Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/11/2019, 06:11 PM   #1
Boochika
Registered Member

Reef Brite Live Rock Enhance

So a few months ago I had some algae issues due to me negecting the tank a bit, but I've fixed all of my known issues so far and the tank is now doing great.

No more algae is growing, however, there is some dead hair algae still on the rocks. It's white and stringy and in just a few places along with some slight film on the rocks in some places where other algaes had died off.

After seeing Melev's Reef youtube video today it seems like Reef Brite Live Rock Enhance could go a long way in cleaning off my rocks without me having to manually scrape them and pull them out to get them clean.

Has anyone used this product in the past to any avail? As you will see from some of my other posts I also want to clean the rocks a bit to initiate coralline algae growth and I suspect this could help.

Anyone know about assessor fish? Seems cool but I haven't seen much about them on the forum

Current Tank Info: 80 gallon simple set up with sump filtration
Boochika is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2019, 09:51 PM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

I have been skeptical about bacterial products for a long time. You could give it a shot, but I don't know what to expect. Seeding with some appropriate coralline algae might be appropriate if you're not seeing growth. There seems to be various strains that need differing light levels, in my experience.

Unread 02/12/2019, 06:03 PM   #3
dkeller_nc
Registered Member

I'd second this - it seems this product is primarily aimed at initial "seeding" of dry rock with nitrobacter, nitrosomonas, and possibly related species. Since you noted that your tank was doing great, the naturally cautious scientist in me would suggest "don't add unknowns to the tank" if it were mine.

dkeller_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2019, 06:05 PM   #4
Boochika
Registered Member

That's how I feel thanks for bringing me back.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Anyone know about assessor fish? Seems cool but I haven't seen much about them on the forum

Unread 03/06/2019, 05:33 PM   #5
reeferKen
Registered Member

Anyone have time to try out Live Rock Enhance? Thanks

reeferKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2019, 05:34 PM   #6
Boochika
Registered Member

I never did try it

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Unread 03/29/2019, 08:31 AM   #7
rawhideshaba
Registered Member

Currently on week 3 of use and it seems to be doing pretty well. My system is a mixed tank with softies/lps/sps/clams/ and a diverse CUC including cucumbers and cleaner shrimp. It hasn't disturbed any of the coral or CUC in any negative way, at least that i can see with just my eyes.

My rock did get what looked like diatoms for about 3 days. I think this is due to the increased amount of nastiness getting eaten up and added to the system. This went away and the coraline is starting to look completely different. I now have the very bright orange spots of coraline all over my rocks that slowly turns purple over a few days.

I have been watching one extremely porous rock that my zoa garden has been growing on as it has always been a detritus trap and always has those small hair detritus bunches on it. These have started to disappear without me scrubbing the rock. It is not doing anything miraculous by my eyes but my tank does seem very very clean as of late.

Also my Refugium is extremely clean. I am positive this stuff is helping eat the nastiness out of my chaetomorpha as it has never looked so good.

Less glass cleaning for sure and the sand looks very clean.

rawhideshaba is offline   Reply With Quote