Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/04/2014, 05:07 PM   #101
Reduck
Because I can....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinrf View Post
awesome. Found a few in the classifieds. What BRS gfo are you using?
Just the regular stuff. I think when I run out I'll try the hc version.

Current Tank Info: CADlights SAIO 75G, control, dosing and feeding by Apex, lights and pumps by Ecotech, ATO by Tunze, Skimmer by Bubble Magus, Reactor by Innovative Marine
Reduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2014, 11:13 AM   #102
snowflake_clown
Registered Member

This is my first aquarium, so it's still a learning process for me.

MarcoRocks Key Largo Dry Rock (50lbs)
Tropic Eden Reefflakes Aragonite Sand
Tropic Eden Miniflakes
Nutri-Seawater (40 Gallons)
1 Liter of SeaChem Matrix in right media reactor column. (right of the center column)

Innovative Marine Fusion 40 Tank and Stand
Innovative Marine HydroFill ATO Pump System
Innovative Marine HydroFill ATO Controller System
Innovative Marine Ghost Protein Skimmer - Midsize
EcoTech Marine VorTech MP10ES
Kessil A360WE w/ Kessil Spectral Controller and Kessil Gooseneck Adaptor
JBJ True Temp Digital Controller w/ Heater - 150W (mounted horizontally along bottom of sump next to return pump)
(2) Innovative Marine Custom Caddy Media Basket's

In the media baskets I'll put the following in once the tank has cycled:
Top Chamber - Mechanical Sponge's
Middle Chamber - Left 100mL Phosgaurd - Right 100mL Matrix Carbon
Bottom Chamber - 100mL of Purigen in each

My tank is currently on day 21 of it's cycle. I used Dr. Tim's Ammonium Chloride solution to dose the tank up to 2ppm ammonia on day 1 and used Seachem's recommended dosage of Stability during the first week. Nitrites appeared on day 9, and ammonia fell back to 0.5ppm on day 13, so I dosed back up to 2ppm. Nitrates appeared on day 14. Current parameters are:
pH - 8
Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrite - 5ppm
Nitrate - 40ppm

Once the nitrites are back down to 0ppm, I'll do a 30% water change and be ready to add fish. First fish going in will be a pair of ORA snowflake clowns. Undecided on other fish. I'll have a skunk cleaner shrimp and a few astrea snails in once I have a need for them. As of now, no algae, so no need for any sort of cleaner crew.

I've ordered my corals from a company called Tidal Gardens. If you guys haven't heard of them, check them out. He's got a YouTube channel that produces some of the highest quality informative/tutorial videos I've ever seen. He's holding my corals until the tank is ready for them, but here's what I've purchased so far:
Red Sea Pulsing Xenia
Fireball Acanthastrea
(2) Teal Pinwheel Candy Cane
Eagle Eye Zoanthid
Green Star Polyps
SPS - Pink Bird's Nest
SPS - Blue Montipora Digitata
Orange Ricordea Florida Mushroom
Two Faced Torch Colony (super excited about this one - check out his twitter feed for a pic of it)

This was my first time aquascaping, but I have to admit I'm pretty happy with what I ended up with! Here are the pics!

photo 2014-11-04_8845_zpsba627ad8.jpg

photo 2014-11-04_8858_zpse18837e8.jpg

photo 2014-11-04_8872_zpsb45fed0e.jpg

photo 2014-11-04_8852_zpsd0a4fec5.jpg

photo 2014-11-04_8880_zps0200929e.jpg

snowflake_clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2014, 04:22 PM   #103
snowflake_clown
Registered Member

I typed up a whole reply on this thread today with my tank and embedded pics hosted on photo bucket and it doesn't appear to be showing up. I'm new to the site and would love to participate. Can anyone suggest what I may be doing wrong? It does show up when I log in, however, it does not appear in this thread when I log out.

Last edited by snowflake_clown; 11/05/2014 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Adding additional info
Unread 11/05/2014, 04:42 PM   #104
Reduck
Because I can....

