Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/14/2016, 03:21 PM   #151
ADVRESOURCE
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo18 View Post
Correct..what you take out of the DT is what goes into your AT.
30 gallons out means 30 gallons in /2.5 gallons out means 2.5 gallons in.It's just up to you how much turn-over you need in the AT.
The nice thing is that what is going into your AT is good,bacteria rich water.
Just watch the salinity from time to time in the AT..as it will rise very slowly due to less evaporation RO top-off .All the other parameters in your AT will be spot on with your DT parameters. (but do verify occasionally)
Yes, Thanks. I will check parameters periodically and salinity more often. With the excessive supply and moderate return in the AT...using the sump for auto top off...I was hoping the evaporation and resupply of RODI would be sufficient through the sump. Time will tell...just a hypothesis!

ADVRESOURCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2016, 06:14 PM   #152
Ricardo18
Registered Member

my AT sump has an overflow pipe at the operating water level. This pipe just empties into the floor drain.
So when 2 gallons go in the top (supplied from the main tank), 2 gallons go out from the sump

Current Tank Info: 500 gallon display,650 system Lifereef Skimmer Ozone UV Apex Radion Genesis
Ricardo18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2016, 06:48 PM   #153
ADVRESOURCE
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo18 View Post
my AT sump has an overflow pipe at the operating water level. This pipe just empties into the floor drain.
So when 2 gallons go in the top (supplied from the main tank), 2 gallons go out from the sump
That's a great setup. Mine was a little of an after thought. I would like to have a drilled pipe so that I don't have to use a pump to balance DT to AT and AT to DT flows. I have high and low level float switches so that I don't get a dry AT tank or water on the floor. But, the adjustment to and from AT is a pain since it has to take into consideration evaporation and pump calibration errors. I've never had a low AT tank water but, the rear return area gets low.

I use an evaporate cooling fan to maintain temperature. Unfortunately, lots of evaporation in a day. Plus, I just put a dehumidifier in and it takes water from the air which is being replaced with my tank water. Vicious cycle...

Unread 07/14/2016, 06:50 PM   #154
ADVRESOURCE
Registered Member

Good new though. The rogue blue green chromis that I thought died had jumped into the return area in back of the AT. I found him swimming and eating by the return pump. Probably, his new home!!!

Unread 07/19/2016, 10:55 AM   #155
ADVRESOURCE
Registered Member

We'll...I have finalized the adjustment for the Accl Tank flow between DT and AT. Between evaporation and dosing pump calibration, I have differential of 1.25 gallons excess going into the AT. The back of the AT remains pretty constant. The front of the tank always remains good.

After I transfer all of the corals to the DT in a few months, I will have the AT drilled and drained back to the DT. That way I can just use a pump and not doser for water exchange.

I may use the DOS for MG and maybe to perform specific amount of flow through my CA Reactor. Have to research that technique more thoroughly.

Alk 9.0 CA 520 MG 1470 Nitrate 0 Phos 0 and NH3: 0

Still Dosing Alk only. Trying to get to 9.5 or 10.

Unread 07/20/2016, 12:53 PM   #156
ADVRESOURCE
Registered Member

Changed Phosban and Carbon today. Cleaning Max Gyre. Reading the PAR on AT.

Frag's in AT. Waiting another couple of months to transfer to DT.

Unread 07/21/2016, 10:37 AM   #157
ADVRESOURCE
Registered Member

Added a cleanup crew of snails. Cleaned most of the golden brown algae overnight. Tested Alk with Hanna. The measurements were consistently low. 7.6dkh. The RPI test kit shows 9.0. Going to take water to LFS for a 3rd opinion.

Unread 07/21/2016, 01:34 PM   #158
Ricardo18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVRESOURCE View Post
Added a cleanup crew of snails. Cleaned most of the golden brown algae overnight. Tested Alk with Hanna. The measurements were consistently low. 7.6dkh. The RPI test kit shows 9.0. Going to take water to LFS for a 3rd opinion.
That's what I do when I do not like my test result...keep on testing 'till I get the number I want!

Current Tank Info: 500 gallon display,650 system Lifereef Skimmer Ozone UV Apex Radion Genesis
Ricardo18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2016, 02:58 PM   #159
ADVRESOURCE
Registered Member

Well, HANNA seems more accurate. The LFS uses API also, and they're kit also read between 7 and 8. Still dosing with the ALK Soda Ash. Also, dialing in my Ca Reactor today. 100 bpm and 50mls/min affluent. Using PH controller. Waiting to get to ph 6.5. Will check ALK and PH of affluent. Will continue to dose until CA and ALK are balanced.

