Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/07/2010, 03:20 PM   #1
cerino
Registered Member

Need help with diy cover for custom tank!

Hi all,
so its about that time to get a cover on my tank - i have had 5 fish total in my tank - 3 which have jumped - and believe it or not my last one is a six line wrasse who has jumped twice but i caught him (once in mid air-ha). i have a 12g nano (looks like the mr. aqua long) approx 36" x 7" x 7" - anyway i have a HOB and 2 clamps on the side holding my lighting.

So i was speaking to someone at the LFS and he was saying to get a piece of 1/4" plexi cut (since its rimless i have to go a little over so it stays right.) so about 37" x 8" - anyhow it seems EVERY place i call is charging a RIDICULOUS amount with those cutouts. PLEASE does anyone have an alternative ? maybe a different material? im not even fond of getting a cover since i love my look now. please let me know and give pics if you have. id be willing to get a custom canopy built for me but wouldt know where to start. i am located in north jersey.

cerino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2010, 09:11 PM   #2
glazer
Registered Member.

So, when you say you need help with your DIY cover, are you asking about a way to do the cut outs yourself? Double face tape and a plywood template or strips of plywood if just notching... small router(or router table) with a flush cut bit and you have cut outs

Steve

Current Tank Info: 20 gallon and 7 gallon nanos
glazer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diy cover