Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/12/2019, 09:13 PM   #251
nightOwl
Premium Member

Things are plugging along I have lost a few corals and a few fish since the last update but added a few more and have two more in QT. I accidentally ordered three Flame Cardinalfish (Apogon spp.) thinking they were Stop Light Cardinals. They all died! Not sure why they are sold in groups at all they hate each other to death....literally I moved my two black clowns to the Frag tank with my older clown and to my amazement she is still fertile. In the last month or so she has laid two clutches of eggs. So my black pair of clown separated and one took to my original clown. My mated pair of Orange Spotted Goby's also have parted ways. Since my last update I purchased a Flame Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus jordani) female that is now in the display tank along with a new Curly-Que Snapping Shrimp. I have two wrasses in QT a Hooded Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus bathyphilus) female and a Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus carpenteri) male.

I also picked up some new corals since the last update and will try to get some good pictures of them in the coming days.

LEDS are still a pain in the bottom but some of the corals I have noticed have starting shifting color since I aquired them. A few are starting to show good color. I am getting good growth on corals so I'm not complaining too much. I do plan on adding some supplemental T5 lighting to the main disaplay and maybe replacing them on the frag all together. I am still up in the air about it. I even dug up my old MH lights from the garage. I want to plug them in and see if I can match the Radium look with my eye right now tank may be a bit too blue. Plus having to post edit every picture is getting old...lol.

Things are plugging along...lost a few corals and a few fish since the last update but added a few more and have two more in QT. I accidentally ordered three flame cardinals thinking they were Stop Light Cardinals. They all died! Not sure why they are sold in groups at all they hate each other to death....literally I=I moved my two black clowns to the Frag tank with my older clown and to my amazement she is still fertile. In the last month or so she has laid two clutches of eggs. So my black pair of clown separated and one took to my original clown.

LEDS are still a pain in the bottom but some of the corals I have noticed have starting shifting color since I aquired them. A few are starting to show good color. I am getting good growth on corals so I'm not complaining too much. I do plan on adding some supplemental T5 lighting to the main disaplay and maybe replacing them on the frag all together. I am still up in the air about it. I even dug up my old MH lights from the garage. I want to plug them in and see if I can match the Radium look with my eye right now tank may be a bit too blue. Plus having to post edit every picture is getting old...lol.

Coral Pictures

IMG_5493 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

IMG_5524 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

IMG_5549 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

IMG_5569 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

IMG_5668 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

IMG_5599 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

IMG_5600 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

IMG_5645 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

IMG_5668 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

IMG_5671 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Unread 06/12/2019, 09:19 PM   #252
nightOwl
Premium Member

IMG_6083 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

2.IMG_6085 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

3.IMG_6088 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

4.IMG_6094 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

IMG_6113 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

IMG_6137 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

IMG_6155 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

IMG_6157 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

IMG_6183 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

IMG_6188 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Unread 06/12/2019, 09:43 PM   #253
nightOwl
Premium Member

IMG_6207 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

IMG_6217 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

3. Looks Orange from above
IMG_6226 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

IMG_5631 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

IMG_6228 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

6.Second Clutch
IMG_5971 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

7. The First Clutch
IMG_5676 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

8. Old Fathful
IMG_5397 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

9. All Dead
IMG_5429 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

10. Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus carpenteri)
Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Unread 06/17/2019, 07:45 PM   #254
748S911
Registered Member

Wow!!! �� everything is doing great, and coloring up. I cant believe how big the orange cap is now.....

Do you have a clownfish nursery set up?

I'll take two �� �� clowns, Ive been eying a pair but haven't pulled trigger.

So happy everything is doing great in your system!

748S911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2019, 07:58 PM   #255
reefmutt
Registered Member

Wow! Nice update! Corals look super healthy and the pics are really good.

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2019, 07:14 AM   #256
nightOwl
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 748S911 View Post
Wow!!! �� everything is doing great, and coloring up. I cant believe how big the orange cap is now.....

Do you have a clownfish nursery set up?