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowflake_clown View Post
I typed up a whole reply on this thread today with my tank and embedded pics hosted on photo bucket and it doesn't appear to be showing up. I'm new to the site and would love to participate. Can anyone suggest what I may be doing wrong? It does show up when I log in, however, it does not appear in this thread when I log out.
Weird! No idea!

Current Tank Info: CADlights SAIO 75G, control, dosing and feeding by Apex, lights and pumps by Ecotech, ATO by Tunze, Skimmer by Bubble Magus, Reactor by Innovative Marine
Unread 11/05/2014, 05:52 PM   #105
snowflake_clown
Registered Member

First Tank

Tropic Eden Miniflakes
1 Liter of SeaChem Matrix in right media reactor column. (right of the center column)

JBJ True Temp Digital Controller w/ Heater - 150W (mounted horizontally along bottom of sump next to return pump)

My tank is currently on day 21 of it's cycle. I used Dr. Tim's Ammonium Chloride solution to dose the tank up to 2ppm ammonia on day 1 and used Seachem's recommended dosage of Stability during the first week. Nitrites appeared on day 9, and ammonia fell back to 0.5ppm on day 13, so I dosed back up to 2ppm. Nitrates appeared on day 14. Current parameters are:
pH - 8
Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrite - 1ppm
Nitrate - 40ppm

Once the nitrites are back down to 0ppm in a few days, I'll do a 30% water change and be ready to add fish. First fish going in will be a pair of ORA snowflake clowns. Undecided on other fish. I'll have a skunk cleaner shrimp and a few astrea snails in once I have a need for them.

I've ordered my corals from a company called Tidal Gardens. If you guys haven't heard of them, check them out. He's got a YouTube channel that produces some of the highest quality informative/tutorial videos I've ever seen. He's holding my corals until the tank is ready for them, but here's what I've purchased so far:
Red Sea Pulsing Xenia
Fireball Acanthastrea
Eagle Eye Zoanthid
Green Star Polyps
SPS - Pink Bird's Nest
Two Faced Torch Colony (super excited about this one - check out his twitter feed for a pic of it)

This was my first time aquascaping, but I have to admit I'm pretty happy with what I ended up with! Here are the pics!

Unread 11/05/2014, 06:00 PM   #106
snowflake_clown
Registered Member

Tropic Eden Miniflakes

pH - 8
Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrite - 1ppm
Nitrate - 40ppm

Once the nitrites are back down to 0ppm in a few days, I'll do a 30% water change and be ready to add fish. First fish going in will be a pair of ORA snowflake clowns. Undecided on other fish. I'll have a skunk cleaner shrimp and a few astrea snails in once I have a need for them.

Red Sea Pulsing Xenia
Fireball Acanthastrea
Eagle Eye Zoanthid
Green Star Polyps
SPS - Pink Bird's Nest

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-11-04_8845.jpg (89.4 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-11-04_8858.jpg (92.5 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-11-04_8872.jpg (82.3 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-11-04_8852.jpg (89.1 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-11-04_8877.jpg (72.5 KB, 96 views)
Unread 11/18/2014, 02:44 PM   #107
Chase1987
Registered Member

Just got my IM40 to the house a few days ago. Didn't go with the IM stand because I saw one in fish store I got my tank from and a little bit of water got on 2nd shelf. Stand was only a couple of months old but shelf was twice the size that it should've been because of water damage. Went to the local "WOODYOU" close to my house and got a SOLID wood table for less then have the price of the IM stand. Starting to fill up tomorrow and will post pics as soon as the sand settles.

Chase1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2014, 07:32 PM   #108
kevinrf
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase1987 View Post
Just got my IM40 to the house a few days ago. Didn't go with the IM stand because I saw one in fish store I got my tank from and a little bit of water got on 2nd shelf. Stand was only a couple of months old but shelf was twice the size that it should've been because of water damage. Went to the local "WOODYOU" close to my house and got a SOLID wood table for less then have the price of the IM stand. Starting to fill up tomorrow and will post pics as soon as the sand settles.
nice!!!!

