Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/11/2017, 09:48 PM   #1
bcb577
Registered Member

anemone in 14 gallon biocube

I have started the process of researching anemones. I know they arent easy to keep and that they can be very sensative to tank parameters,they can roam and sting other corals,get caught in powerheads,amongst other issues. But I got the fever to own one if possible in my tank?one issue I can see is lighting in the coralife biocube.i like the bta and am researching others.What kind would the forum suggest if any? is it even a reality? my main concern is the health of the animal and that its happy in its enviorment,are there other options? I am planning to add the extra led strip to the lighting.Any thoughts,concerns, ideas are all welcome!

bcb577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/11/2017, 09:57 PM   #2
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

I had a 13.5 gallon Fluval Evo. I was very hesitant about adding even the smallest host anemones. It might be possible but it's not something I'd do myself or recommend to others. Since I really like clowns and anemones I upgraded to a larger tank. The smallest tank size I'd be comfortable with would be 20+gallons for a BTA or H. Malu.

CoralsAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/11/2017, 10:35 PM   #3
bcb577
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoralsAddiction View Post
I had a 13.5 gallon Fluval Evo. I was very hesitant about adding even the smallest host anemones. It might be possible but it's not something I'd do myself or recommend to others. Since I really like clowns and anemones I upgraded to a larger tank. The smallest tank size I'd be comfortable with would be 20+gallons for a BTA or H. Malu.
I appreciate the info and will definatly keep that in mind.

Unread 09/12/2017, 07:30 AM   #4
Mr. Eel
Best eel owner in the US

You could consider a rock flower anemone or a mini carpet nem because they are smaller and hardier than other nems.

Current Tank Info: 125 gal reef tank 50gal Fo 50 gal Mixed reef
Mr. Eel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2017, 11:17 AM   #5
humphreyhh
Registered Member

I assume that you want clownfish and a host anemone correct? Then mini carpet and rock flower anemone won't work. There are people having btas in smaller tanks like yours without a problem. It all depends on your tank maintaining habit. But it's very possible that your bta wil out grow your tank some day and your tank will be filled up with just tentacles... I agree with above, get a 20 gallon+ , it will work perfectly fine with a bta and clownfish in there.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

humphreyhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2017, 03:56 PM   #6
bcb577
Registered Member

carpet anemone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Eel View Post
You could consider a rock flower anemone or a mini carpet nem because they are smaller and hardier than other nems.
Thanks for your input,i have actually been considering a carpet anemone and I have the space in my sandbed,so im realy going to start more resesrch on them!

Unread 09/12/2017, 04:02 PM   #7
bcb577
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humphreyhh View Post
I assume that you want clownfish and a host anemone correct? Then mini carpet and rock flower anemone won't work. There are people having btas in smaller tanks like yours without a problem. It all depends on your tank maintaining habit. But it's very possible that your bta wil out grow your tank some day and your tank will be filled up with just tentacles... I agree with above, get a 20 gallon+ , it will work perfectly fine with a bta and clownfish in there.

Thanks for your input, last thing I want is one animal overtaking my tank plus I dont think the anemone would appreciate it much either,im probably going to go with a carpet anemone, as im not too concerned about hosting the clown,so tonight im starting my research.Thanks again!

Unread 09/12/2017, 04:16 PM   #8
garygb
Registered Member

Yes, the maxi-mini carpet would be a good choice. And you could keep a flower anemone in that size along with the maxi-mini. Those two species seem to coexist fine, though they don't like to actually touch one another. They wouldn't "take over" your tank and would do fine assuming you keep your water parameters in check and provide good quality, reef lighting.

garygb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2017, 07:51 PM   #9
humphreyhh
Registered Member

Sorry for my false assumption. Ok so then yes I would suggest rock flower and mini carpet anemones. They are great anemones and looking awesome.

One thing for mini/maxi carpet. There are some people reported that mini carpet ate their clownfish. They are very sticky and stringy. Rock flower anemone will be safer to the fish based on those reports. Just a little note to that.

