Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/27/2017, 03:46 PM   #1
Brandon0034
Registered Member

Apex Dos vs GHL

I am setting up a new 150 gallon SPS tank and here are my options:
2 Apex DOS
Pros: All apex integrated, control panel will all match
Cons: Limited to one for AWC and the other for Ca,Alk. No channel for Mag.

1 Apex DOS and 1 GHL 4 channel Doser
Pros: DOS for AWC, GHL for Ca,Alk,Mag plus one extra channel
Cons: Not apex integrated

I'm almost 100% on getting at least 1 DOS because I want to do AWC and this allows for much higher flow rates than regular dosers. I think both will be great options but my main concern is will I need to dos Mag with AWC(planning on 15% weekly)? And will I regret not having the extra channels?

Brandon0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2017, 04:34 PM   #2
luvreefs23
Registered Member

Hey Brandon, I was in same dilemma but I decided I will just end up needing 3 DOS units. 1 for water changes and 2 for the aquaforest balling method and I have an extra channel for something else...I think I'm gonna dose some brightwell aquatics liquid food for my coral and fish. Anyway if you look into the aquaforest products they combine their mabesium with their calcium and kh is by itself, their 3rd component is called reef Mineral salts which is a variety of micro elements. So I guess if you use the 2 out of the 3 that would solve your issue to go one way but I'd say to buy 1 DOS for your awc and the 3-4 channel stand alone ghl doser, still has an app and allows control where you are. I also like the dos due to plugging into the 1 link ports on my eb8-32 units saving me outlets.

luvreefs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2017, 04:40 PM   #3
luvreefs23
Registered Member

Also, aquaforests theory is a healthy tank is going to use ca,kh, and mag in equal amounts so according to that water changes prolly won't keep you from having to dose mag and nothing else.

luvreefs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2017, 10:06 PM   #4
sus
Premium Member

I am having the same debate. I have purchased 1 DOS for AWC, but will likely go with the GHL SA for dosing. I thought I also read that the new GHL is capable of continuous use (AWC)? So I may end up selling the DOS and buying the SA GHL plus a slave which is cheaper than 3 DOS units and gives you 2 more pumps.

sus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2017, 10:39 PM   #5
Brandon0034
Registered Member

The GHL could be used for AWC but it says "small amounts". The GHL is only 8-45 ml/min so it would definitely cause premature wear on the unit and wouldn't be advised. For one gallon it would take 84 minutes of consecutive use on the GHL whereas the DOS only 15 min. Obviously I would split this up over multiple intervals throughout the day but for me to achieve 3-4 gallons a day the GHL would probably burn out and be on almost all day.

Brandon0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2017, 11:36 PM   #6
minus9
Registered Member

What about the GHL Doser 2 SA and a genesis renew system? I have an apex and a GHL Doser 2 SA on my 22g and I'm upgrading to a 90g shallow soon and I'm strongly considering one of the genesis renew bundles for awc. Granted they're more than a DOS, but their sole design is for awc.
Just a thought.

minus9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2017, 07:29 AM   #7
reefwiser
Registered Member

For large systems a genesis renew would be a better choice for AWC.

September 23rd,2017 11 am till 3pm
Saint Thomas Fellowship hall,9616 Westport Road,Louisvi
reefwiser is offline   Reply With Quote