Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Genesis Reef Systems
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09/08/2017, 08:01 AM   #1
Tikosyn
Registered Member

Best salt mix for storing saltwater?

Does Genesis have any recommendations in regards to which salt mix to use for use with the Genesis AWC? I am planning on doing small water changes daily and wanted to know which salt mix would be best when the saltwater is being stored for 2-3 weeks at a time. At the moment I was planning on using Red Sea Coral Pro salt but Red Sea states it should not be stored long term. Thanks!

Tikosyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/11/2017, 10:58 AM   #2
GenesisReefSys
RC Sponsor

Hi Tikosyn,

I think if you use a circulation pump in your mixing bin and have the bin open so that there is plenty of surface area exposed to air for adequate gas exchange, the 2-3 weeks' worth of supply of replacement water will be fine. I probably wouldn't let it sit without circulation for too long to prevent it from going stagnant, though.

I haven't heard that about Red Sea Coral Pro salt before. I'm going to go read up!

Kevin

Old 09/11/2017, 11:12 AM   #3
GenesisReefSys
RC Sponsor

Hi Tikosyn,

Well, scratch everything I said above. Red Sea Coral Pros salt mix does indeed recommend that it shouldn't be mixed with a circulation pump more than four hours. They must have a good reason for stating that. And I don't think I'd leave big batches of it sitting around for a long period of time without some form of circulation.

Perhaps contacting their customer support line would yield a better explanation. I apologize for the inaccurate recommendation above! You learn something new every day.

Kevin

Old 10/22/2017, 11:25 AM   #4
slief
RC Sponsor

I use cheap instant ocean salt mix (non reef blend) for my reef. I have 100 gallon mixing bin and use 35 gallons a week. I top it off once a week. My mix pump is programmed to come on every 3 hours and it runs for 15 minutes at a time. When I mix up new salt water, I hit a button and the pump will run for 1 hour to mix the salt. My new salt water never stagnates or smells. I keep my mixing tank covered at all times. I will note that I do have a large system with about 700 gallons of total volume.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is online now   Reply With Quote