Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/02/2012, 08:08 AM   #101
killab443
Registered Member

The most inconsistency I've found with drews dosers, is when there is air in the lines. Typically after I top off my ca and alk res. I normally will purge each pump to avoid this.

AGA 90RR. 20L Sump/fuge. Mag18 Return. 2x DIY CREE XPG/XPE - 32 LED Fixtures. GFO Reactor. Carbon Reactor. Pacific Coast 1/10 Chiller. 2x Koralia 3s,2x Koralia 4's. 150LBS LR. 50LBS LS. BRS 4 Stage RO/DI w/10G Storage. DIY ATO w/AquaLifter AW-20. Controlled by AquaController Jr w/ ACSerial2Web
killab443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2013, 09:14 AM   #102
Silba
Registered Member

Found this to be a very informative thread and I was about try and build my own 2 part dosing solution. Had a couple of questions before I bought parts.
Has anyone tried .8 mm tubing with the pumps ( 8 rpm, 115V). With a slower flow rate would it not be a better option for a more gradual addition of the two part. Thanks

Silba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2013, 06:45 PM   #103
dvdcox
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice just built a 2 pump model for around $150 works like a dream great and informative thread

dvdcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2014, 11:30 AM   #104
KazzAhmed
Registered Member

GreaT Diy ProjecT Just Finished Mine Yesterday Worked Like A Charm

KazzAhmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2014, 11:54 AM   #105
SAZ03
Registered Member

so how exactly do you change the delivery rate of DIY dosing pumps? Im interested in building one but cant find this info on how to control the rate? Sorry if it is a dump question.

SAZ03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2014, 07:46 PM   #106
Gorgok
Registered Member

Assuming its a DC pump, you can change the drive voltage to something lower to slow it down. Going higher than rated will speed it up too, but at the cost of motor life...

You can probably also change the tube size, assuming yo can get a different ID without changing the OD too much.

Gorgok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2014, 09:05 AM   #107
killab443
Registered Member

This isn't a dc pump so you can't limit voltage. You need to buy a motor that turns at a different rate, or change tubing size.

AGA 90RR. 20L Sump/fuge. Mag18 Return. 2x DIY CREE XPG/XPE - 32 LED Fixtures. GFO Reactor. Carbon Reactor. Pacific Coast 1/10 Chiller. 2x Koralia 3s,2x Koralia 4's. 150LBS LR. 50LBS LS. BRS 4 Stage RO/DI w/10G Storage. DIY ATO w/AquaLifter AW-20. Controlled by AquaController Jr w/ ACSerial2Web
killab443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2017, 09:52 AM   #108
BZOFIQ
Registered Member

I know this thread is old, but this seems like the DIY i'll be doing next.

Any feedback from users that have gone this route?
It's been between 3 to 7 years for some so there should be a lot of long term reliability feedback.

Please post. You'd be helping a lot of people who would really appreciate it.

BZOFIQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2017, 09:49 AM   #109
BZOFIQ
Registered Member

anybody?

Unread 10/12/2017, 10:47 AM   #110
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

you can buy a 4 pump jebao doser now way cheaper, more reliable and prettier than a diy.
so, imho, not worth the diy.

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2017, 08:04 PM   #111
BZOFIQ
Registered Member

I don't think I will buy another Jebao product, so no thanks.

Not really into temporary products these days.

Unread 10/16/2017, 11:42 PM   #112
laverda
Registered Member

The Jebeo doses do not last very long at all. Very unreliable in my experience. I would not buy another one.

Current Tank Info: 300g mixed reef, 50g cube
laverda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2017, 11:22 PM   #113
five.five-six
Registered Member

There’s about a gazillion 12V DC perastolic pumps on eBay now ranging from $10-30, I’m wondering if any of them are reliable enough to use as afeed pump for my calcium reactor.

"I hate that hole"

Current Tank Info: SCMAS Member 225 peninsula euroreef RS180 Apex 400W X 3 20k radiums / Spectra mixed SPS
five.five-six is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2017, 08:31 AM   #114
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

I used some cheap ones as a stopgap until I saw a good deal on a "real" peristaltic pump with the right specs. Brand name industrial pumps are incredibly reliable, rebuildabe, etc etc. and they come up used once in a while at great prices.

The ones I tried were roughly $10 I think, the same old 12v dc pumps you see everywhere. They lasted maybe 3 or 4 months. Since I went in to it expecting poor results it wasn't a big deal, but I woudn't want to rely on them longterm.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2017, 09:55 PM   #115
five.five-six
Registered Member

Right, 3-4 months is all I’d Expect from a $10 pump, I’m just wondering if for $30-50 I might find one that would last for years.

"I hate that hole"

Current Tank Info: SCMAS Member 225 peninsula euroreef RS180 Apex 400W X 3 20k radiums / Spectra mixed SPS
five.five-six is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2017, 10:51 AM   #116
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

I didn't see much difference except for price between the $10 pumps and the $30 ones.

I actually bought more of these than I needed and ran them essentially as closed loops until they failed because I was curious about the reliability and modes of failure. The tubing was a weak spot, which you could replace, and is a weak spot in any peristaltic pump, by design. But eventually, these cheap pumps started slipping, the roller cage is just a friction fit on the shaft and after a while the thing would get so worn out that the shaft would just spin in the cage. I haven't done similar experiments on $30-50 pumps, but in looking at them, they all also have pretty much the same roller cages in friction fit designs as the cheaper pumps.

Around the time the "Drews doser" style of pumps started getting a bad rap a few years ago, I went to a more robust, but still hobby-grade pump that was available new at the time for maybe $70 - 80. It had a gearbox, which ended up being the weak link. The gears would get worn and start to bind after maybe a year. You'd know when it started happening because the pump would make a terrible high pitched grinding squeal every time it ran, then eventually it would just lock up. I could take the gearbox apart and lubricate it, but once it reached that point it would fail again after maybe 2 or 3 months.

The "real" pump I bought for my current tank was probably $300 or $400 new, I paid $75 for it on eBay. It looks brand new. If you search carefully and are patient, there are good enough deals on higher end pumps that I wouldn't bother with the cheap ones.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
doser, dosing pump, drew's, drews dosing