Unread 09/12/2017, 08:36 PM   #10
bcb577
Registered Member

Quote:
Sorry for my false assumption. Ok so then yes I would suggest rock flower and mini carpet anemones. They are great anemones and looking awesome.

One thing for mini/maxi carpet. There are some people reported that mini carpet ate their clownfish. They are very sticky and stringy. Rock flower anemone will be safer to the fish based on those reports. Just a little note to that.

oh man I hope he doesn't. Eat my clownfish scitzo! Iv had him for two years and would be upset if something ate him,lol

Unread 09/12/2017, 08:38 PM   #11
humphreyhh
Registered Member

Mostly you are going to be fine. Just keep an eye on their interaction.

Unread 09/12/2017, 08:42 PM   #12
bcb577
Registered Member

Quote:
Mostly you are going to be fine. Just keep an eye on their interaction.

ok ill keep an eye on things,i really appreciate all the info your providin me with,its very helpful so thanks again!

Unread 09/12/2017, 08:45 PM   #13
bcb577
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garygb View Post
Yes, the maxi-mini carpet would be a good choice. And you could keep a flower anemone in that size along with the maxi-mini. Those two species seem to coexist fine, though they don't like to actually touch one another. They wouldn't "take over" your tank and would do fine assuming you keep your water parameters in check and provide good quality, reef lighting.
thanks thats very helpful, knowing I could keep one of each in the same tank especially since it took hours to make up my mind of wich one to get.......now to try to hit my wife up for the other nem,lmbo.

Unread 09/13/2017, 02:09 PM   #14
bcb577
Registered Member

Quote:

Hi,i have another question for you if you dont mind?when I introduce the anemone should I shut down all of the flow in the tank until its anchored?

Unread 09/14/2017, 11:14 AM   #15
humphreyhh
Registered Member

I know you probably have the anemone in your tank already but yes I would suggest that but maxi mini are hardy they will stay put quickly. I didn't stop flow for my carpet, Btas, they did fine.

Unread 09/14/2017, 06:37 PM   #16
bcb577
Registered Member

Quote:
I know you probably have the anemone in your tank already but yes I would suggest that but maxi mini are hardy they will stay put quickly. I didn't stop flow for my carpet, Btas, they did fine.

Hi,thanks for getying back,i took caution and turned off the flow until it got settled and everything worked out good,its doinf fine so far!

Unread 09/21/2017, 10:42 PM   #17
bcb577
Registered Member

about 10days for new anemone

Hi all,just an update on my mini carpet anemone. Ive had loyd for about ten days now and hes doing awsome! How often should I feed him? So far I feed him a small peice if raw shrimp every two days,please let me know your thoughs or concern on my feeding schedule for him,but its looking great gepreen,red,some blue accents, id post a pic but for some reason when I try to send it says im offline which im obviously not,lol ill keep trying!

Unread 09/22/2017, 11:23 AM   #18
humphreyhh
Registered Member

Hi. What you are feeding it is more than enough. Can't wait to see your pictures!

Unread 09/27/2017, 05:26 PM   #19
Djones22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcb577 View Post
I have started the process of researching anemones. I know they arent easy to keep and that they can be very sensative to tank parameters,they can roam and sting other corals,get caught in powerheads,amongst other issues. But I got the fever to own one if possible in my tank?one issue I can see is lighting in the coralife biocube.i like the bta and am researching others.What kind would the forum suggest if any? is it even a reality? my main concern is the health of the animal and that its happy in its enviorment,are there other options? I am planning to add the extra led strip to the lighting.Any thoughts,concerns, ideas are all welcome!
Smik has a 14g biocube and has 3 red bubble tipped anemones as the original split 2X he also has numerous corals and some fish. If you know yow to do it, have proper lighting he has a kessil and water parameters are constant and you have no predators in tank then you should be fine just be sure to supplement food for it if it doesn't host clownish right away. Also once it finds its spot in the tank it should stay there unless disturbed or stressed.

Djones22 is offline   Reply With Quote