Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/22/2019, 02:45 PM   #1
PCguy21
Registered Member.

Brook.. ??

So someof you may know ive been doing hypo now for 3 weeks for ich actually little over 3 now almost 4. I havent seen a single sign of ich in a long time. All my fish are alive minus a few that died from hypo itself mainly a fairy wrasse and 4 anthiad and a butterfly fish i didnt know these fish were unable to handls hypo.

I got a Kole tang the other day and hes in hypo now.. and i noticed he was developing what looked like ich... but then i thought maybe its velvet.. but the spots werent really raised.. they looked like flat grey spots.. it was weird.. ive seen a kole tang in my tank do this before.

Thinking i have velvet ( if i did all my tangs and fidh should hsve csught it by now) i decided to try cupramine one last time.. i havent had good experiences with it.. but all my pods and life on my rocks are dead from the last cupramine dose lol and i have 120 lbs of rick now in the tank so my beneficial b is pretty high now.. So i dont think ill have ammonia issues again.

Anyway copper is at .25 to .3 and im keeping it at this now high since im using hypo.. and copper is more effective at fresh water thrn sslt so the dose should be able to be lower.

Anyway.. kole tang is still alive and the spots seem to have dissapeard.. it was weird.. this morning i saw maybe 50 spots.. then as i was watching him.. they were dissapearing before my eyes... i counted only 5 left then had to go to work.

I got home just now and the kole tang is covered in slime.. its stringy.. looks like its peeling off him.. almost like his skin is peeling off.. but its deff slime coat i believe. And his body looks like it has lighter color patchs in some spots. He doesnt seem to be breathing heavily.. but i can see the slime coat waving in his gills and mouth when he breaths.

Ive NEVER seen this before except on discus when thry get sick they make some insaine slime coats that almost choke themselves.

Is this the copper doing this ? Or do you guys think it could be brook instead of velvet.. Like i said i have 3 other tangs. Fox face. And 4 other fish i know are able to catch ich and velvet easily.. and none of them have gotten sick in almkst 4 weeks during hypo.. So im doubting i have velvet. In fact this run around all of my fish are eating in cupramine and hypo combined.. and none are showing slime coat issues... just this guy

Anyway.. will copper handle brook if this is brook ? Or do i need to do something else. I Feel really bad.. im not sure what to do with him.. leave him alone ? Or take him out and tty something else with him in my smaller tank...

PCguy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2019, 03:15 PM   #2
PCguy21
Registered Member.

Also can i use malachite green in conjunction with cupramine ? I dont have formalin or rid ich with formalin all i have is malachite green.. If this is brook.

Unread 04/22/2019, 06:42 PM   #3
ThRoewer
Registered Member

After 4 weeks in QT and goin by your assessment that you may have ammonia issues in the tank I would think those are more likely ammonia burns than a Brooklynella infection.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2019, 11:48 AM   #4
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

I would never use hypo and copper together.....

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2019, 04:24 PM   #5
PCguy21
Registered Member.

Deff no ammonia. Tank was reading 0 before the cupramineand his spots started before . And i smell nothing in the tank. I cant measure it.. but the badge shows 0 even those badges are 100% unreliable.

Its still alive.. swiming around like a mad man... the slime coat isnt as heavy today but it looks like his skin is actually peeling off.. its very weird.. no one else has this issue but him.. So i dunno if he had something from petco prior or what.

Hes the only one with issues. look at my other fish.

Hes brand new though fyi i just got this kole tang 3 days ago. After day 1 he started breaking out in hundreds of white dots.. hense why i suspect maybe its velvet.. so i added copper.. but day 2 or day 1 of copper is when he started having heavy slime coat.

Now day 2 of copper a d 3 in my tank his skin is pealing off in spots.

Copper is only .25 as well.. salinity is 1.010 right now. None of my otjer fish are effected by what he has.. or whats happeneing to him.. so i dunno what to do.

I can stop the copper.. or i could take him out and put him in anotjer tank but i dunno. This is a strange case to me.

See all my bigger fish are fine..

And here he is its hard to get a clear pic of him.. but notice the sligjt discoloration in spots of his body..and pic two you see thr lower left part of him ? Is peeling off.. and his upper fin on his spine is peeling too.

Unread 04/23/2019, 06:31 PM   #6
PCguy21
Registered Member.

Anotjer pic

Unread 04/23/2019, 11:59 PM   #7
bshow24
Registered Member

From my experience, could be velvet. I had a mimic tang do the same. Put him into a quarantine with cupramine and 2 weeks later he's looking good as new. I've never seen what you describe as it falling off in front of you, I'm purely going off of looks.

A word of advice, remember to continually test your copper readings. When you use copper inside your DT with rocks and sand, some of it is going to be absorbed. In addition, this is just for future, you're going to want to run some sort of carbon/CupriSorb in your tank once treatment is done and continually test it/be patient with adding inverts or corals in the future!

Equipment: 2x Radion XR15 Pro, Radion XR30 Pro, Vectra M1 Return, 2x MP40 Powerhead
bshow24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2019, 10:37 AM   #8
PCguy21
Registered Member.

Been 3 days in copper ive tested maybe 7 times trust me lol. Yea im dosing it in my 135 which ive been using as my qt while my corals chill in my 20g they have been fallow for 30 days now. Ive used copper before in a 30g tank a week of cuprisorb and carbon and the corals were fine. So im not too worried about absorbtion and leaching the fish are more importsnt to me at this point

I had to add 5ml more of it to bump it back up as it did drop from .3 to .2 but its back at .3 and staying steady.

As for the tang. Hes looking better the slime coat mess is gone. The spots are almost all gone. His skin though still looks weird. Looks like raised patchs of skin. Hes still swiming around really good too no lethargy or heavy breathing from what i can tell.. he still hides under the rocks but i do see him come out every now and then and eat the diatoms i have on my rocks

In fact it looks just like this pic i found online. Mine doesnt look as bad.. but the part i circled is what mine has in some spots.. what is that ?? The guys who had this tang.. the tang died later for him and those patchs were its skin that eventually fell off. Just seems a little weird to me..

Last edited by PCguy21; 04/24/2019 at 10:43 AM.
Unread 04/24/2019, 07:44 PM   #9
PCguy21
Registered Member.

Little update.

Hes eating the algae on my rocks.. swiming around my tank now.. no signs of ich or velvet.. And his skin is looking alot better.. still looks bad on the upper part but healing.

Oddly my yellow tang has ich now.. had it for the last 2 days.. i think whatever this kole tang had from petco not my tank

Hopefully he keeps gaining strength and heals up .

Unread 04/26/2019, 03:07 PM   #10
PCguy21
Registered Member.

Day 5 in copper.. still looking better. Skin still looks funky but its healing more i think. And hes eating algae on my rocks still and pooping.. so i think i managed to save him :-)