Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/05/2017, 11:59 AM   #1
bbestvin
Registered Member

Double gaskets on bulkhead?

Was wondering if anyone has done this before and if there would be any downside to doing it. Was thinking of going to the hardware store and picking up a few extra gaskets/rubber washers for my bulkhead install. I painted the back of my aquarium and without a gasket on the outside (using the included gasket on the inside of the tank of course), I know that when tightening the nut that the paint will scrap up and flake off. I was thinking I could avoid this by simply adding another gasket on the outside...any opinions on this? Thanks in advance!

bbestvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2017, 12:24 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

You can certainly double up if you want but it may actually cause more problems than it solves....
A properly secured bulkhead only requires one..
The gasket normally goes between the bulkhead flange and the glass on the inside of a tank.. You should not need one on the nut side (outside) thus your paint will not be an issue.. If it leaks thats because the internal gasket has already been penetrated by water... No amount of paint on the outside will cause that failure..

The nut should always be on the "dry" side (outside)

Also.. remember.. Only hand tight plus 1/4-1/2 turn.. NO more..
Overtightening causes more failures

Unread 12/05/2017, 12:27 PM   #3
bbestvin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
You can certainly double up if you want but it may actually cause more problems than it solves....
A properly secured bulkhead only requires one..
The gasket normally goes between the bulkhead flange and the glass on the inside of a tank.. You should not need one on the nut side (outside) thus your paint will not be an issue..

The nut should always be on the "dry" side (outside)
So essentially it shouldn't cause any issues. I know that the bulkhead will function properly with one gasket on the inside, but in this instance, I'm just being OCD about keeping the paint nice...I think that tightening the nut straight onto the glass will scrap some of it up. I know I should care, but I can't help it, haha.

bbestvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2017, 01:25 PM   #4
VoltzNSalt
In Memoriam

What is preventing you from getting a small artists paint brush and carefully repainting around the bulkhead if some gets scraped off?

VoltzNSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2017, 01:55 PM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

The gasket on the nut side can interfere with proper tightening too..
If your paint was applied properly then there shouldn't be an issue.. Not to mention any paint removed by friction of the nut will be under the nut and not seen anyways..

and yes.. if needed touch it up after you put the bulkheads in place..

Unread 12/05/2017, 02:37 PM   #6
outy
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbestvin View Post
So essentially it shouldn't cause any issues..
Using two can cause issues. ONLY use 1.

The trick here is to make sure you remove the casting seem on the plastic bulkhead.

Had many leak before cleaning that up.

use a little vegetable oil if you don't want scratches. If your OCD sand the nut with some 400 wet n dry

outy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2017, 05:26 PM   #7
GimpyFin
Registered Member

You can also try these: http://www.coralvue.com/schedule-80-...d-slip-to-slip

They are excellent and use seated o-rings rather than flimsy washers. IMO/IME, quite a bit nicer than your standard bulkheads. The 1" ones also fit in the same size hole as the 1" Black sch40/abs ones.

Current Tank Info: 110 gallon
GimpyFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2017, 07:21 AM   #8
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Use a small dab of silicone grease (not silicone) on the outside under the nut and it will reduce friction between the nut and the paint.

Unread 12/06/2017, 07:35 AM   #9
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Reefman View Post
Use a small dab of silicone grease (not silicone) on the outside under the nut and it will reduce friction between the nut and the paint.
I personally would not recommend that as that can lead to overtightening and thus leaking..

Unread 12/06/2017, 08:42 AM   #10
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimpyFin View Post

They are excellent and use seated o-rings rather than flimsy washers. IMO/IME, quite a bit nicer than your standard bulkheads. The 1" ones also fit in the same size hole as the 1" Black sch40/abs ones.
+1 if you're OCD enough to want to use a 2nd washer, you should be OCD enough to buy a more expensive bulkhead that is of higher quality

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2017, 06:14 AM   #11
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
I personally would not recommend that as that can lead to overtightening and thus leaking..
I didn't ask you to do it, I was recommending it to the OP. Just kidding.

You can over tighten it with or without a lubricant. The lube just allows the bulkhead to not rip off the paint.

Unread 12/07/2017, 04:24 PM   #12
faterikcartman
Registered Member

Quote:

Thank you!

I’m going to give these a try.

faterikcartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2017, 05:32 PM   #13
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:

Hmmmmn, those look pretty nice. Don't recall seeing them before. Too bad as I'd have used them on my just completed build. Ah well, none of the standard one are leaking.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2017, 05:50 PM   #14
GimpyFin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Hmmmmn, those look pretty nice. Don't recall seeing them before. Too bad as I'd have used them on my just completed build. Ah well, none of the standard one are leaking.

Yeah, I just happened to stumble upon them a few years ago. I've used them on two different tanks now and they're pretty killer.

Current Tank Info: 110 gallon
GimpyFin is offline   Reply With Quote