Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Soft Coral Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/04/2017, 07:42 PM   #1
ServingAces15
Registered Member

New Xenia: How to secure to LR?

Hey guys, I'm new to ReefCentral but part of other forums. I recently started my first reef tank a few months ago and just bought my first 2 corals. One was a green star polyp which has acclimated very well to my tank. The other was a steal. At $10 I got a bunch of pulsing xenia and a few button polyps that were a stowaway on the frag. My LFS frags their corals onto eggcrate instead of plugs, which brings my question. What is the best was to sanction this off and attach it to my rock? I've attached a picture to put a visual to my words. Thanks.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4643.JPG (68.2 KB, 106 views)
ServingAces15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2017, 11:25 AM   #2
themagicman
Registered Member

Your best bet IMO is to cut off a stalk and put it in a small glass bown full of rubble. Place this somewhere in the tank where it won't get blown away and wait for it to attach. Once it's attached to a piece of rubble then you can secure this anywhere you want. Be careful with this stuff though. It has been known to become quite a pest and spread throughout many tanks over the years.

Unread 02/08/2017, 08:45 AM   #3
jayball
Registered Member

X2 on be careful about the spread.

For Xenia I like to snip it off low and run a needle and thread through it. Then you tie the thread around or super glue the thread to rubble. you can then pull the thread out in a few days to a couple weeks after it attaches. Looking at your pictures you may need to wait for it to grow longer stalks for my technique.

jayball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2017, 02:16 PM   #4
crawlerman
Registered Member

You could just let that piece of egg crate sit there for a month and the rock will be covered in it. The stuff spreads like a weed. So does the green star polyp. It may seem like that's what you want now, but you will regret letting it spread too much. Try to keep them isolated.

crawlerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2017, 11:47 AM   #5
Optionman
Registered Member

the Xenia in this photo is just 70% of what's in my tank after adding a single small frag 7 months ago.

live and learn!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2795.jpg (105.5 KB, 73 views)
Optionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2017, 01:22 AM   #6
Fizzman
Registered Member

Lol, they didn't frag it on the egg crate, they left a frag there too long and it got everywhere on the egg crate. It was faster to just make another rack than scrape them off, plus it will still come back.
+1 on leaving the egg crate on a rock u want the xenia to be on and in about 2months they would be all over that rock. Then u can take that rack out and sell it back to the Lfs for store credit, probably 1/3 of what u paid, but hey that's still better than nothing. Trade for water or something

Fizzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2017, 01:26 AM   #7
Notquiterite
Registered Member

I had this overtake my tank as well, to the point that I spent every weekend trying to kill off as much as I could as it was growing onto my other corals. I eventually gave up lol. Now that I have a second chance with the tank, I have absolutely no xenia in there haha.

Notquiterite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2017, 03:01 PM   #8
ServingAces15
Registered Member

So the xenia has already doubled in size since I first posted this thread. Thanks everyone for the feedback. My green star polyps have their own rock separate from the others for them to take over. Additionally, I'm very well aware that xenia grows like a weed but since I am very new to corals I wanted something that was hardy and good to learn stuff on like how to frag corals, coral placement, etc. I don't mind it taking over the tank because I don't really have plans to put any other corals in there. Thank you again for the feedback. Since I had a fair amount of it to start with I tried a few different methods. However, what worked best was cutting the eggcrate down and securing it to the rock with thread. It took the rock in no time.

ServingAces15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2017, 01:17 AM   #9
Reefer40b
Registered Member

I just set frag plug around the xenias and when they spread they attach to it, real simple, no cutting super glue or rubber bands. Keeps them from spreading more on my rocks, every week you will have a frag though...

Reefer40b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2017, 07:07 PM   #10
swiftvision
Registered Member

Yeah, Xenia and GSP are the devil.

Hope you don't have any other coral in there that you like.

Current Tank Info: 8 Gallon Nano Reef and custom 100G cube reef
swiftvision is offline   Reply With Quote