Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/04/2012, 04:05 PM   #1
olmsted66
Registered Member

650 gallon indoor shark pond

I haven't posted in a long time but I thought this might be a good time to start.
I have a shop in southern maine and I'm building an indoor display pond to showcase small reef sharks.

The plan so far:

650 gallon 8ft diameter by 2ft high blue stock tank supported on cinder blocks with 3/4" PT plywood between the two. Surrounding that will be a 10 course high block retaining style wall that surrounds 2/3 of the tank. The other 1/3 will be surrounded by a wood deck that hides the pipes and gives me access to the plumbing.
All of the filtration system will be on the other side of the wall in my climate controlled warehouse/quarantine/aquaculture space.

What im thinking so far for filtration is:
135 gallon aquarium with filter socks and baffles filled completely with live rock and macro algae. I'll probably use cheatomorpha. I will use the overflow holes in the tank to plumb the 1/2 hp return pump. I'll also use 1 sand filter and a large bio pellet reactor. Possibly a K1 media reactor. I also have a 6 cartridge 3ft tall lifeguard aquatics filter unit I may put on there. Im not sure yet what protein skimmer I'm going to use yet, any suggestions would be appreciated.

olmsted66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2012, 05:34 PM   #2
olmsted66
Registered Member

Any suggestions on ray species for the tank?
My stocking plan is going to be 3 sharks a ray or 2 and some tangs.
There's going to be around 15-20 mangroves along the back wall of the tank as well.

I'll be using 2, 10 gallon Rubbermaid containers with a siphon tube that makes a surge device. They will have alternating dump times.

Unread 09/04/2012, 05:47 PM   #3
Dragon moray ki
Registered Member

For sharks i recommend eppaulettes and coral cats for rays cortezes and for tanks blue an dyellows.

Current Tank Info: 600 gallon Green moray tank connected to 400 gallon shark pond. 90 gallon mixed reef
Dragon moray ki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2012, 06:33 PM   #4
olmsted66
Registered Member

I like the Cortez and those two sharks. I was thinking a shoal of 5 or so yellow tangs. A miniatus grouper, and a Naso tang. I was entertaining the idea of a Japanese wobbegong but they may be too large for my pond.

Unread 09/04/2012, 06:37 PM   #5
Meanmike
Moved On

Where in southern Maine?

Meanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2012, 07:16 PM   #6
olmsted66
Registered Member

It's in Gorham, Maine. October 1st is the projected grand opening. The company is primarily a design, installation, and maintenance operation. We will be carrying higher end items and operate as a boutique aquatic store. The shark pond is for my showroom, along with a 300 gallon arowana tank, 120 gallon in wall reef tank with a filtration room set up behind, 180 fowlr tank on intricately designed custom metal fabricated stand, 54 corner planted tank, and 150 bow front African cichlid tank. There will be several smaller tanks set up as well. We'll be selling pre mixed salt water and R.O.D.I in any size container you want to bring in, there will be 2.5gal and 5gal jugs available. We also have a large quarantine area where all the livestock will go for a minimum of 14 days. In the warehouse will be an aquaculture facility for corals and fish. Easy Aquariums is the name.

Unread 09/04/2012, 07:23 PM   #7
Meanmike
Moved On

I am really looking forward to checking it out Maine is in need of a real nice store

Unread 09/04/2012, 07:25 PM   #8
Meanmike
Moved On

What's the address?

Unread 09/04/2012, 07:54 PM   #9
olmsted66
Registered Member

17 Gorham Industrial Pkwy.
It's off route 25 between Westbrook and Gorham in the industrial park.

Unread 09/05/2012, 03:44 PM   #10
olmsted66
Registered Member

Any grouper suggestions? I'm leaning towards the miniatus, but other suggestions are welcome.

Tags
mangrove, pond, ray, reef., shark