Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/29/2016, 07:24 PM   #1
vlangel
Registered Member

56 gallon tribute tank

I felt so bad when I lost my male seahorse, (my 1st seahorse loss) that I began to ponder how to make my tank even better for ponies. Removing the sandbed is what I thought could improve husbandry. That led to a new bigger tank built in honor of my stallion. This is a pic of Eve in her new tank with a misty mural of Adam looking over her.

vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2016, 04:48 PM   #2
vlangel
Registered Member

It turns out that creating a natural looking scape on a bb aquarium is challenging, (at least for me). I finally settled on this which offers hitches in multiple intensities of flow, incorporates the mural into the scape and has the food bowl in a sheltered cove so its not necessary to turn the pumps off to feed.

Unread 11/02/2016, 02:50 PM   #3
JBarnes
Registered Member

Very nice.

JBarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2016, 03:01 PM   #4
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBarnes View Post
Very nice.
Thank you!

Unread 11/06/2016, 03:22 PM   #5
vlangel
Registered Member

Well the tank seems to have gotten through the mini cycle as the last 3 days the ammonia has been 0 ppm.

I called Seahorse Source and got to talk to Abbie. She was so nice and listened carefully to my concerns about mixing ponies from different sources. SInce they are the same specie she agreed that I can minimize that risk by doing bigger than normal water changes, which is what I will do.

Tuesday morning a pair of ponies will arrive at my doorstep and one is a pinto. Hopefully my light backround tank will encourage nice coloration. They will however go into a 10 gallon QT to recover from shipping stress first.

Unread 11/07/2016, 06:38 PM   #6
BlueCat1949
Registered Member

Cool vlangel good luck with your new horses.

BlueCat1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2016, 06:19 AM   #7
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCat1949 View Post
Cool vlangel good luck with your new horses.
Thank you BlueCat. I am very excited for the new ponies plus I know that Eve, my female seahorse will be happy when they join her.

Unread 11/09/2016, 04:52 PM   #8
vlangel
Registered Member

Well, my little ponies have arrived and they are beautiful. They look great and are perfect but finicky. She has settled in better than him. She explored the tank and ate frozen mysis the first day. He on the other hand has been reclusive and although I have seen him snick I am not sure he got anything. I am enriching live brine shrimp now but gave them some immediately to elicit a feeding response. Also I started an amphipod culture a few months ago and am hoping to harvest some to entice my new ponies.

Unread 11/10/2016, 09:14 AM   #9
BlueCat1949
Registered Member

Pix?

Unread 11/10/2016, 12:37 PM   #10
vlangel
Registered Member

I am sorry that the pic is so poor. You know how it is, they head for the darkest most unphotographical spot in the tank!

I will try to get some better pix as they settle in.

Unread 11/10/2016, 07:47 PM   #11
vlangel
Registered Member

The new seahorses are getting a lot of attention but Eve is still a rock star!

Unread 11/11/2016, 11:12 AM   #12
vlangel
Registered Member

Here is a better pic of my new ponies from Seahorse Source. An order of ghost shrimp came this morning and to my delight they were smaller than usual.
Ruth and Boaz (the names I settled on) perked up immediately when I put a few in the QT. With brutal deadly precision they proceeded to hunt down the hapless shrimp. Boaz sucked one in the size of his head. Ruth prefers to snap them in half and try to eat both parts before Boaz cashes in on her kill.

As you can see they are out in the open now which is a good sign.

Unread 11/13/2016, 07:23 AM   #13
vlangel
Registered Member

Finally this morning Boaz began eating frozen mysis. Ruth has been eating it like a champ. They are looking more relaxed and comfortable too. I am chomping at the bit to add them to the display tank so they can meet Eve but I need to block the overflow teeth so they don't accidently go over.

Unread 11/16/2016, 07:57 AM   #14
BlueCat1949
Registered Member

Happy for you vlangel. It has been 9 years since I stopped breeding seahorses and 14 years since I got my first erectus breeders from another hobbyist. I still remember the joy of seeing my first pair swimming in their 30 gallon cube.