I'll take two �� �� clowns, Ive been eying a pair but haven't pulled trigger.

So happy everything is doing great in your system!
Jesse,
Yea the cap looked pretty in the picture. I don't even want to take a new one after I fragged it...lol. Now its missing a gap...lol.

I have never tried to raise baby fry. I may move the wrasses from QT to the main tank soon and and use the QT as a staging area for them. The clowns actually laid another clutch of eggs this weekend. I may tweak their diet and see if I can get them to be viable hatchlings. This clutch was not as big as the last but still good size. LOL if I can get a few to hatch and catch them I will keep you posted. I think right now they are fish food...lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Wow! Nice update! Corals look super healthy and the pics are really good.
reefmutt - Thanks man. I try really hard to capture the real color of them as they are without photo shopping. That way when people stop by it's not like hey where is that insane color coral you posted and I show them a brown stick...lol. I am still trying to get better so hopefully they can only get better .

Unread 06/18/2019, 08:34 AM   #257
748S911
Registered Member

Lol, it will grow back super fast in your system.

The hatchlings eat live rotifers for first week, Miguel hurtado mixes the rotifers with phytoplankton. The rotifers eat the phytoplankton, now the fry eat a more nutritious meal.

You might have to raise all the fry in the quarantine tank away from all fish just the fry.

Unread 06/18/2019, 08:35 AM   #258
748S911
Registered Member

they eat rotifers for a week, then baby brine shrimp.

Unread 06/18/2019, 08:41 AM   #259
748S911
Registered Member

I wonder what cool color morphs you will get from an standard clown and black clown? hmmm?

Unread 06/20/2019, 06:35 AM   #260
nightOwl
Premium Member

Quote:
Lol, it will grow back super fast in your system.

The hatchlings eat live rotifers for first week, Miguel hurtado mixes the rotifers with phytoplankton. The rotifers eat the phytoplankton, now the fry eat a more nutritious meal.

You might have to raise all the fry in the quarantine tank away from all fish just the fry.
Quote:
they eat rotifers for a week, then baby brine shrimp.
Quote:
I wonder what cool color morphs you will get from an standard clown and black clown? hmmm?
Jesse,
I will have to do some research to see how hard it is actually raise some. I moved my wrasses into the main display yesterday. I have them in an acclimation box I made for my last tank. I have only seen hatch once with this clown years ago and I was around when they first released. They swam to my flashlight and then the fish ate them right in front of me...lol. I think it will probably just be a dark variation from them breading. Nothing too special.

On a side note I lost my lawnmower blenny in the main display. He had been getting skinny over the past few weeks. I guess he finally starved or something else was wrong because he was still trying to eat each day.

Unread 07/08/2019, 08:34 AM   #261
SPotter
Registered Member

Henry....everything is looking great! slow and steady wins the race my friend!!!! so happy to see everything is working out for you!

Am I really doing all of this for a fish tank??????

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
SPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2019, 05:55 AM   #262
nightOwl
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPotter View Post
Henry....everything is looking great! slow and steady wins the race my friend!!!! so happy to see everything is working out for you!
Thanks Steve. Things are plugging along slowly but surely. My new battle is with phosphates due to how heavy I feed combined with my cheato melting away. Not sure what caused it too much light or if the phosphates were too low but now they are nice and high. So a new hurdle has presented itself. There is now some dark algae that no critter is eating starting to grow on the rocks as well. Ahh the joys of reefing. Oh and one of my frags went missing...it was starting to color up nicely.

IMG_6113 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Unread 07/09/2019, 08:07 AM   #263
2k3Mach
Registered Member

Seems you have a pretty extravagant setup and looks great. But question is since you have multiple external QT tanks, can I ask why you didn't plumb the frag tank into the same sump as the display tank?

