Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/16/2017, 12:25 PM   #1
boobookitty
Registered Member

Vodka and zeovit?

I ran zeovit very successfully on my old 240G for 7 years, with undetectable nitrates and phosphates. When I set up my 400G 2 years ago I set it up with zeovit, but the results haven’t been there this time. Over the last year and a half since starting to add livestock, nitrates have risen to about 10 and phosphates to 1.3. Corals are colorful and I don’t have any algae issues, but growth is slowed, and I want to lower them. Mostly concerned about the phosphates.

I can provide details re: my zeovit dosing, but I dose zeolites, zeofood and zeostart by the book and still have this issue. Bioload in this tank is heavier than in the old one, but not outrageous. I had a thread on possible remedies a few months back, including discussions on sources, what good I use, etc., but nothing concrete emerged.

So, is it possible to run vodka dosing long term in conjunction with zeovit? I already know zeo is a form of carbon dosing (been using it for 15 years), but vodka may help lower nitrate and phosphate to acceptable levels. Even if it’s not recommended, is there evidence that it can actually cause problems?

And if long term isn’t viable, is it possible to vodka dose while using zeovit short term? I don’t want to completely dump zeo, but vodka seems to get definitive results.

All the other solutions for phosphates are a hassle: lanthanum chloride, GFO reactors etc. and they don’t address nitrates. I’ll go down those roads if this is untenable, but only if I have to...

Check out my little red house above for pics

Current Tank Info: 400G custom Titan tank, 8 x Radion xr30w pro, zeovit, Reef Octopus SRO6000 skimmer, Ecotech MP60, 3 x Neptune Wav
boobookitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2017, 12:50 PM   #2
Cheapreef
Registered Member

I don't run a Zeo tank but a buddy of mine has a full Zeovit system fir the last 4 years. He doses Nopox 2x a week with great results. I believe it's only about 1/4 the recommended dose for his tank or he was getting some slime build up, as you do if you over dose carbon.

Cheapreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2019, 08:23 AM   #3
Jadran
Registered Member

hello there,

did some forum search and stumbled upon that old topic. So have you done it? I mean ZEOvit and vodka together?

I came to same idea,, had a Zeovit tank back in the day when system was new and much criticized, same as vodka. Tank was more or less a success, but back than we did it all by the book.. Nowadays Im thinking about setting up an system with KZ zeolites in reactor with dosing KZs ZEObak as bacterial source, but instead of ZEOfood and ZEOstart and other just to feed it with simplier food source like vodka.

Any experiences there?

thx.

Current Tank Info: 120g anemone tank
Jadran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2019, 08:34 PM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Simple/cheap/easily accessible carbon sources like vinegar/ vodka have been proven over and over again to increase bacterial counts...

Reef specific similar products have NOT been proven to be anymore beneficial

Unread 12/05/2019, 03:10 AM   #5
Jadran
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Simple/cheap/easily accessible carbon sources like vinegar/ vodka have been proven over and over again to increase bacterial counts...

Reef specific similar products have NOT been proven to be anymore beneficial
my thoughts exactly, zeovit advocates would advise against it but I simply see no reason why wouldnt one use just other carbon source.
I bought into idea that adding their zeobac which supposedly contains several specific bacterial strains is beneficial thing but bacterial food imo must be different story altogether.

Current Tank Info: 120g anemone tank
Jadran is offline   Reply With Quote