactors. These will allow me to mount them high along the rear of the stand and make good use of the manifold! Of course, the brackets didn't come with screws, but a quick Hone Depot run remedied that. Not sure if I am going to run the GFO and Carbon in parallel or not, but it's nice to have the option.

Hoping for a much better update tomorrow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gotta love the Home Depot! Great looking build. Did I miss how you are plumbing in the reactors??

Following!

garrettm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2016, 09:14 PM   #102
Stylo328
Registered Member

Double or Nothing... AJ's 405-Gallon Reef Savvy Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrettm View Post
Gotta love the Home Depot! Great looking build. Did I miss how you are plumbing in the reactors??

Following!

Thanks for joining.

I plumbed the reactors today using the manifold I made last week. I have them running in sequence for the moment. It's nice to have two additional outlets from the manifold available.

I also installed the first pair of MP40QDs on the rear. Will try to make some more progress tomorrow. We are getting very close.

Last edited by Stylo328; 12/03/2016 at 09:44 PM.
Stylo328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2016, 10:28 AM   #103
garrettm
Registered Member

Looking Great!

garrettm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2016, 01:31 PM   #104
klipprand
Registered Member

Can't find where I read it, but as I understand it, you should run the carbon prior to the GFO and your GFO should last longer.

klipprand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2016, 08:07 PM   #105
Stylo328
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klipprand View Post
Can't find where I read it, but as I understand it, you should run the carbon prior to the GFO and your GFO should last longer.

According to The BRS video for their dual reactor, they recommend running GFO first. I don't really know though as I've never run GFO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrettm View Post
Looking Great!

Thank you very much!

Unread 12/04/2016, 09:52 PM   #106
Stylo328
Registered Member

Spent quite a few hours tinkering with the tank today. First thing I addressed was the side curtains to cover the overflows. The cabinet guy had installed them with screws and brackets. While effective, once they were mounted and the tank slid in place, we would not have access to the rear. I designed an alternate mounting method using magnets and an L bracket. It looks just like it did and both sides are completely removable.

Very pleased with how it turned out.

Also spent some time installing the Apex components, including the head unit, PM2, WXM (will use Reeflink instead), Auto Leak Detector, and finally, mounted the MP40 and Vectra controllers. Mounted the power adaptors and all three of the EB8s. Even installed the auto fish feeder.

Hardest part was crawling through the attic to run the Ethernet lines from the modem to behind the tank. The Apex and the Reeflink will both be hard wired to the modem.

A ton of work, but a ton of fun!

Here is the rear of the tank when I called it quits for the day. Still have a ton of wire management to do. Of note, the MP40 in the center is hung from those zip-ties so that I can remove it from above if the need arises in the future.

Thanks for checking in.

Last edited by Stylo328; 12/04/2016 at 09:58 PM.
Unread 12/04/2016, 10:14 PM   #107
worm5406
Not afriad to admit wrong

I took a small 4 port hub and put it near the tank. Wired back to the wireless hub/router. That way I can always add more. After I had it running for a while I added a webcam and plugged it straight to it too.

Sometimes cables can get messy. That way I only have to replace 6 foot cables instead of trying to run new cat5/6.

Looking good!

Current Tank Info: Tank:300g Mixed Reef 300+lb LR|4" LS|5x MP40W|75g fuge|5x RadionPRO|RO DB250 skimmer|Apex
worm5406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2016, 11:13 PM   #108
LJC6780
Registered Member

Great tank! Totally jealous. Looking forward to the final outcome!

LJC6780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2016, 06:46 AM   #109
Stylo328
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm5406 View Post
I took a small 4 port hub and put it near the tank. Wired back to the wireless hub/router. That way I can always add more. After I had it running for a while I added a webcam and plugged it straight to it too.

Sometimes cables can get messy. That way I only have to replace 6 foot cables instead of trying to run new cat5/6.

Looking good!

That's a great idea. Thanks. I had never thought of adding a webcam!

Unread 12/05/2016, 06:47 AM   #110
Stylo328
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJC6780 View Post
Great tank! Totally jealous. Looking forward to the final outcome!

Thank you very much!

Unread 12/05/2016, 07:30 AM   #111
worm5406

Quote:
That's a great idea. Thanks. I had never thought of adding a webcam!
There are quite a vew good ones. I got a PTZ (pan tilt zoom) at a higher price range. My build thread has it listed. Right now it is looking at the 180 / 120 / sump. When I get the 265 added it will have a lot to look at. (But if I make the new fish room like I want I might have to get a second one. )

The HUB though has really saved quite a bit. I can plug a laptop into it and configure sitting right at the tank compared to going to a device or back to the computer in the other room.

Current Tank Info: Tank:300g Mixed Reef 300+lb LR|4" LS|5x MP40W|75g fuge|5x RadionPRO|RO DB250 skimmer|Apex
Unread 12/05/2016, 04:06 PM   #112
dgasmd
Registered Member

Simply outstanding

Current Tank Info: Currently out of the hobby, but considering a Comeback V 2.1!
dgasmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2016, 02:57 AM   #113
Stylo328
Registered Member

Quote:
There are quite a vew good ones. I got a PTZ (pan tilt zoom) at a higher price range. My build thread has it listed. Right now it is looking at the 180 / 120 / sump. When I get the 265 added it will have a lot to look at. (But if I make the new fish room like I want I might have to get a second one. )

The HUB though has really saved quite a bit. I can plug a laptop into it and configure sitting right at the tank compared to going to a device or back to the computer in the other room.