I've been busy, so I haven't had time to mess with my tank much.
My pistol shrimp ended up dying for some reason.(wife thinks he's just hiding)

I JUST purchased the tunze 9004 skimmer from a member on here.
I'm sick of the micro-bubbles from the IM ghost midsize skimmer. I was in contact with Brian from IM, but I don't have time to talk and go through everything. He suggested a few things but nothing worked.

kevinrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2014, 08:19 AM   #109
Reduck
Because I can....

Wow. I've been away for a while. We have a sick beagle and he's been occupying most of my time. Tank has been stable, except for a Dino outbreak. Running a course of Algaefix, carbon, gfo, etc. skimming wet and lights out for 4 days. Also had a spike in nitrates. It should all be under control today or tomorrow after a big water change.
Nothing new as far as occupants. I need to get out and get a few new critters. Thinking a diamond watchman goby and a b&w OC.
We will see..
Happy Thanksgiving to all if I'm not on next week!

Unread 11/24/2014, 09:04 AM   #110
Reduck
Because I can....

So much for no tank time. Added a nice big saddleback clown yesterday. He's fitting in and behaving with my OC. Also my tunze ato died. Woke up to low sump sounds...boooo!
On my third dose of Algaefix marine today.Seeing some signs of reduction in Dino. No adverse effects on the livestock. Time will tell....

Unread 11/24/2014, 07:56 PM   #111
kevinrf
Registered Member

got myself a tunze 9004 from the classifieds. I like it! i'll see tomorrow how well it's skimming

kevinrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2014, 10:33 PM   #112
crpeck
Premium Member

How's that layout working for you, Mr2KKiEu?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr2KiEu View Post
1 Tunze skimmer
2 empty for now
3 stock return pump & 150w Jager
4 Fuge with macro algae
5 Basket with purigen and chemipure elite

may move things around later tho.
I'm about to set up my Fusion 40 and want to use the Tunze, but also got the 2nd media caddy and a light to set up fuge. Now am seeing that Tunze only fits in 1 or 5 so I'm going to have to choose between using the Tunze or having a fuge if I want a working media basket. UNLESS ... it works to put the fuge in 2 or 4? You are the only one I've seen set up that way. Is it working? How does space compare to the outer chambers? Are you lighting it from the top or sides?

Debating if I need to swap out the Tunze 9004 for the Ghost. Sure like the way Ghost fits, but Tunzes are tried and true for me. Any other Ghost users happy? Not happy?

Input appreciated! THANKS!

Current Tank Info: IM Fusion 40/AI Hydra 26
crpeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2014, 11:42 AM   #113
Reduck
Because I can....

Not too thrilled with the ghost. It does function, but I think I need more power.
Those running a fuge in your chambers beware and keep a watch on it. Mine basically died off for unknown reasons and spawned a huge mass of brown algea in the adjoining chamber that I use for the reactor. It was quite gross to clean out.
On a good note, I finally got my Radion. Reefkoi makes a nice aluminum frame to mount on our tank. I'll post pics of it after my water change tomorrow.

Unread 12/06/2014, 12:00 PM   #114
crpeck
Premium Member

Good to know Reduck, Thanks. Which chamber were you running the fuge in?

I thought I was setting up my IM 40 this weekend, but the Marine Depot elves must have been sipping too much eggnog and sent me 2 aquariums rather than 1 tank and 1 stand. So I have a little more time to figure things out.

I have a Hydra 26 for lighting and am transferring everything from my 24 gallon to the Fusion 40. Loving this thread to see what others are doing with these set ups. Getting some great ideas! Thanks!

Unread 12/06/2014, 01:09 PM   #115
PaleHorse
Moved On

Why didn't you guys get the pls 50 elite skimmer?

PaleHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2014, 01:24 PM   #116
crpeck
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleHorse View Post
Why didn't you guys get the pls 50 elite skimmer?
I wasn't familiar with that one - thanks for the tip! Will check it out. I have a Tunze in hand, but haven't opened it and can still return.

Unread 12/06/2014, 03:26 PM   #117
Reduck
Because I can....

