Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/16/2018, 10:12 PM   #1
Jedthefish420
Registered Member

help with blue LTA

so here's the low down:

i recently upgraded my tank from a 60 gallon to a 100 gallon. i used my live rock from my 60 gallon (~40-50lbs), 80% of the water, and the 60 gal was running for about 3-4years before the upgrade. i also transferred over 1 clown fish, some snails, hermit crabs, and miscellaneous corals. Before adding any new fish i let the 100gallon cycle for about 1 week. I added a snowflake clown (2 days later it died) and a Blue LTA the same day. The LTA seemed to be doing well for the first day. it opened up the second day, which when I fed it mysis shrimp. The 3rd day, i added purple up (i read somewhere that it would help with beneficial algae). NOW, my LTA is deflated and now on its side, but still has its color.

current tank parameters:

temp:77
Specific Gravity: 1.023-1.025
ammonia: 0
nitrite:0
nitrate:0
phosphate:0
dkh:9
CA:400

Here's what my Blue LTA now looks like:

[IMG][/IMG]

Jedthefish420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2018, 10:50 PM   #2
top shelf
Registered Member

Purple up is basically snake oil. If you want corraline algae take a piece of LR and scrape it in front of a power head. Purple up is pretty much just a calcium supplement with a few other things added to it and marketed to help boost corraline which any calcium supplement will do with a lower price tag. It doesn't contain any actual algae in it. It may not have liked whatever else was in with it though or it could be coincidence if it was just added. What kind of lighting do you have? What flow is it in? By the looks of it your tank is bare bottom, lta like a sand bed that they can burry there foot in. That is likely the reason that it is all closed up and unhappy. If you want success with the anemone your going to need to add a few inches of sand.

Current tank info: 45g SCA Cube
top shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2018, 11:20 PM   #3
Jedthefish420
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by top shelf View Post
Purple up is basically snake oil. If you want corraline algae take a piece of LR and scrape it in front of a power head. Purple up is pretty much just a calcium supplement with a few other things added to it and marketed to help boost corraline which any calcium supplement will do with a lower price tag. It doesn't contain any actual algae in it. It may not have liked whatever else was in with it though or it could be coincidence if it was just added. What kind of lighting do you have? What flow is it in? By the looks of it your tank is bare bottom, lta like a sand bed that they can burry there foot in. That is likely the reason that it is all closed up and unhappy. If you want success with the anemone your going to need to add a few inches of sand.
I am running a 48-60” current orbit marine LED. I have hydor 1500gph power head. Yea I don’t have any sand in my tank. I feel that it’s harder to keep clean and maintain. I have read that placing the anemone in a bowl with sand in it also works. Any experiences with that?

Jedthefish420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2018, 05:30 AM   #4
top shelf
Registered Member

That light is good for fish only and maybe some soft corals in a really shallow tank. People have struggled to keep even BTA healthy under it.

Your power head is a little under powered. If that is your only means of flow your at about 15x turn over which is pretty low as well.

A bowl of sand can work but is more of a challenge, usually a nem will pick a place where it is happy with perfect flow and light. Now all that is on you and if you don't get it right it will only decline.

Unread 05/17/2018, 05:54 AM   #5
Dean Ladd
Registered Member

As previously stated LTAs need at least 2" to 4" of sand to place their foot in. A bowl of sand will probably not work. If the LTA is not happy with the location you put the sand bowl it will move and LTAs are notorious wonders.

Current Tank Info: 135 gal reef (retired 04/2018 after 18 years) Upgrade to 215 gal DT mostly soft and lps
Dean Ladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2018, 06:05 AM   #6
Dean Ladd
Registered Member

Covered some important tips for LTA placement in a system at the thread link below. Still no guarantee it will stay put.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...83&postcount=1

Current Tank Info: 135 gal reef (retired 04/2018 after 18 years) Upgrade to 215 gal DT mostly soft and lps
Dean Ladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2018, 10:16 AM   #7
MarinaP
Registered Member

Foot got damaged during transfer. Pull it out, it will disintegrate shortly.

Unread 05/17/2018, 07:11 PM   #8
pfan151
Registered Member

Yep, time to flush this one. Do more research, and get better lighting before trying any anemone again.

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2018, 07:50 PM   #9
davocean
Registered Member

Yep, foot looks terrible, and LTA really needs a sand bed

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2018, 03:20 PM   #10
Swayze27
Registered Member

Where's the red foot?

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon w/ 55 gallon sump
Swayze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2018, 10:48 PM   #11
idan555
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by top shelf View Post
That light is good for fish only and maybe some soft corals in a really shallow tank. People have struggled to keep even BTA healthy under it.

Your power head is a little under powered. If that is your only means of flow your at about 15x turn over which is pretty low as well.

A bowl of sand can work but is more of a challenge, usually a nem will pick a place where it is happy with perfect flow and light. Now all that is on you and if you don't get it right it will only decline.
+1.
I have this light till about month ago, I lost all my corals (1000$+) for this stupid light, it's junk. my water number was great, but this light give 0.5W per led not enough for corals growth.
I put it in the trash, and got 2 Ocean Revive over my 60gal tank.

idan555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2018, 08:12 PM   #12
top shelf
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by idan555 View Post
+1.
I have this light till about month ago, I lost all my corals (1000$+) for this stupid light, it's junk. my water number was great, but this light give 0.5W per led not enough for corals growth.
I put it in the trash, and got 2 Ocean Revive over my 60gal tank.
An unfortunate and costly mistake, good to hear you decided to upgrade. I get why people buy these lights though. They offer many capabilities of higher end lights in a "affordable" package. The problem is the way they market them and the fact the one place they lack happens to be the most important and thats how much power they actually have. See so many purchase this light then ask what's wrong or end up spending more then they would have originally if they got the right light.