I'll definitely look into that. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgasmd View Post
Simply outstanding

Thanks bud! Start getting ready, were almost there!

Unread 12/06/2016, 04:46 AM   #114
Chopper65
Registered Member

Looks great, have been following along, you are way more organized than I am lol

Chopper65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2016, 09:30 PM   #115
Stylo328
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper65 View Post
Looks great, have been following along, you are way more organized than I am lol

Thanks. I appreciate you following and the compliment.

Unread 12/07/2016, 09:30 AM   #116
this is me
Registered Member

Very nice plumbing! Wow, I can't imagine how many tries and how many trips to the hardware store that I would have to make in order to complete that job!

When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $4.95 per minute.

Current Tank Info: Miracle 360 gallons
this is me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2016, 06:42 AM   #117
Stylo328
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by this is me View Post
Very nice plumbing! Wow, I can't imagine how many tries and how many trips to the hardware store that I would have to make in order to complete that job!

Thanks! It was quite a bit of trial and error. I can say that I am happy to own a miter saw and to be a few miles from HD. Must have been at least five trips.

Unread 12/09/2016, 06:50 AM   #118
Stylo328
Registered Member

Good morning. A few updates. The second L1 arrived and is plumbed in. I have to do some tweaking to the bean animal in the ghost overflows. With both pumps, I cannot run them over 40% without some challenges. I'm thinking it's the second "open" drain that needs some work. Thank God for the emergency drains!

I found a few scratches on the front panel and on one side. A local tank builder is coming to polish the glass today. I've seen his work and am optimistic. I pray it turns out well.

Was thinking, and please chime in, with three MP40s on the back wall and the two L1s, do I really need to install the MP60s on the sides? I have them, but the tank looks so clean without them. I guess I could always add them later. But that would require modifying the rear skirts.

I'll post some pics of the "polishing" later. Have a great day all.

Unread 12/09/2016, 08:44 AM   #119
worm5406

Quote:
A second pump, or higher pressure, might increase that water to where you want it too.

Quote:
I hadn't thought of that. Now I'm torn. If I don't raise the level in the overflow and the second pump doesn't resolve it, then I'm stuck with the lower level as it will be hard to access the overflow boxes once the tank is in place.

Conversely if I do raise the intakes in the overflow and the second pump increases it further, I could end up with a real issue when I put the second pump on. Same issue with access to the overflow applies.

Unfortunately I will not be able to add the second pump until I tear down the 187 and swap all rock and corals over to this tank.
SO... With the second pump how does the levels look??

Raising that lip is not affecting the Ghost overflows is it? Drop them back down maybe?

I agree on tuning the primary drains and getting that siphon set exactly correct.

Unread 12/09/2016, 08:49 AM   #120
McGee10
Ex FMAS board member

Very nice job, as far as the MP 60s it all depends upon what you are putting in as far as corals, if you're going SPS you will definitely need them.

Dean Jackson

Current Tank Info: 180 Gal DT, Trigger Systems Emerald 39 - sump, Apex, 2 x AI Hydra's+5 x Hydra 52's,Apex WAV, SRO 3000, MTC Pro Cal
McGee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2016, 08:47 PM   #121
Stylo328
Registered Member

Quote:
SO... With the second pump how does the levels look??

Raising that lip is not affecting the Ghost overflows is it? Drop them back down maybe?

I agree on tuning the primary drains and getting that siphon set exactly correct.

Second pump definitely raised the level. I had a hard time with the overflows though, so had to throttle the pumps back to 40%. Today I re-did the bean animal and am hoping for better results. I'll let you know when we fill the tank this week. I gave up on raising the lip in the overflows by the way.

Unread 12/09/2016, 08:49 PM   #122
Stylo328
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGee10 View Post
Very nice job, as far as the MP 60s it all depends upon what you are putting in as far as corals, if you're going SPS you will definitely need them.

Thanks! It's going to be a mixed reef, but there should be plenty of SPS in there. With the removable side curtains, I should be able to add the MP60s later if need be. I'll just have to modify the curtains to allow for the cords.

Unread 12/09/2016, 10:09 PM   #123
Stylo328
Registered Member

Today saw plenty of tank activity. Pedro (vividclearglass.com) arrived at 10:30 to polish out several scratches that I discovered on the front and side panes. I was surprised to find how much the MP40s the previous owner had on the side panes had marred the glass.

To prepare I drained all the freshwater last night, relying on the shop vac to collect what the siphon left behind. By the time Pedro arrived, the tank was dry and ready.

Here are a few photos of the scratches (difficult to capture) and the polishing process.

And the final product, scratch free!

The polishing process does create some distortion when viewed at an extreme angle, but the absence of the scratches is well worth it!

I have to recognize Pedro. He quoted me a price based on a two-hour job. When he arrived and evaluated the tank, he identified far more scratches than my wife and I had found. He was here working for over seven hours and the final price was consistent with the quote. A great guy and his attention to detail was incredible!

Unread 12/09/2016, 11:41 PM   #124
worm5406

Nice job. That looks so much better!

Unread 12/11/2016, 05:16 PM   #125
McGee10
Ex FMAS board member

What size is the CO2 bottle looks small, is it a 5# bottle?

Dean Jackson

Current Tank Info: 180 Gal DT, Trigger Systems Emerald 39 - sump, Apex, 2 x AI Hydra's+5 x Hydra 52's,Apex WAV, SRO 3000, MTC Pro Cal
McGee10 is offline   Reply With Quote