Quote:
Originally Posted by crpeck View Post
Good to know Reduck, Thanks. Which chamber were you running the fuge in?
#1 or left outer from the front. It's since been filled with cermedia bioballs.

Unread 12/13/2014, 07:02 AM   #118
Reduck
Because I can....

Radion rocking the tank...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (70.6 KB, 314 views)

Unread 12/14/2014, 07:56 AM   #119
Reduck
Because I can....

Ok, maybe a better question for elsewhere but what are you all using for a sand vacuum? Was doing some cleaning of the sand bed to remove cyano yesterday using an old Python. Anything better out there these days?

Unread 12/16/2014, 11:30 AM   #120
Chase1987
Registered Member

Does anyone have any experience running two media baskets in this tank? I ordered one and put it in the tank yesterday then decided to order a 2nd one. I do have a tunze protein skimmer that I will probably install sometime next week. The 2nd media basket should be here at the end of this week and was just wondering if that could be too much filtration. Everything in the tank seems to be doing well but with the stock baskets tank was a little cloudy. Not to sure if it is micro bubbles because i don't have a ATO system and the evaporation is crazy so I have to keep adding water. Or if it is just kinda murky from the cycle. Any input would help greatly! Love this IM40

Unread 12/16/2014, 11:39 AM   #121
Reduck
Because I can....

I've always run 2 baskets, 1 intank and 1 IM custom. Floss on top. Misc stuff in the lowers. I took the stock sponges out on startup and have been using floss since...

Quote:
Does anyone have any experience running two media baskets in this tank? I ordered one and put it in the tank yesterday then decided to order a 2nd one. I do have a tunze protein skimmer that I will probably install sometime next week. The 2nd media basket should be here at the end of this week and was just wondering if that could be too much filtration. Everything in the tank seems to be doing well but with the stock baskets tank was a little cloudy. Not to sure if it is micro bubbles because i don't have a ATO system and the evaporation is crazy so I have to keep adding water. Or if it is just kinda murky from the cycle. Any input would help greatly! Love this IM40

Unread 12/16/2014, 11:47 AM   #122
Chase1987
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reduck View Post
I've always run 2 baskets, 1 intank and 1 IM custom. Floss on top. Misc stuff in the lowers. I took the stock sponges out on startup and have been using floss since...
Ok the only thing that scared me is from what I am reading if I the two Intank baskets on the outside chambers is my tunze 9004 going to fit? MMM I hope so. Not at home to try it out so ill have to wait until I get home. In my baskets I have filter/purigen/chemi pure elte. Hope it does the trick.

Unread 12/16/2014, 11:50 AM   #123
Reduck
Because I can....

should fit in #2 or #4 with no issues..I have the ghost in 4 and reactor in 2...perfect fit..

Quote:
Ok the only thing that scared me is from what I am reading if I the two Intank baskets on the outside chambers is my tunze 9004 going to fit? MMM I hope so. Not at home to try it out so ill have to wait until I get home. In my baskets I have filter/purigen/chemi pure elte. Hope it does the trick.

Unread 12/16/2014, 02:10 PM   #124
vlapinta
Registered Member

I have a couple of questions for a newbie fusion 40 owner. Which chamber should I put my ghost skimmer? I don't have an ATO so which chamber keeps the water level more constant? Is it important to run 2 sets of filtration ( floss, chemipure ect) or can I put my skimmer in the first chamber and only run one set of media? Any help is appreciated.

vlapinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2014, 02:17 PM   #125
Reduck
Because I can....

2 or 4 are the most consistent levels. I would still invest in an ato. it makes your life a little easier..and keeps your water level consistent.
some people prefer to not use the baskets at all and rely on natural filtration, ie;live rock etc.
its a personal preference really. if you have 40lbs of good cycled LR and little bioload, you might be ok without.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlapinta View Post
I have a couple of questions for a newbie fusion 40 owner. Which chamber should I put my ghost skimmer? I don't have an ATO so which chamber keeps the water level more constant? Is it important to run 2 sets of filtration ( floss, chemipure ect) or can I put my skimmer in the first chamber and only run one set of media? Any help is appreciated.