Unread 07/22/2016, 08:28 AM   #160
bdunn12
Registered Member

Man just found this post. I just moved from Tucson to Biloxi last year. If I was there I would have helped out in a heart beat. Love working on tanks and building stuff for it. Glad you found help.

bdunn12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2016, 10:09 AM   #161
ADVRESOURCE
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdunn12 View Post
Man just found this post. I just moved from Tucson to Biloxi last year. If I was there I would have helped out in a heart beat. Love working on tanks and building stuff for it. Glad you found help.
Thanks. This hobby is filled with challenges. Everyone is very helpful. Are you setting up a tank in Biloxi?

Unread 07/22/2016, 10:11 AM   #162
ADVRESOURCE
Registered Member

Got a pencil urchin to tackle the golden brown algae on the deep sand bed inside the sump. He was so excited about his new home that he expelled some white cloudy stuff. Today he's sssslowwwwly motoring around...eating!

Unread 07/22/2016, 11:26 PM   #163
ADVRESOURCE
Registered Member

The effluent was ph 6.9. The dkh was 15. Tank ph is 8.2. Why is alk high with ph greater than 6.5?

Unread 07/23/2016, 04:33 PM   #164
ADVRESOURCE
Registered Member

Added a sea hare to help the pencil urchin rid the deep sand bed refugium of algae.

DT:
PH: 8.2 Alk: 10.024

CA rX:
PH: 6.6 Alk: 16.24

Reduced DOS alk dosing of Soda Ash back down to 52 ml.

Unread 07/26/2016, 03:35 PM   #165
ADVRESOURCE
Registered Member

Reduced flow to AT and from DT to 5 gallons per day. The evaporation for 30 gallons was unmanageable for the 20 gal AT.

Found that the solenoid for my old CO2 valve wouldn't shut off. PH in CA reactor was 6.2. Checked DT and PH 8.1, Alk 10.03 and CA 508. Ran more flow through reactor until PH in reactor was up to 6.6. Ordered the CarbonDoser Electronic CO2 Regulator from BRS with programmable bubble supply.

Also, ordered the new durable propellers for my Maxspect Gyre XF150 Ruggedized Propellers & Cages (A&B) from Coralvue.

Getting a sea hare for the AT. There's algae that the snails and tang aren't cleaning up very fast. The hare and urchin are doing a great job in the deep sand bed refugium.

Unread 07/26/2016, 03:36 PM   #166
ADVRESOURCE
Registered Member

Starting the ALK CA dosing until the CO2 regulator comes in.

Unread 07/27/2016, 08:48 PM   #167
ADVRESOURCE
Registered Member

Added sea hare to at. Hopefully it'll do a better job at algae control than the scopas tang

Unread 07/28/2016, 01:17 PM   #168
bdunn12
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks. This hobby is filled with challenges. Everyone is very helpful. Are you setting up a tank in Biloxi?
Yes, my 72g half circle tank has been up for almost 3 months now. Waiting for the phosphate to subside so I can add corals for the first time ever!

bdunn12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2016, 05:03 PM   #169
ADVRESOURCE
Registered Member

Like see your build thread.

Unread 07/28/2016, 05:49 PM   #170
ADVRESOURCE
Registered Member

DT got a orange diamond goby to help with algae control and sand sifting.

Unread 07/29/2016, 07:38 AM   #171
ADVRESOURCE
Registered Member

The two tanks make the single office room very hot. The dehumidifier works great and keeps the room at 45% humidity but, the room is very warm. I keep the entire office space temperature set to 72. The office gets to around 78. Do I need a separate Ac unit in the fish tank office?

Unread 07/29/2016, 11:16 AM   #172
ADVRESOURCE
Registered Member

Added a room fan and it helps. Diamond goby is hiding...hopefully it comes out soon. Checked the room for jumpers...couldn't detect anything in front or sides of stand.

Unread 08/01/2016, 03:06 PM   #173
ADVRESOURCE
Registered Member

Purchased new Maxspect Gyre xf150 propellers and the new rugged propeller bushings. The rotors for the motor are not the same dimension so one bushing fit fine the other bushing wouldn't fit all the way. This turned out to be problematic. Submitted a trouble report to Coralvue and they are sending me new magnet and rotors for both my Maxspect Gyre's.

Unread 08/01/2016, 06:54 PM   #174
rockworm
A-counting guy

Quote:
Purchased new Maxspect Gyre xf150 propellers and the new rugged propeller bushings. The rotors for the motor are not the same dimension so one bushing fit fine the other bushing wouldn't fit all the way. This turned out to be problematic. Submitted a trouble report to Coralvue and they are sending me new magnet and rotors for both my Maxspect Gyre's.
I am glad to hear that Coralvue is looking after it. I really like the gyre and it can sure move water. Like you, I have two 150s plus a 130. I am looking forward to their new controller.

Current Tank Info: 400g SPS and 75g non SPS
rockworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/02/2016, 08:19 AM   #175
ADVRESOURCE
Registered Member

Coralvue has great customer service. They resolved this problem for me in a day. They have a customer service link on their website. Lots of good feedback from gyre users. They respond very quickly to posts. You must have receipt of purchase and serial numbers off the back of the magnet.