Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/04/2020, 09:17 AM   #26
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

FWIW- I believe the RO should be above the sink.
Changing filters will result in some water leaking & getting under a sink with plumbing & a wrench will be a challenge, then getting wet & having to clean up. NOt my cup of tea.
I use a 55 gallon barrel over a 30 gallon for water, both are fresh with the bottom being for top off. I mix in a separate 30 gallon that I house in the garage until needed. I think you would save space with this arrangement, Even 2- 30's would work well.
I can send a pics with an email address. Get the sump off the floor! This will result in almost -0- head for a pump, save your back & knees, make maintenance less of a chore.

Unread 04/04/2020, 01:02 PM   #27
hkgar
Registered Member

I have an AWC and just leave the sand bed cleaning to the critters. I actually have very little visible sand.

I use two brute 32 gallon containers for AWC and ATO. I have a third 52 gallon Brute for de-gassing my water after RO as I am on a well with high co2 levels. Even without the need for de-gassing it would work well to hold your ro/di water till it was time to make new salt water

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2020, 01:12 PM   #28
hkgar
Registered Member

Other things down the road to maybe consider in your planning
Calcium Reator or before that
Two part dosing system
ATO system and storage
Algae Turf Scrubber
Carbon Dosing
GFO dosing
Controller system ( use Apex)
Power outlets and location ( I use about 20)
20 amp circuit for outlets

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2020, 09:52 AM   #29
Blue Reef 06
Registered Member

We are finally making progress. Water mixing station is built and needs plumbed. Sink goes in next. We will put the RO/DI over the sink and then the sump is going on a stand itself. Tank is ordered and should be here in another week or so.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resized_20200505_125422.jpg (48.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Resized_20200505_125410.jpg (48.4 KB, 19 views)
Unread 05/09/2020, 09:57 AM   #30
Blue Reef 06
Registered Member

btw, the top portion of the water tanks has a slight curve to them. Anyone have experience with Uniseal bulkheads?

Unread 05/09/2020, 04:44 PM   #31
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

What do you want to do with a Uniseal?

Unread 05/09/2020, 06:15 PM   #32
Blue Reef 06
Registered Member

I am working on how I want to plumb the water mixing station. The BRS website recommends using the Uniseal bulkheads if you have a curved surface b/c regular bulkheads won't give a great seal. I was going to use it as an inlet for fresh water from the upper tank to the lower tank. That is going to to have a valve and be fed by gravity.

Unread 05/10/2020, 08:57 AM   #33
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

I would go from the bottom of the container, through the platform to just above the cover.
I would be wary of a uniseal because of the forces needed to open the valve.
I would prefer a heavy duty bulkhead. All of this could also be accomplished with a pump & hose with no holes necessary. Might just be the way to go for now until everything is operational for a while.

Unread 05/25/2020, 10:38 AM   #34
Blue Reef 06
Registered Member

COVID has been holding up some supplies, so the basement remodel is a bit behind schedule. New stand/canopy for tank should be delivered this week (needs finished) and tank is going to be here the week after. Will post pictures when we have more progress.

In the meantime, need to pick out flooring for the fish room - what does everybody have? My thought was to put down some kind of rubber/foam flooring to put on the concrete so that if I drop something it is less likely to break. Ideas?

Unread 05/26/2020, 04:07 AM   #35
Kaiser699a
Registered Member

In an earlier post you mentioned about matching pumps to move water through a frag tank. Maybe I missed something where you have since changed that. Trying to match pumps to run at the same rate is problematic and will result in a flood.

180g (US) DT with 30g (US) sump. Softies and LPS. Red Fire Fish, Royal Gramma, 2x Ocellaris Clowns, 2 Spot Tang, 4x Green Chromis, Lyretail Anthias, One Spot Foxface, 2x Azure Damsels, Green Clown Gob
Kaiser699a is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2020, 01:58 PM   #36
lionfish300
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Reef 06 View Post
COVID has been holding up some supplies, so the basement remodel is a bit behind schedule. New stand/canopy for tank should be delivered this week (needs finished) and tank is going to be here the week after. Will post pictures when we have more progress.

In the meantime, need to pick out flooring for the fish room - what does everybody have? My thought was to put down some kind of rubber/foam flooring to put on the concrete so that if I drop something it is less likely to break. Ideas?
For flooring I think tiles wood be a good choice easy to clean and spilling would not be a problem. If you have a floor drain would been great. I seen in your picture of your fishroom are you not finishing the walls?

lionfish300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2020, 05:23 AM   #37
Blue Reef 06
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser699a View Post
In an earlier post you mentioned about matching pumps to move water through a frag tank. Maybe I missed something where you have since changed that. Trying to match pumps to run at the same rate is problematic and will result in a flood.
Totally agree - we scrapped that idea due to the same concerns!

Unread 06/01/2020, 05:26 AM   #38
Blue Reef 06
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionfish300 View Post
For flooring I think tiles wood be a good choice easy to clean and spilling would not be a problem. If you have a floor drain would been great. I seen in your picture of your fishroom are you not finishing the walls?
I was leaning towards some kind of foam or rubber floor tiles too - something where I can drop things and they don't have a 99% chance of breaking! There is a floor drain in the space and we opted not to finish the walls. There will be a plastic shield behind the sump to protect the wall from salt spray and I am going to hang an equipment board from the studs.

Unread 06/01/2020, 09:25 AM   #39
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Instead of a plastic sheet get a board of FRP, 4 x 8 Fiberglass reinforced plastic.
It will look so much better & is water safe.