Unread 11/16/2016, 10:25 AM   #15
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCat1949 View Post
Happy for you vlangel. It has been 9 years since I stopped breeding seahorses and 14 years since I got my first erectus breeders from another hobbyist. I still remember the joy of seeing my first pair swimming in their 30 gallon cube.
Thanks BlueCat! It was nerve wracking those first 4 days when he would not eat and she only sporadically. Now they are taking mysis right from the turkey baster which will help me feed them in the big 56 gallon display tank. The plan is to move them Sunday after the lights go down to just blue.
Here is a video link of my display if you are interested. I must warn you that 5he music is terrible.

https://youtu.be/5MssKF7g5iE

Unread 11/17/2016, 07:16 PM   #16
pfan151
Registered Member

Looking good. I just grabbed a pair of babouri's and the male is acting like yours when you first got it. The female is voracious. Hopefully the male comes around soon like yours.

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2016, 08:30 PM   #17
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post
Looking good. I just grabbed a pair of babouri's and the male is acting like yours when you first got it. The female is voracious. Hopefully the male comes around soon like yours.
Now they both are eating very well 3Xs a day and have fattened back up.

Unread 11/22/2016, 08:35 AM   #18
sde1500
Registered Member

Very cool tank design, the painting it the back of it looks awesome! Out of curiosity, why do you think going bare bottom will improve husbandry?

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2016, 10:45 AM   #19
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sde1500 View Post
Very cool tank design, the painting it the back of it looks awesome! Out of curiosity, why do you think going bare bottom will improve husbandry?
Thank you for the kind comment about the mural.

With a bare bottom tank I can direct more flow at the bottom without concerns of stirring up sand. That flow now is able to lift excess mysis and detritus up into the water column to be filtered out in my sump by the large skimmer.
Also I can easily see when anything is collecting on the bottom where I can quickly syphon it out. With sand it was necessary to vacume it often, a chore that can easily be overlooked.

Unread 11/23/2016, 02:44 PM   #20
vlangel
Registered Member

FTS showing what I see from my sofa. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Unread 12/07/2016, 01:11 PM   #21
Devaji108
Registered Member

Soooo nice! great Vid too. very clean set up. the BB is growing on me.
I went back and forth for weeks if I was gonna do SH or reef. just a hard choice. If I was not a renter I would do both...
your tank is inspiring. keep up the good work and the updates coming.
now to leave the SH section before I get crazy ideas...

Devaji108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2016, 01:14 PM   #22
Devaji108
Registered Member

PS I just got the yellow and red NPS gorgs for my mixed reef gorg dom take. so far there going great add alot of color to the tank. I think they would look amazing you yours too.
just thought I would share...

Devaji108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2016, 02:00 PM   #23
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devaji108 View Post
PS I just got the yellow and red NPS gorgs for my mixed reef gorg dom take. so far there going great add alot of color to the tank. I think they would look amazing you yours too.
just thought I would share...
Thanks for all the kind words. My tank could definitely use more yellow in it. I have thought about NPS gorgs but feeding them is what worries me. Right now everything survives with just the nutrients given off by the seahorses. Feeding the tank will increase the chance of encouraging pathogenic bacteria and the seahorses' health is my number 1 priority. It would be a delicate balance with risk and right now I am afraid to do that.

Unread 12/11/2016, 09:27 AM   #24
Cstaricansrfer1
Registered Member

Looking good! I love my 56G for seahorses. Nice aquascaping and the bare bottom looks good as well.

Unread 12/12/2016, 06:21 AM   #25
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cstaricansrfer1 View Post
Looking good! I love my 56G for seahorses. Nice aquascaping and the bare bottom looks good as well.
I love it too!
The dimensions are perfect for seahorses, plus I had enough depth to work with the rock for a nice aquascape.