2k3Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2019, 09:47 AM   #264
nightOwl
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k3Mach View Post
Seems you have a pretty extravagant setup and looks great. But question is since you have multiple external QT tanks, can I ask why you didn't plumb the frag tank into the same sump as the display tank?
2k3Mach - Hello and thanks for the kind words. I like to keep my frag tanks separate from my main display in case anything goes horribly wrong I have a place where I can back corals I feel like saving. Currently my frag tank is garbage. Its just a algae grow out tank. I probably will switch the lighting over from LED to T5 on the Frag tank in a month or so but still undecided.

Unread 07/09/2019, 10:04 AM   #265
2k3Mach
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightOwl View Post
2k3Mach - Hello and thanks for the kind words. I like to keep my frag tanks separate from my main display in case anything goes horribly wrong I have a place where I can back corals I feel like saving. Currently my frag tank is garbage. Its just a algae grow out tank. I probably will switch the lighting over from LED to T5 on the Frag tank in a month or so but still undecided.

Well... I know you have put a lot of work into that and I hope you don't decide the hobby isn't for you anymore! Alot of time & money spent there - enjoy it. Just be careful and try not to get "too automated" as that's when you'll start having issues

2k3Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2019, 01:15 PM   #266
nightOwl
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k3Mach View Post
Well... I know you have put a lot of work into that and I hope you don't decide the hobby isn't for you anymore! Alot of time & money spent there - enjoy it. Just be careful and try not to get "too automated" as that's when you'll start having issues
2k3Mach - I plan to stick it out and get back to my old glory days where my old tank was packed with SPS and some nice sized mini colonies and some large ones too. I'm just getting a few things squared away and changing things in smaller increments. The frag tank is more of experiment area but I can grow corals in both of them. Automation is so much better than the old days of DJ switches and home made timers...lol. I will try not to make it too automated though .

Unread 07/10/2019, 09:28 PM   #267
nightOwl
Premium Member

I will post some tank updates tomorrow but I had a chance to pull some pictures off the camera earlier today. Corals are growing and colors are looking great. There are a few new additions.

1.IMG_6830 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

2.IMG_6820 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

3.IMG_6803 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

4.IMG_6799 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

5.IMG_6796 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

6. IMG_6779 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

7. IMG_6768 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

8. IMG_6759 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

9. IMG_6742 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

10. IMG_6731 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Unread 07/10/2019, 09:32 PM   #268
nightOwl
Premium Member

1. IMG_6712 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

2. IMG_6709 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

3. IMG_6706 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

4. IMG_6702 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

5. IMG_6694 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

6. IMG_6683 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

7. IMG_6667 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

8. IMG_6663 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

9. IMG_6653 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

10. IMG_6636 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Unread 07/10/2019, 09:35 PM   #269
nightOwl
Premium Member

1. IMG_6632 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

2. IMG_6630 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

3. IMG_6608 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

4. IMG_6604 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

5. IMG_6601 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

6. IMG_6596 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

7. IMG_6594 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

8. IMG_6592 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

9. IMG_6591 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

10. IMG_6579 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Unread 07/10/2019, 09:36 PM   #270
nightOwl
Premium Member

1. IMG_6545 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

2. IMG_6544 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Unread 07/14/2019, 03:56 PM   #271
OrionN
Moved on

Very nice pictures. Nice tank.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2019, 07:47 PM   #272
nightOwl
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
Very nice pictures. Nice tank.
OrionN - Thanks man. I am trying to increase my wrasse collection so I can be like you...lol. Your mirror trick has been helping.

Unread 07/14/2019, 08:25 PM   #273
nightOwl
Premium Member

Couple of Fish Shots
1. IMG_6719 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

2. IMG_6648 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

3. IMG_6647 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

4. IMG_6620 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

5. IMG_6517 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

6. IMG_6337 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

7. IMG_6387 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Unread 07/14/2019, 09:01 PM   #274
OrionN
Moved on

Nice pictures.
Please add name to the corals and fishes if you can.
I would love to know the names of your corals.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2019, 02:33 PM   #275
reefmutt
Registered Member

Nice Henry, corals are really starting to take off.
Love the hammer/wrasse shot.

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote